Does the Z9X eSata support multiple drive bay using port multiplier?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by HDGuy, Sep 5, 2021.

1. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

I asked in the Z9X thread but didn't get an answer.

I have a 8 drive Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 drive bay (JBOD). It only supports multiple drives through eSata if the controller supports "port multiplier" otherwise only 1 drive will be seen. You can't really use USB with this particular bay because it's unreliable and keeps dropping connection.

Anyone know the answer to this?

2. Edworld

Edworld Member

@HDGuy Did you already have the mediasonic before buying the zidoo and had you experience any disconnecting issues before?

I have the same mediasonic connected to a windows10 computer via USB using HaneWIN to feed all my media. I did not have any issues before zidoo.

3. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

Yes, and yes. The eSata port is the only way to reliably connect, and that’s only if the controller supports the port multiplier feature. Unfortunately my eSata port is broken and the USB port has never been reliable- I think this is a common problem with a lot of external drive bays that use Realtek controllers.

Edworld likes this.
  4. Edworld

Edworld Member

Interesting...

I've had mediasonics for 8+ years with no issues. I understand that maybe recent windows 10 updates broke connectivity. I may have to reconnect vero 4k+ to see if it happens.

Thanks

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am using multibay HDD Docking Stations for years. Have a 10-slot unit with all 10 showing up.

6. Edworld

Edworld Member

Same here, all my drives always show up connected with usb...