Difference between Media Centre & Home Theatre?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Nodeity, May 5, 2022.

1. Nodeity

Nodeity New Member

Is there a difference between Media Centre & Home Theatre on the Z9X?
    There are some HDR, Dolby Vision etc, type files that will play in one but not the other and vice versa. I thought the in house player would be used for both? BTW, the Z9X movie player is excellent.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No, it's the same player so you shouldn't see any difference in playback between one and the other.

3. Nodeity

Nodeity New Member

Heh! And yet? :)

4. Markswift2003

If you can supply a sample video that differs in playback I'd be interested to see it...

5. Nodeity

Nodeity New Member

Kinda hard to send a vid of something that won't play, but I appreciate the follow-up. The videos in question are 4k test samples from various vendors, with different HDR Dolby Vision and more specs. I'm using them more to calibrate my LG C1, which is hard to set up with so many video standards coming out. Media Centre will play some and Home Theatre will play others and vice versa. Thanks

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  6. Markswift2003

Just upload to Mega with a free account but since they're demos, I assume there's a link you downloaded from - just post one of those.

I'm just curious to know what happens - as I say, it's the same player and the parameters are global so if a file plays in MC, it plays in HT.

7. Nodeity

Nodeity New Member

No idea which ones did what, but very interested to see what you get out of them. :)

Attached Files:

8. Markswift2003

Downloading now - will test later and let you know what happens..

9. Markswift2003

Ok - I was curious to see these videos because I know that Media Center and HT both call the same player so there can't be any difference in playback between the two.

I've downloaded and tested and every file in the list above plays exactly the same in both Media Center and HT.

10. Nodeity

Nodeity New Member

Weird, could it be settings?
    Because I'm definitely having issues with these vids. Not that it matters that much, for the most part all the actual movies I run play OK, but I do find it strange. Any guess as to what settings might be throwing it off? or could it be some weird interaction with the LG C1? Thanks for the effort though, I appreciate it. :)

11. Markswift2003

No - settings are the same for both.