any news on Prime & Netflix audio ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by raptor1015, Dec 27, 2020.

1. raptor1015

raptor1015 New Member

I have the new Z9x with the 0.66 G firmware. I have amazon prime & use the preloaded Netflix. log in & playing movies is fine.
    the issue is both netflix & Prime broadcast audio in stereo or surround not Dolby Digital like I get through my smart tv app & the comcast xfinity box app.

I installed the same two apks on my Himedia Q10 Pro & same result (no Dolby Digital 5.1 or above on Amazon Prime & Netflix.

Amazon Prime Video_v3.0.287.13947.apk
    Netflix_v7.84.1 build 28 35243.apk

so if anyone is running a Zidoo Z9x with amazon prime video & netflix & is getting 5.1 audio
    I'd appreciate if you could share set up. thx

I'm think this might be due to a dolby digital licensing issue in which Zidoo won't pay for like everyone else.

these are supposed to be fairly new versions of these apps.

UPDATE (Tues, Dec 29th) I bought a brand new 4k firestick yesterday just
    to make sure no Denon AVR issues. as expected Prime & netflix broadcast the audio not only in DD 5.1 but in DD Plus and Atmos on B title movies, Impressive!

so my Samsung smart Tv & xfininty X1 box and now brand new 4k Firestick all support Dolby Digital 5.1 & above through Prime & Netflix.

the Himedia Q10 Pro & the Zidoo Z9x do not support that with the latest firmware. this has got to be a licensing problem. I would try an Nvidia Pro but they are too ridiculously priced.

I also notice that most movies played through Kodi is in stereo as well (yes I have the audio setting set to 5.1 in Kodi ).

I don't get it, do most of you watch movies on your phones & tablets ? that's very sad if that's the case.

why else would you not want the complete 5.1 surround ? sacrificing sound quality for size of file is a waste of time to me. I'm referring to avi, mkv, mp4 etc...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  2. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Netflix has been upgraded to 5.1, please update your firmware.
    Prime probably won't get 5.1, it struggles to provide it on devices it officially supports (shield).

3. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Maybe You can buy tivo for streaming services.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Netflix streams in Dolby Digital+ so this now includes Atmos too.

HDR seems to work correctly now also, so the only thing left is auto-framerate and resolution - but similar to the likes of the Shield, framerate is down to Netflix rather than Zidoo.

The Netflix experience on the Zidoos is now pretty much the same as the Shield, albeit in 1080p.

5. DaMacFunkin

I use refresh rate app on shield, works ok on Netflix, other apps seem to get glitchy after a bit (maybe that is just the shield, starts to get glitchy after a bit if use and needs a reboot).
    I sure wish I could build a consumer/semi pro friendly media box and streamer from the ground up, I’d make a fortune, there isn’t one device on the market that isn’t a bit flaky,

godalmighty and Topdude like this.
  6. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

refresh rate apk wont installed on zidoo, do you know other apk that work?

7. DaMacFunkin

Your TV is likely to be performing pulldown, so your still not actually getting the correct fps from Netflix or Prime.

8. DaMacFunkin

Nope, just have to change the fps as needed.

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Having lost the battle with ARC on my new TV re its native apps over the past few months (it screws my system up), I have been watching Netflix and Amazon Prime via Sky Q. It is really very good but wondering if my Amazon Fire TV 4k Stick or Roku device would be better? - I shall experiment soon.

10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The Fire TV Stick is an awesome bit of kit for streaming now, but it's still "Amazoned" so I think the Shield is by far the best option for a standalone device - but if it works well on Sky Q, why change - I assume that does 4K and Atmos?

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks again Mark. Sky does it all, yes. Some folks are saying they lose HDR from time to time but I watched Jingle Jangle the other day through Sky Q's Netflix app and it was really superb! I didn't get Atmos but the DD+ 5.1 was great.

Maybe someone can tell me if I should have got Atmos before I ask on the Sky Q forum - cheers

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  12. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

how can you change fps from other apk like netflix?