Does a Z1000 PRO register a 16 TB HDD despite not officially supported ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Peter Romer, May 9, 2022.

1. Peter Romer

Peter Romer New Member

Hi
    I know that the supported max HDD size for the ZIDOO Z1000 PRO is 14 TB.
    I cannot find a 14 TB HDD that at the same time has good reviews and also relatively quiet. Most of the new bigger disks are as maybe expected a bit noisy.

Some buyers think that the Seagate Exos X18 Enterprise 16TB HDD CMR 3.5" is both performing excellent and relatively quiet.

So if anyone has tried to put a 16 TB in a Z1000 I would very much appreciate it.
    I am about to buy them very soon.

Alternatively there is the UHD3000 that supports 16 TB but a significant increase in price.

Thanks.
    Peter

rozel likes this.
  2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Interesting post. I thought all the Zidoo RTD 1619DR players supported the same max HDD size. @Nice Monkey , is this not the case?

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Newer players typically came with bigger sizes advertised as being supported. This simply as those where then current.
    There seems to be a general 16 TByte limit with the 32-bit Android OS itself and as such applying to all media players including Zidoo.

Informed Zidoo support about this specifically and asked for testing but never got an answer to that.

4. Peter Romer

Peter Romer New Member

Thanks for the quick answers. Cool.
    It was from the Funtional overview page Z1000 PRO: "Support SATA/USB(3.5/2.5) connection (hard drives up to 14TB)".
    I will take my chances and buy the 16 TB. I can always use it as a backup disk if it wont work in the Z1000 PRO. I will buy and post it here. Thanks again.

rozel likes this.
  5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Yes I understand that, my question though specifically centres on the Z1000 Pro. Can you state what the max size is for this model and if it is 14TB, why is this? and what is the limiting factor in this model please?

Thanks - I'll be interested in your findings :) - I currently use 2 swappable HDDs - 1 x8TB for Audio and 1 x 10TB for Films and TV Programmes. Looking to get a larger one for the latter, hence my interest

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

All Zidoo models will run just fine with a 16 TByte HDD as far as I know including Z10 Pro and Z1000 Pro models.

My guided testing (2 cases) with a 18 TByte HDD just confirmed the upper limit due to 32-bit Android using a 32-bit register for sector addressing. The problem with this limit is that when violating it will give just obscured errors (seems to work first but giving problems under undefined conditions). Reducing it to 17.5 TByte (=32-bit counter for 4K sectors) results in no problems.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Peter Romer and rozel like this.
  7. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Nice one thank you

8. Peter Romer

Peter Romer New Member

Thanks. :)

9. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

It seems to be an issue originating from Linux (which Android was based on) as older NAS's using EXT4 formatting can have a 16Tb limit imposed from the O/S.
    Old QNAP's could not expand beyond this unless re-formatted completely with larger drives installed and my 7-bay Thecus had to be changed to ZFS format to allow the total addressing to exceed the 16Tb limit using RAID 5.

rozel and Peter Romer like this.
  10. Peter Romer

Peter Romer New Member

@rozel @Nice Monkey :

My Z1000 is now running just fine with the Seagate 16 TB disk. (14,5 available NTFS). It has been running in a test period of a few weeks now. I would say its pretty trustworthy right now. Despite being an IT guy I made a mistake :rolleyes: with formatting of the disk prior to installing it. I went straight to disk Mng. in Windows 10 Enterprise and it failed formatting the disk a few times. I then used the Seagate Disk Wizard tool (Add New Disk), to initialize and format. After that operation Windows 10 would accept the disk.
    Regarding copying to the disk I had to begin with, the 16 TB targit disk, and the source disk of 4 TB, both connected via external USB 3 ports on my pc. The filesync would stop, so I put the 16 TB directly on internal SATA, and from here on everything has went smooth. After placing the disk inside the Z1000, I have copied to the disk over LAN and the disk has not shoed any failures or errors. It has been scraped quite a few times.

rozel likes this.