Black level internal player in ZDMC

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Jack van Gouda, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Jack van Gouda

Jack van Gouda New Member

Hello,

I decided to stick to the internal player in ZDMC rather than the external player, because only the internal player can simultaneously do both of the conversion of DTS 5.1 to DD 5.1 (due to my Sonos 5.1 system), and the automatic adjustment display refresh rate.

However, there is only one issue remains, that the external player does the back level right, but the image of the internal player is apparently washed out. I tried to adjust the black level option on my TV, my TV gets two black level options (low and high), but under either option the image is still watched out compared to the external player.

I also tried to find the option "limited color range" that used to be in Kodi, but I could not find it in ZDMC.

I also tried to switch among the RGB, ycbcr 444, 422, 420, but does not make any difference.

Thank for your help!

Jack

2. Jack van Gouda

I found a solution by myself, in Settings-Videos, only turn on select "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec", and turn off "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec (Surface)", then the back level of the internal player comes to normal.

I also compared the graphic quality of internal and external players, and I think the external player is slightly better. What is the reason behind it? As I need to stick to the internal player, is there any settings/tweaks that I can achieve the same graphic quality as the external player?

3. n_p

n_p Active Member

Its not a solution per se.

The issue is actually one that Zidoo should look into, because the blacklevel switching all over the place depending on weather you watch a video or not is actually something that should be fixed with a close to A priority. (Not top, but high...)

Both me and wesk05 have brought it up already - but this thread is actually a more precise description of it.

wesk05 also has posted measurements what levels are actually shifted and clipped and by how much. It differs between the GUI, ZDMCs internal player, the Kodi player, and is dependent on hardware acceleration on/off and potentially video mode chosen.

Also - currently between the two players and the gui, the Zidoo currently outputs three different black levels. So its not a "too light in one case" issue - its more than that (they are actually clipping color output in most cases, and differently so.)

Its something that I will look into further after the next firmware release.

Turning off hardware acceleration comes at a trade off that nobody wants. You could consider it a temporary workaround for some situations. But its not a fix.

4. Jack van Gouda

Hi, it is not indeed a solution but at least I can watch all my MKV collections in the right black level, and it is HARDWARE ACCELERATION, I simply turned off "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec (Surface)" while kept the option "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec" turning on to get the right color range for my TV.

5. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Hi,will solve it in next version.

boblo, Jack van Gouda and ton_dahlia like this.