Any reason why HDR 2160p 23p will only output 4.4.4 when 4:2:2 is selected?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Oldpainless, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

As per the title, any reason that HDR 2160p will output 4.4.4 even when 4.2.2 is explictly set in the video out settlings?

@Markswift2003 - another bug left to iron out perhaps? As far as I can see, 4.2.2 2160p HDR is a legal output in the HDMI specs.

Would be good to get the basics at a hardware function level in the DR models sorted before they are left on life support (just like that resolution output modes I've flagged).

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I gave up trying to get the colour modes to make sense years ago.

Just set as per the recommended settings and you'll be all good.

Oldpainless likes this.
  3. Oldpainless

Ah ok. That' a shame, as LG OLED's tend to have issues with 4.4.4 if the panel is not in PC mode (banding/posterization/elevated noise in dark areas).

Would be good to be able to get 2160p 23p @ 4.2.2 to avoid these issues.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  4. Markswift2003

Wow - not heard that before. You'd possibly think that something like that could happen with 4:2:2 but not 4:4:4.

5. Oldpainless

Yeah, but so far on my personal tests - if you set output to 1080p 23p 4.2.2, all issues go away. Play the same test files with it set to 4.4.4, and the issues are pretty clear to see (it's far more evident with files less than UHD resolution (480p/720p/1080p etc)) .

LG OLED can only display 4.4.4 properly in PC mode. Sending 4.4.4 outside of PC mode seems to force the display into some form of black magic to convert it, like a drunken witch with the wrong spell book :).

So, allowing the Zidoo to send 4.2.0 or 4.2.2 seems to fix the issues I am seeing.

Should be easy enough for others to replicate the issues by following the settings above.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  6. Markswift2003

Just tested a Z9X Pro and typically that does 12-bit 4:2:2 in all HDR modes.

Oldpainless likes this.
  7. Oldpainless

So, the new SOC does that? So why the new SOC? Did you also test on the a DR model?

Thanks, always, for your diligence.

8. Markswift2003

It does.

Your other option is of course to select LLDV in HDR settings so everything gets converted to LLDV and that's natively 12-bit 4:2:2 and looks great.

9. Oldpainless

Ok, thanks Mark - always apprciate your support in this forum - you do good work.

I don't want to go down the LLVD route, so we'll see if I move to Zidoo new hardware (next gen?).

For me personally, if a manufacturer can't get the basics right, I do scratch my head a little tbh.