Controlling the Zidoo player using a tablet

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by mctree, Sep 4, 2023.

1. mctree

mctree New Member

Hi everyone. I'm considering buying a X9S Zidoo player, and I'm trying to understand how the Zidoo Controller APP works.

Long story short, I'm tetraplegic, my hand dexterity is very low, and I've been using a rather old media player for the past 12 years, the ASUS R1. It's a cheap and very simple player, and it served me well, but it's starting to fail, and I need to replace it. But besides that, unfortunately I've been losing more and more physical capabilities, and I'm now unable to hold the remote. So, I need to find a solution. As you can imagine, having to ask someone to put another episode or movie is rather frustrating.

I've been reading about mediaplayers, and the Zidoo players seem perfect for my needs, I'm hoping I can control the player using a tablet. As far as I can see, the GUI is relatively simple, with big buttons. Besides allowing me to choose the files I want to play, from an external HDD, it needs to be easy to put subtitles, allow me to offset the subtitles 200, 400, or 600 milliseconds if necessary, and move the subtitles up and down.

Can someone please say if there's any difference between the app on the X9S and the most recent players, in particular the Z9X? Should I buy a the Z9X instead? Or are both player similar in this regard?

I'm also trying to understand how exactly the Zidoo controller app works, is it through Wi-Fi? Or Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions.

2. mctree

mctree New Member

Can someone please chime in?

3. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I can’t give you a definitive answer but afaik it’s Wi-Fi. My iPad is on the same network as the Zidoo.

mctree likes this.
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Obviously this is very much going to hinge on your motor abilities so impossible for anyone to judge whether the app is suitable, but my gut feeling is that it would be fine - if for no other reason than you seem to have looked into it and feel you would be OK with the interface.

As for which model - forget about X9S - that's a very old model and very much out dated and no longer actively developed.

My feeling is go for the Z9X - it's not the latest model (that's the Z9X Pro) but I think you could probably do without the headaches of waiting for the firmware for the new models to become more stable. The Z9X is very stable and very capable.

As @Netmask says, the app works over a local network so as long as the tablet and Z9X are on the same network, it'll be fine.

mctree likes this.
  5. mctree

mctree New Member

Thank you very much for your posts, guys. I feel more confident now.

The reason I'm considering the X9S is I have the opportunity to buy a used unit for a reasonable price. The Z9X is significantly more expensive, and without knowing if I will be able to use the app, it's a bigger gamble. That's why I asked if the GUI is similar or equal, between the older machines and the most recent ones.

Even if the X9S stops working in one or 2 years, by then I will already know if I can indeed control Zippo players using the app, efficiently, and if yes I would certainly buy one of the latest models.

6. mctree

mctree New Member

Just a small update, I'm happy to report that I bought a brand-new Z10 PRO. As I mentioned above, I was considering buying a older used unit, but for some reason the seller decided to vanish, and I pulled the trigger this Monday on a new unit.

I received it today, and I'm still getting used to everything, but so far it seems great.