Anyone Know the Max External Hard drive size?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Looking for the max USB external hard drive size that can be used with the Z9X. Ha4d drive has its own power supply. If that matters.

2. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Not sure that we have a limit using a USB port with an external HDD using is own power supply. I think the limit of 16TB comes with the SATA port in internal, but I could be wrong.

Nice Monkey could probably answer to this one. :)

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The limit signaled by me applies to SATA attached HDD's indeed. For USB it all depends on the USB/ATA bridge. So old(er) enclosures may have a limit but new units sold as complete units should just work.

Still no confimation on this by Zidoo (but Dune reports it explicitly with their latest FW).

4. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  5. Nice Monkey

Indeed it is SATA problem only addressing sectors on the HDD directly. USB or NAS access doesn't do that.

Yes Zidoo needs to make a statement here! Informed personally both Zidoo and Dune about it in detail.

Temearoo likes this.
  6. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Thanks a lot guys, I'm thinking on getting a 18 TB external hard drive and just didn't want to get it, then find out It doesn't work.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

just get some cheap PC parts and build an Unraid server with Jellyfin server and use SMB to play it on Z9X, no need to worry about size of hard drives, use as many you can fit inside the chassi.

8. Nice Monkey

Getting an USB Docking station is easier and cheaper I feel. Available in any size (1, 2, 4, 5, 8 and 10 slot). Also individual drive and raid versions can be found.

Use a 5-slot Icy Box version myself at the moment but also have a big 10-slot unit. Both work nicely with dynamic Eject/Unmount per slot. My units also have individual power buttons per slot. The unit is combined with an USB switch (don't confuse with a hub) to host connect automatically to multiple media players following the USB power source.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  9. Telemachos

Telemachos New Member

I use an 18TB external usb drive.
    I got file system errors when plugging into my pc.
    Had to create two partions to solve that.
    I think 16tb is maximum for older android os.

10. Edworld

Edworld Member

I have 2 mediasonics: 8 bay and 4 bay. Pre zidoo, I had both of them hooked up to a windows 10 computer and used HaneWIN to distribute around the house. Zidoo doesn't really like my NFS setup, so the question I have for you is how you are using your ICY Boxes to feed all your media devices.

Thanks

11. Nice Monkey

If these are just docking stations and not RAID units these work straight via USB3 as individual drives. I am running SMB Server on the Zidoo for access from my PC (the reversed setup).

But also Raid USB unit have been reported to work just fine and in that case without the infamous Android 32-bit OS 16 TByte limit per HDD.

12. Edworld

Edworld Member

Thanks, my mediasonics do not offer any type of Raid, just JBOD. Once mediasonics are connected to the zidoo, will I get all the drive letters in windows? As I get new movies, I create a mkv file and would have to drop it in the storage attached to the zidoo.

Thanks

13. Nice Monkey

Driveletters is Windows. With Zidoo you will get a Volume Label for each drive mounted.

Edworld likes this.