Anyone Help Please- Broke Posterwall

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by JohnnyH, Jul 24, 2023.

1. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

Hi Guys

I had multiple source harddives on a 192.168.1.x network

I have now created a media Vlan on 192.168.4.x network and moved my film nas hard drives over to 192.168.4.x
    I have also moved the zidoo UHD 3000 over to the 192.168.4.x network all with static IP address

Why Oh Why have I lost my posterwall ??? years of work!!

I notice that the sources folder refers to ip addresses 192.1681.x ???

Can this be edited anyway, I have no idea why Zidoo does not have edit option to allow for change of network IP Address, this is so weak to destroy and lose poster walls

Would appreciate any help please

is there anyway to get over simple change of IP address, with what would seem disastrous consequences

Really really disappointed in in what should be a very simple thing to do and achieve

I have not deleted the old sources ! or tried to sync the database, everything is exactly they way it was as per the old network addresses 192.168.1.x, but Im now on a new IP range 192.168.4.x

is there anyway I can edit or change the Database to reference the new IP range 192.168.4.x

I don't want to sync to a new NAS simply want everything on my media network on a new subnet

appreciate any help, Thank you

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Because the IP address has changed. And in your case, the entire subnet is completely different!

If you move house and someone sends a letter to your old address you ain't going to receive it at your new one unless you set up a redirect. to expand the metaphor, in your case you not only changed address, but you changed country as well!!

Anyway, should be easily fixed.

DO NOT DELETE YOUR OLD SOURCES YET!!

Add your new sources with the new IP addresses but don't scan them.

Highlight each new source in turn, press Menu, and select "Synchronise data from other source"

Now select the old source that relates to the new source and all should be well...

(disclaimer - I've never tried this across different subnets...)

3. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

Thank you very much for your reply appreciated

Yes this is working apart from losing all my custom tags ??

I created many custom tags and Disney / Horror / etc and there is now nothing in these when I select them ??

is there any way round this please

oh I have deleted the original source folders !! but did take a backup first

would I have needed to keep the original source folders from the 192.168.1.x network even though they don't work ? for the custom tagging to stay working

Thank you

4. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

NO Sadly this does not work !!

The Re sink no good on windows share

It worked ok on my NAS Drives, but NOT on my windows server drives

After spending a great deal of time resinking the Windows Server source shares

when you power off the Zidoo and power on again and its lost all the poster walls for the windows server shared drives ??

and then after about 5 minuets I have my poster wall again of all the windows server shares, why oh why do they not come up immediately, on powering up the Zidoo

why is the zidoo uhd3000 causing so many issues with resinking a smb share on the server,

I really am trying hard to like this media player but its so buggy and really should never be this hard to change IP address of ones media

is there anything I can do to get over this bug or do I have to re do every poster wall on 1000s of films

I am even considering scrapping this media player I have wasted so much time and its so limited and to easy to damage the poster wall on a simple IP change

I appreciate any help if anything can be done to get over this 5 min wait on powering up the zidoo before the shares show on the machine

regards

5. Markswift2003

Literally no idea what you've done.

And you didn't just change IP address. You changed the entire subnet as well!! What did you expect would happen??

You talk about using NAS drives, now you're talking about Windows shares. As I say, really not a clue what you've done here.

6. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

you come across rude in your last reply!! Please don’t, If the zidoo was designed right this would be a simple attribute change of ip address for the database!!!

I was simply securing my various vlans and network, by segregating all the devices on a single subnet and segregating them over 4 structured network/ vlans

I have a very advanced Cisco router with 8 physical interfaces

instead of having one network, I now have 4 vlans

vlan1 home network
    Vlan2 Wi-Fi
    Vlan3 Cctv
    Vlan4 tv&media

everything previously was on one subnet and not ultra safe with Wi-Fi access points and the various network items all on a single network

so by segregating my network it has simplified and tightened up the security on each subnet, as I have created Cisco firewall access rules to keep each vlan interface blocked from each other.

so my tv and media network consists of tvs , Zidoo, skyq box
    2 nas drives , one windows server with 18tb exos wd drive that holds most of my movies rips, the other two nas drives also hold movies

Everything previously was on 192.168.1.x

I have now moved everything media based to vlan4 it’s own network for only media network, items multiple TVs, Zidoo, film nas drives, my main films widows server, sky q box etc 192.168.4.x

this now means Wi-Fi vlan 2, and my home computer network vlan1 and Cctv can not access or upset my media network vlan or films server / nas

this is a much more security safe way of segregating network and keeping things safe and structured

now the way you replied about changing ip addresses and subnets was like the end of the world!! Again it should not break the zidoo media database, it’s poor poor design to do this and lose all my poster wall and custom tags settings just because it can not find a network source folder !!

where is the zidoo window that should pop up to say relocate source folder ???

the data location structure has not changed on either the nas and server, simply the ip address and subnet.

if the Zidoo machine and software was designed right, there would be a simple display window saying can not locate source folder, please select new location! Instead of delete source and all the poster wall, as that’s the only option I was offered if it can’t find the ip address of source folder….. crazy!

Anyone should be able to change ip address on the media location of a home network without a catastrophic outcome after months of work!!!

I’m a network engineer working with high end Cisco kit daily

It’s clear zidoo is very very weak with being able to break the poster wall,

Even with doing what you said
    1) add new source
    2) don’t scan
    3) sync to old folder

Worked for the films media on the 2 nas drives fine on the new 192.168.4.x network

when the zidoo is switched off and back on again the films are showing in the poster wall

sadly this is not the case when doing the same thing with the windows server!! After re sync everything looks great but you turn off the zidoo and then turn on with no films showing until about 5 mins .., crazy

it’s very clear there are zidoo issues with windows smbs after a re sync ??? But not so with smb shares on the nas drives

Lost lost lost why the zidoo re sync on the smb shares on the windows server causes a 5 min lag after turning off the zidoo crazy …

Again changing an ip address and securing multiple networks is not a crime and if the zidoo uhd3000 was designed right for source location of media, it would not cause all these issues !!! And Lose all my custom tagging, smb 5min wait on new sync etc etc

regards

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  7. Markswift2003

Yes I understand subnets and why you use them.

But I'm a little lost as to why you think the Zidoo is at fault when you changed IP address and indeed moved everything onto a new subnet but didn't tell the box where the content now lives.

These boxes are not perfect, far from it, but I get very frustrated when people blame the hardware for their inability to understand how it works.

If that also comes across as rude, I apologise. It's honestly not meant to and neither was the previous post.

8. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

Hello Again

I appreciate your help, and feedback I have managed to secure and re-structure my whole network and rewrite Cisco Firewall access lists, setup NAT, for my whole network,
    VLAN1, VLAN2, VLAN3 & VLAN4

Everything is much more structured and very safe from a security point of view

I have virtually changed over a 100 IP Addresses and subnets for the many 4K CTTV cameras, NVRs, Media Network, Dune Meda Player, NAS Drives, Servers etc etc. Everything has gone faultlessly apart from the ZIDOO UHD 3000 !!

The ZIDOO UHD 3000 !! is a very expensive premium machine and I'm sorry but expect better due to the price point of this machine! it's far from a cheap media player

I hate being disappointed and knocking Items I purchase as I always do a great deal of research and R&D before I purchase most items, I pay for premium products to avoid this kind of grief!

The Dune media player I own does not have this issue when relocating the source folders and I did not expect the Zidoo to have this issue either, I think we can agree this is a major weakness with this player. The time it takes to get the poster wall right with categories, poster art and matching is off the scale for large media collection, it bad enough ripping in the blu rays, but to loose so much on a simple network change of location is not on....

I'm not sure what the issue is with the windows smb server on the new IP Address and the ZIDOO taking 5 minuets to show the new films on 192.168.4.x network.

I can only assume that when re-syncing the old 192.168.1.x source folders to the new 192.168.4.x, source folder there is some old network info in the new source folder that causes the ZIDO to wait 5 mins when powered down and back on again ??

Whats really strange is the Network NAS drives do not suffer this issue, once live on the network, it only seems to be a windows server smb issue with the UHD3000???

I will try to get to the bottom of this, possibly wireshark network scanning may shine some light?

But as you can imagine I'm not happy and expected much more from this premium player

But I'm a little lost as to why you think the Zidoo is at fault when you changed IP address and indeed moved everything onto a new subnet but didn't tell the box where the content now lives.

Why should you have to tell the box that the media has moved to a new location, it would only require a simple update of IP and address in the database if the firmware was designed correctly ? This way everything would have stayed the way it was, including the categories etc. No other network device I have every seen works in this cack-handed way ??

When the old source folders can not find the shares, there should be a simple option to search for the new IP locations, thus job done, its really that simple

All Zidoo offer is an option to delete that old folder.... appalling

Regards

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  9. Markswift2003

There is.

It's here:

upload_2023-7-26_13-55-31.png

I told you about it in my first reply.

10. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

Yes I did what you said, thank you

but still does not work on the windows server,

Its would be much nicer is zidoo did not force you create a new folder, then not scan it, then have to sync to an old folder, only to find out it does not work with the windows server shares

would be much much nicer if zidoo simply said can not fine network share, relocate share or delete folder.

a very simple approach without having to create new folders, not scanning the new folder and then resync old folder etc

Even doing the above loses all the categories!!

Everything seem such hard work only to find then end result does not work on my main windows media server

so sadly this approach does not work and my issues still not resolved?

As I said I’m really really trying to like this zidoo, but struggling, it really shouldn’t be this difficult and easy to lose months of work

but thank you for the tip

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  11. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

This is not what I was requesting and what zidoo should have offered

You shouldn’t have to create new folders and then sync to old, it’s inconvenient and even then does not work after doing all of the above

it’s such a convoluted approach???

why not simply keep the existing folder that can not find the share and relocate to new share location or even manually enter the new ip of share

a much more simplistic approach, it just staggers me the mindset behind this firmware