A8 XLR polarity is wrong.. RCA sounds better

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by dtximages, Mar 31, 2024.

1. dtximages

dtximages New Member

Very strange thing.. I plugged in my new A8 with XLR and immediately noticed something was wrong, the polarity sounded out of phase. So I simply changed the red/black bananas on the back of one speaker and fixed!.. Hmm.

Then, I tried XLR outs on my A6 Master and SAME THING! XLR sounded phased out.. again, swamped the +/- speaker cable on one speaker and it's better.

So then, I switched back over to RCA and the problem does not exist.

So, With all my testing, it seems there's some kind of polarity mixup in the XLR internals on both devices. I suppose this COULD BE my Parasound a23+ amp but I feel that's highly unlikely.

Once I got it right on XLR I still felt like the RCA sounded better.

**Important note: I tried on two sets of speakers - Klipsch Heresy IV and Klipsch Chorus II and the problem persists on both. Speakers and placement are not the problem as it's not an issue using RCA outs.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  2. Tidad

Tidad New Member

So you did not notice this XLR issue w the A6 ME before now? I'm presuming that's because you didn't run it w XLR cables? In reading this it sounds like the only things both "phased out" faulty setups have in common are the Parasound and the XLR cables. I might try a different set of cables before deciding both preamps are faulty and the amp isn't.

3. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

A8 XLR polarity can be set under ‘Settings’ / ‘Audio’ / ‘XLR/RCA Output’ / ‘XLR Port Polarity’.

IMG_0403.png

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

That affects of course both outputs. I seem to understand that the OP has the problem on ONE CHANNEL only...

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Would be strange if this is the. As the plugs run via wire it can be re-soldered correctly in an easy change.

6. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

Yes, agreed. That "switch" is the software controlled equivalent to an "Absolute Phase" switch on other DACs. It reverses the polarity of the XLR hot and cold leads giving a 180 deg. phase shift.
    I would suggest that @dtximages check the cables are both wired the same. Wouldn't be the first time an audio cable left the factory incorrectly wired.

IMG_0403.png

Nutul likes this.