Cannot get LLDV to work

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by AngryVirginian, Mar 15, 2022.

1. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

I am on .75 firmware on my Z10 Pro and I cannot get LLDV to work. The settings on Dolby Vision compatibility screen make no difference and the signal to the TV (as shown from the Zidoo info button and on my Denon receiver) always show TV-Led 8-bit regardless of the setting. The only way I could get LLDV to work is by choosing the Dolby Vision Low Latency option in the HDR setting page (the last option). However, I am not sure whether I should select that option over Dolby Vision VS10 Engine for All Contents.

Devices in the HDMI chain are
    • Denon x3700H
    • LG C9 TV
    @Markswift2003, can you help please.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Right - bit complicated this one, but here goes...

"Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For all content)" is a bit of an odd one and is really designed for TVs that only support SDR or SDR/HDR.

In the case of a TV that supports TV Led Dolby Vision, regardless of whether it supports LLDV as well, "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For all content)" will output TV Led for all content and the GUI regardless of what the compatibility setting is. This is kind of mentioned in the help text.

On the face of it this doesn't make sense, however, since you are also presented with an LLDV HDR option when LLDV is also supported and TV Led is of course the only available mode if not, then it does make sense... As I say, complicated, but almost logical ;)

In the case of a TV that only supports LLDV then this option is unavailable since "Dolby Vision Low Latency (LLDV,YUV422,12Bit)" does the same job, but this time with LLDV output.

So with your TV, which supports both modes, the first case is true.

So it depends what you want to achieve.

1. If you want all content and the GUI to be presented in LLDV, then choose "Dolby Vision Low Latency (LLDV,YUV422,12Bit)"

2. If you want the GUI to be presented in Rec.709 but all content in LLDV then choose "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For SDR, HDR, DV content)" but Dolby Vision Compatibility must be set to Priority LLDV.

If you really want to use LLDV over TV Led and want all content to be converted, then I recommend "Dolby Vision Low Latency (LLDV,YUV422,12Bit)"

leonkoum and AngryVirginian like this.
  3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Thanks @Markswift2003. My goal is to reduce the number of HDMI resync as much as possible so I convert everything to DV.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

In that case, either set "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For all content)" if you want all content output in TV Led DV or "Dolby Vision Low Latency (LLDV,YUV422,12Bit)" if you want all content output in Player Led DV. Theoretically both should look the same but generally, because different chipsets are processing in each case, they don't - so it's personal preference.

Also set the resolution/frame rate the same as the majority of your content (I use 3840x2160p 23Hz since all my content is 4K and most is 4K23).

If you set to 3840x2160p 23Hz then you might as well let the Zidoo upscale rather than the TV, so set Auto Framerate to "Match frame rate only".

Now the only time you'll see a resync is if the content frame rate isn't 23.976fps.

AngryVirginian likes this.