Dolby Atmos

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by skywalker1978, Jan 16, 2021.

1. skywalker1978

skywalker1978 Member

When I am watching movies with an Atmos track and I go to the playback menu of my Z9S it shows Dolby TrueHD as the best option. I have never noticed showing Dolby Atmos. Both audio formats are different but I assume Atmos is the better of them. Is the Player playing True HD even tough the audio format of the movie is Atmos or it just shows True HD and plays atmos?

leviathan likes this.
  2. leviathan

leviathan New Member

I'll tell you more. I have never seen the player indicate that it is playing DTS X during playback. Although the receiver displays the incoming signal correctly. Many DTS-HD MA tracks are displayed by the player as simply DTS. Movies with 96 or 192 kHz sound on the player are displayed as 48 kHz.
    I wrote in support about this, but they didn't answer anything.
    True, I have Z1000, but I think the difference is not great.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Atmos is contained in a TrueHD wrapper so this is correct.

If you play an Atmos track and the Zidoo is set to bitstream audio and you have an Atmos capable amp (set up for Atmos!), the amp will extract the Atmos data from the TrueHD stream.

4. skywalker1978

skywalker1978 Member

Thank you very much for explenation! :)

5. Jason_77

Jason_77 New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it and thought my response might help others who are facing this same problem.
    you've encountered a common confusion between Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos. These are indeed two different audio formats, but they are closely related. Dolby Atmos data is actually carried within the Dolby TrueHD bitstream, so when you see Dolby TrueHD being displayed, it might mean that the Atmos track is also being played.
    Your Z9S player could be showing Dolby TrueHD as the best option because it's recognizing that TrueHD track, which may very well contain the Atmos data. The hardware and software you're using may be playing the Atmos content without explicitly displaying "Atmos."
    If you want a more detailed comparison and understanding of Dolby TrueHD vs. Atmos, check this guide: https://hifiaudios.com/home-theater/dolby-truehd-vs-atmos/

6. Philip Brown

Philip Brown New Member

Hi, stumbled across this post and I have a question. When playing a movie from an iso file, my receiver recognises Atmos no problem, but when using an app called CinemaHD, I get basic surround, no Atmos. I’ve tried using bitstream output, but can’t get Atmos at all. Any ideas?