Crushed blacks and blown out whites on Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Darrinb, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Darrinb

Darrinb Member

I know there has been quite a bit of talk about the different engines affecting HDR and SDR with either crushed blacks, blown out whites, ....or both.

I've read a TON of different posts (thank you Mark for your seemingly infinite amount of knowledge on the matter), but at the end of the day I'm still confused on best settings for "my" setup.

I'm still getting either raised blacks/whites in many modes to my JVC NX7 Projector. I auditioned the latest release of The Godfather, and the first few minutes of the film, the guys face (asking for a favor) was so blown out and contrasty, I couldn't do anything to get it looking right.

My current settings are: VS10 engine for HDR and Dolby Vision. I do have LLDV selected and am using the first EDID. I turned them off and tried it, same thing. I also changed to 0 to 255 as well, but black levels still look pretty light. Btw, I have my projector set to "Auto" for HDR/SDR, and in this mode, I have to change the projector manually from SDR to HDR when HDR content starts.

Has this black issue been solved in a newer firmware release? Any other possibilities I may be missing?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The black issue - and it wasn't black crush, it was raised black, was when using the VS10 engine to output HDR or particularly SDR, and yes, this has been fixed by adjusting HDMI levels in those modes - can't remember which firmware, but it was a while back.

in order to use LLDV you need to use a custom gamma curve loaded into the JVC because the Zidoo does not produce an HDR SEI message, so when receiving an LLDV signal, the JVC thinks that the signal is SDR and applies settings accordingly - you can override the colour space to BT.2020 ok but you need a custom gamma to take care of the HDR transfer function which means loading it through the JVC calibration tool via TCP/IP.

The other option is an HDFury device which will supply the correct HDR message to trigger HDR mode in the PJ - If you really want to play with LLDV, I'd absolutely definitely recommend getting a Vertex 2 or similar - as a side note, I would honestly recommend anyone at all with an interest in this hobby, and particularly with a projector, and particularly with a JVC projector to get one anyway ;)

Without doing either of the above I'd recommend the following settings for your setup (turn Custom EDID off):

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution
    Display/HDR: Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For DV content)
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235
    Display/HDMI Mode: 3840x2160p 23Hz

This means that SDR and HDR are played natively, and Dolby Vision is handled by the VS10 engine and output as HDR10.

This also means you can take advantage of dynamic tone mapping with the JVC for HDR and DV content.

I just loaded an NX7 EDID and tested this which means my Zidoo will act exactly the same as yours, and levels were spot on.

Drummerboy1962 and Darrinb like this.
  3. Darrinb

Darrinb Member

Thank you Mark! Do you know what kind of gamma curve would I need to load into the projector? I did notice that when trying 4K content, it was loading into SDR. Am I able to just manually switch it into HDR when I load 4K HDR/DV content?

Do you think that NX7 EDID will be available at some point soon?

Additionally, I have a Vertex 2 that I haven't opened and/or started to play with. Honestly, I'm trying to make my setup easier and less complicated so I've been avoiding it. The Vertex 2 looks pretty complicated to setup, let alone get to a "set it and forget it" picture.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

This is the gamma curve I made for my X7000 for LLDV and I have a friend who uses the same curve on an NZ series with LLDV:

https://mega.nz/file/QLh23AQJ#luwScsTSoMCuDoZR8yiMRcayNqHFyELS2zxMygbIbxs

You have to load it with the JVC Calibration software into one of the 3 custom gamma slots.

Then create a picture profile using the BT.2020 colour profile and this custom gamma - you need to set the "Correction Value" to Import to use the custom gamma.

Call that Picture Profile something like "LLDV" and you should be good to go - you set the Zidoo to LLDV and chose that picture profile - the BT.2020 colour profile takes care of the colour and my gamma curve takes care of the transfer function.

It's well worth getting your head around the HDFury though - there's a lot of good people always willing to help out here, and HDFury are there often.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/hdfury-vertex2-owners-thread.3069170/page-239

Not sure what you mean by "Do you think that NX7 EDID will be available at some point soon?" - you already have it - it's in your NX7!! I must have just got a copy of it from an NX7 user at some point...

Darrinb likes this.
  5. Darrinb

Darrinb Member

I thought this was something that would be added (and selected) in the EDID section in the Zidoo menu. See, told ya this stuff was confusing:)

Drummerboy1962 and Markswift2003 like this.