DD5.1 Audio Passthrough and Transcoding

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Jack van Gouda, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Jack van Gouda

Jack van Gouda New Member

Hi,

I have a Sonos Playbar and I have connected it to my Zidoo X9S (Firmware version 1.4.6, ZDMC version 17.1) through SPDIF connection and/or HDMI output ; this soundbar supports only Dolby Digital 5.1 (not DTS audio).

These are my settings:

Zidoo X9S Settings:
    HDMI Output: RAW
    SPDIF Output: RAW
    HDMI Rx Audio Format: RAW
    downmix Audio output: open

ZDMC:
    Enable Passthrough
    Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable Receiver
    Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) Transcoding
    Other passthrough options disabled

Now if I use the ZDMC with internal player everything works and X9S transcodes a DTS track in DD5.1, but if I use ZDMC with external player (ZIDOOPlayer) the trascoding doesn't work and I only got 2.0 sound.

This is not acceptable and I am also quite shocked that someone in this forum raised the same question almost one year ago but it is still not solved: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/spdif-audio-passthrough-and-transcoding.3193/

P.S. This is one of my main reasons to buy this tv box, as I presumed that I could finally enjoy a decent tv box together with my TV and Sonos system. But it seems that even such a small issue is simply not taken care of for such a long time. Sonos system is pretty popular in my country, and now I found myself very difficult to recommend this product to anyone who owns such system.

Thank for your help.

Jack

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Depends on how flexible you are with the box, what you want may not be possible using zdmc + external player. And seeing how zmdc still uses the zidoo hack to passtrough audio, things may change once they implement the damn android API, then again, it may not.

P.S. is there a reason you really want external player on ?

3. Jack van Gouda

The main reason I want external player is that it can automatically adjust the refresh rate (24hz, 23.976hz) when I am playing such content. I tried to install a Kodi on my x9s, but even I turned on "adjust display refresh rate" in the Kodi, this function does not work. It seems that this function only works for the external player. I am wondering if there is anyone who can get it work in Kodi?

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

if it's not working in ZDMC 17.3 than it's a bug, my TV switches to 24 hz from 60 when i play a movie

5. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

If convert DTS TO Dolby AC3, need to pay 40 USD license ;)

6. Jack van Gouda

Many thanks! Kodi with internal player can convert DTS to Dolby AC3 well, I can stick to Kodi, however, the function of "adjust display refresh rate" does not work, I am using the most recent version Kodi (17.3), does anyone experience the same issue?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  7. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Kodi or zdmc ? Because it won't work in pure kodi. Also, why you say it does not work ? Does the TV not switch to 24hz?

8. Jack van Gouda

Thanks, when I am using kodi with the "adjust display refresh rate" on, the TV does not switch to 24hz when I play the 24hz content.

9. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Yah. Kodi does not work. You need zdmc . Can be installed next to kodi. But you need to remove the old zdmc version first

10. Jack van Gouda

Thanks! Now my situation is like this:

Kodi: Can convert DTS 5.1 to Dolby 5.1, but cannot adjust display refresh rate
    Zdmc: Can adjust the display refresh rate, but cannot convert DTS 5.1 to Dolby 5.1

Is there any way to realize both of the functions to work in either Kodi or Zdmc? Many thanks!

11. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Hmm. Zdmc should not have that problem. Not sure what's up with that. It may get fixed once zdmc gets proper android API passtrough. Only @mirror can tell you when that happns

12. Jack van Gouda

Hi Mirror, can I ask if DTS 5.1 to Dolby 5.1 decoding can be added in the near future? Or it will be not happening? Thanks!

I think it is quite important for all the users with Sonos 5.1 systems, as I am strongly prefer to use the external player to get a much better graphic quality, while enjoy the DTS 5.1.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017