Bricked the Z9S in the process of firmware upgrading...

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by Raymond Lim, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Raymond Lim

Raymond Lim Member

Guys, I've encountered what I believed to be a bootloader corruption. I tried the base firmware version 1.78 in an attempt to revive the device but to no avail. When switched on, there is no display and the bootloader just kept looping itself. For what its worth, I came across this so-called rescue X9S from brick firmware update and I wondered is there any for Z9S? here's the link: https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/support_guide/guide_target/LpUhOsHcwiveq7k9e[ld]3ulg==.html

Is there a way to "revive" from this firmware issue? Or is this going to be another "paper-weight" for me?

Any help appreciated.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

In fact I have a Z9S unit right now (send to me by the unlucky owner) with a very similar problem:
    The front display shows "Boot" or "UP - - "depending on pressing the Reset button or not during power-on.
    Nothing shows up on my TV. The USB stick will flash the activity led for hours but no luck getting it loaded.

Tried this formula on it as there is nothing to lose here it seems. Did not help, but yes it does something adding these files. The USB stick may start flashing with it without pressing Reset.

A question here is this by any chance an original chinese unit?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  3. catorcio

catorcio Member

could you try to modify the basic 1.78 firmware as indicated

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

It is not a modification. It is merely extracting those mentioned files from the IMG file (which in fact is just a renamed ZIP file).
    Repeat it does not work for me. Nothing on the TV either.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  5. catorcio

catorcio Member

It's strange that you hesitate to take such a risk for such an expensive box. If I did, I'd never buy a Zidoo in my life.

6. Lala77

Lala77 New Member

After downgrading, I had 2 boxes of bricks for the Z9S and the X9S.
    About a year ago Zidoo changed the bootloader, and the box will become a brick wall if it is downgraded to a much older version.
    Unfortunately, no repair is possible even through the UART connector. Then I decided not to buy a zidoo device anymore.
    Sorry, English is not my native language