Best video settings for 1080p projector?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Dhruv Mehta, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Dhruv Mehta

Dhruv Mehta New Member

Hi

I am using Z9x and I was wondering what would be the best video and display settings for the Sony 45es projector connected via Marantz SR7013?

Sony 45es is a 1080p projector without HDR, when I play HDR content it looks weird, non-HDR looks fine, anything to normalize the video?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You're either going to have to use Realtek HDR > SDR which has terrible colour conversion or you'll have to use VS10.

Realtek HDR to SDR is invoked with either HDR "auto" or "SDR Rec.709 Limited"

I would suggest setting HDR to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For all content)"

This will put all content through VS10, including the GUI, but you may find that black levels are raised - not sure with that projector. I suspect not, but if they are you can try setting Settings/Display/Colour Settings/HDMI Range to "0-255" to see if that mitigates it.

If you don't see raised blacks above, you could also try "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For HDR, DV content)" in which case SDR will pass through ans only HDR and DV will be converted to SDR using the VS10 engine.

3. Dhruv Mehta

Dhruv Mehta New Member

Thanks, will try these, and what about other options? There's something with EDID, colour compensation etc?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Unfortunately there's nothing a custom EDID can add and likewise with colour gamuts because of the restrictions of a 1080p Rec.709 projector.

With an BT.2020 and HDR capable projector the options widen because of the possibility of using Dolby Vision.