DMP-A6 + DAC-Z8 Combo

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by ammar11, May 30, 2023.

1. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Need your opinion and/or if you have experienced using the DMP-A6 as a transport, bypassing its DAC to feed to DAC-Z8 to do the conversion to analogue.

My story is, I was looking for a DAC and coming across the DAC-Z8 I’ve purchased that and it arrived last weekend.

Although I’m already using a Zidoo media player and been here many years, admittedly I didn’t follow theEverSolo line because I wasn’t looking for audio products. So only after I bought the DAC-Z8 that I discovered the DMP-A6.

So the reason I ask above, I’m thinking of selling the Z8 now that the A6 is on its way. But it also got me thinking what if I use both as a streamer + DAC combo? The Z8 has superior DAC and OPA chips and measured better than the A6’s DAC. Likely the difference won’t be audible, but just in case there will be or someone has experienced it I might keep the Z8 for the combo.

I’m reluctant to do the test myself because if I want to sell the Z8 I want it to be new in the box with the original seal, if I open it it immediately take the price down. Secondly the A6 will only arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Cheers.

2. Arcticpollen

Arcticpollen Active Member

I haven’t had the opportunity to test the DMP-A6 as a transport into the Z8 but I’m pretty sure that the topic has been raised in the ASR or AVForums discussions on the DMP. IIRC, Keith from Purité Audio who is an Eversolo dealer did try this out and could not hear any audible difference between the DMP on its own from when it was hooked up to the Z8. The measurements between the two devices are very unlikely to be audible.

Purité Audio are active on ASR so, if you’re a member there, I’m sure if you reach out to Keith, he’ll give you an honest opinion.

ammar11 likes this.
  3. Charlyro222

Charlyro222 New Member

For me there is noticiable improvements, not a huge diference but if you are lokking for the best sound, the best way is a6 and z8.

I read some people talking about this question that say are no diferences, but first I can listen is a better soundstage, and more things, but if that worth the price, only ups to you.

upload_2023-5-31_3-15-58.png

ammar11 and Spring like this.
  4. Babola

Babola New Member

As others mentioned above, the difference will be minuscule if any and you most likely won't be able to discern them.
    I'd sell the Z8, keep the A6 and call it a day. Less digital devices to keep around and look after, and simply a lot cleaner, streamlined looks. You can use the proceeds from the Z8 sale towards a speaker upgrade for example or whatever you feel like is a next update/upgrade step and path for you and your system.

ammar11 likes this.
  5. ammar11

Yep, saw his comment, added to my list of yes and no. Just want more opinions.

That looks awesome. The only reason I’m asking is because I already own the Z8, otherwise the DMP-A6 is sufficient. But thank you so much, that’s nice to hear that the improvement is noticeable for you, I respect that and added to the yes column.

Noted, I do have something in mind although not audio but still could use the money.

Yet to decide but keep them coming folks!

6. bigsatnet

bigsatnet New Member

IMG_8773.jpeg

ammar11 likes this.
  7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

What I will be able to try and for sure will do is connecting my Neo X as an external DAC via USB to the DMP-A6 as the music player.
    Not the first thing on the to-do list but will try that for sure. Will also compare with a Naim Streamer in a full high-end Naim Stereo setup.

The DAC of Neo X/Alpha is very comparable with a Z8. I do expect DMP-A6 to beat my Neo X/Alpha regarding sound via MCH HDMI though.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    ammar11 likes this.
  8. ammar11

Thanks! Looking forward to your findings but please take your time, my DMP-A6 will only arrive in a couple of weeks.

Different DAC can produce different sound if the chips are of highly different quality/implementation, but the Z8 is measured only slightly better than the A6 so it might not be audible. Which is why I’m looking for subjective opinion.

Some people say measurements mean nothing next to how it really sound, but on the other hand the sound is also subjective to the listener. Myself, I like to take both to help my decision, and finally of course a real life demo but that doesn’t always possible.