Audio format when recording from HDMI Input

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by Mats, May 21, 2015.

1. Mats

Mats New Member

If the HDMI-input has PCM audio format. Will the resulting recorded file also have PCM format?

2. warren_wh

warren_wh Active Member Staff Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

No, recording file is AAC format.

3. Mats

Mats New Member

Thank you for the reply. I record live classical music from public service radio broadcasting distributed via cable TV. For this I use a recordable Set Top Box (Humax). Listening to that past a DAC into a decent stereo equippment gives excellent audio quality. But it's cumbersome to handle because the recording features of the Humax box has no metadata when recording from radio. Therefore I copy my recordings past analog SCART to a DVD recorder, burn a DVD, and finally rip to FLAC in a PC. Sound is nice but notably reduced.
    Zidoo X9 would be great since all the handling of content would move to the PC. Being novice I'm trying to Google my way to understand what the audio quality might be using the X9 and AAC. If the bitrate is high, perhaps the quality could be quite good anyway. If I understand it correctly quality of AAC vary depending on bitrate. Have you any idea how to find out more about audio quality of X9?

4. Scott

Scott Member

Since this is the topic I am having issues with I hope you don't mind a question I have . I tried recording and have No audio from a cable box but the Zidoo will only pass the cable box audio if I set the Zidoo to Raw so I can only assume that the Zidoo X9 can't record a Raw audio format is this correct ? The HD video is acceptable though.

5. Mats

Mats New Member

I found than in my case the cable box applies copy protection, which the X9 does not allow, from what I gather from other threads. Copy protection applies to both audio and video. If I understand you right you have video but no audio. In that case copy protection is not your problem. I recall other threads about similar matters. It's likely to be a configuration issue.

6. papiguy

papiguy Member

I met the same issue with audio when recording. As Scott wrote, HDCP is not the reason for the lack of audio.
    My satellite box providing manual setting of the audio output, I tested the following:
    1 - no DTS no DTS+ : playing and recording TV channels are OK.
    I am afraid no solution can be found, as this could be related to the hardware. Confirmation by Development Team should be appreciated.

7. papiguy

papiguy Member

Sorry, a line has been wthdrawn, please read:
    1 - no DTS no DTS+ : playing and recording TV channels are OK.
    2 - Audio output (ie X9 input) set to DTS or DTS+ : playing is OK, record is without audio.