Additional Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Colin Weldon, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Colin Weldon

Colin Weldon New Member

So, I am now considering purchasing yet another Z9X in the very near future, so would I be right in assuming that as I have backed up my database to a USB memory stick, that I would be able to restore that on another Z9X without going through all the scan process yet again.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

As long as both boxes have the same firmware version and are on the same network with the same shares available, then yes, a backup from one box will work on another.

Make sure the target box has a clean HT4 install - ie no previous database. If there is one, you can clear it in settings but not a problem for a brand new box.

However, there is some odd behaviour if you use local images so if that's the case, I recommend the following method (this is what I use):

Choose one of your boxes to be the "Master" box.

Get the library all sorted exactly as you want it on the master box and then export NFO and local artwork.

Set any slave boxes to scan with local NFO preference and local artwork, add the same sources and scan. This will result in an identical library on any other boxes.

Ongoing, when you add movies etc, export NFO and art again from the master and then rescan the slaves.

3. Colin Weldon

Colin Weldon New Member

Thanks very much for the info, I will hopefully be getting my 2nd one very soon as my existing Mede8er in the lounge is no longer scraping and without any support which means the end of both Mede8er's now.

4. Markswift2003

Must admit I still use a Mede8er for the occasional TV series - scraping with TVRename.

5. Colin Weldon

Colin Weldon New Member

I have used two Mede8er MED600X3D's for many years without problem, quite some time back they stopped scraping then, but a very clever user managed to re-write the firmware with gave them a new lease of life, but I think it is now time to call it a day on them. I have looked at other scrapers, but it looked too complicated for me. I have never heard of TVRename, but I suppose that as the name suggests it is only for TV series, which I do not have many and are not too bothered about them. Movies are my preference especially the new 4K ones which I have now been buying when the price was right, hence my move to the Zidoo.

6. Markswift2003

Yeah, it's a long time since I used a Mede8er for movies - I first moved to Dune but that became like banging your head on a wall when Sigma left the market, then moved to Zidoo and been here ever since!

7. Colin Weldon

Colin Weldon New Member

It's a bit of luck then I bought the Z9X then because my first choice was a Dune HD 4K Real vision but in a review, I saw it stated the menu system was simpler on the Zidoo and that has caused me enough problems with the lack of instructions, but thanks to you and others on here, have helped me through it.