Disk activity?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by NormanC, Apr 20, 2024.

1. NormanC

NormanC New Member

Hey, on my 1000 Pro I have noticed that there is almost always constant disk activity.
    I can hear the internal HDD churning away almost all the time, even when screensaver is on and I haven't done anything on the unit for a long time.

What is causing this (can I see that somewhere/somehow) and how can I control it?
    I have "Automatic scan sources" set to OFF, "Automatic updating sources" to ON

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I think you mean "Automatic scan devices" - this is ad-hoc stuff plugged into the USB ports etc

"Automatic updating sources" means previously defined HT sources and this will constantly poll your sources to check for changes so that's probably what's going on.

You could turn that off - it just means when you add content you have to manually scan.

3. NormanC

NormanC New Member

But it shouldn't have to check for changes ALL THE TIME, surely?

4. NormanC

NormanC New Member

It seemed to have done the trick!, thanks ;)
    I guess I will just do manual scan when I update my library every once in a while

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I use NAS storage rather than local and if I Shark the Zidoo I can see the constant polling but in that case it's only network activity and doesn't wake NAS hard drives up unnecessarily due the way data is cached so no biggie - as far as network activity goes, it's negligible.

6. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

whilst you can set the internal Hard Drive rest to 10 minutes (in Settings), depending on the actual drive itself, this does not seem to work as expected.

I initially had an HGST 8Tb 7200rpm NAS drive inside my Z1000 Pro (removed from a previous media player) and it kept churning away and not "sleeping". Even when I was using NAS or external USB drives with no access required to the internal drive.
    After a bit of discussion on this forum, I replaced it with a slower 5Tb 2.5" drive (shucked from an external case as it was cheaper, and fitted to a holder for the 3.5" internal slot). It does not get constant access, has been very quiet and is no longer noticeable :D.