A6 Future lifespan

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Inti, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Inti

Inti Active Member

Hi I wonder about the lifespan of the A6 if not updated with firmware in the future will it still work or will it turn to a brick in a few years reading some info here on the forum about this can someone please share the truth and not some stupid gost story

2. SausageDog

SausageDog Member

Mine is not a straight nor reliable reply to your question by any means, just some reasoning over what we were used to intend as a traditional HiFi component lifespan transitioning to what is more like a "computer" based component lifespan, which a modern HiFi streamer should be actually considered. Aspects to consider for a component lifespan are basically 3: hardware failure, hardware capability and firmware/software support. The last aspect is also connected to the second. Likewise a traditional HiFi component, the first aspect can be potentially limitless, depending on how well a component is designed and built. In case of the DMP-A6 only time will tell. The second aspect, which involves the operating system which the hardware is designed to work with, may result in a limiting factor even if the manufacturer is willing to maintain the firmware/software, but usually is the other way around, typically for commercial reasons. In the case of the DMP-A6 my understanding is that the product is not particularly over-engineered, up-to-date and therefore particularly future-proof, at least for the non-HiFi backbone part. In fact the third aspect is the one that usually stops the device to be actual and fully functional. Here only Eversolo itself could voice out a committment for, which it seems to me never happened so far

Just some examples of what above from my own direct experience: I sold a 25 years old traditional HiFi CD player in perfect running condition, basically "as new" and fully functional as the day I bought it, I own a 25 years old Windows desktop PC in perfect hardware condition which is basically useless, even for the most basic working tasks (e.g.: browsing Internet), which I keep only for nostalgic reason as a retro gaming gear, I still own a 18 years old Windows laptop, which I had been able to upgraded with just a modern SSD, which is incredibly still able to run every office based task with basically no limitations, a 10 years old Android smartphone in perfect hardware conditions but with multiple serious limitations in Apps support and usage, which nevertheless can be used as a phone and another 6 years old Android phone which I could have still in use from a software perspective but died because of a end-of-life battery which isn't worth to repair. Finally, and most significantly, for a period of time I had on loan one of the first iterations of HiFi streamer/DAC (proprietary firmware, no real O.S.) from a renowned HiFi brand (Musical Fidelity) which sounded great but which manufacturer support ended just after 3 or 4 years. This result in having the device functioning only as a DAC component. Another popular HiFi brand like Auralic, which is recognized no give outstanding support for all their products, even the older ones, is limiting the upgrades options for the oldest models due to hardware limitations. Putting all together, even considering the best scenario of the now more mature Android environment and giving the credit to Eversolo to support their products at best, my expectation in terms of lifespan for the DMP-A6 is between 5 and 10 years, which, considered its reasonable general AV components-like price tag, is not that different from what you can expect from a modern smart TV.

Nutul likes this.
  3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Lifespan of Streaming services is mostly related to the support of those providers policies. That is a very dynamic world.
    MQA was launched 3 or 4 years ago and it is already (almost) dead.

A DMP-A6 will still play your local music albums in any format after maybe 20 or 30 years but if any of the current streaming providers will be still there in 20 years is a big question. Olders formats will probably not be supported anymore in a relative short period. On this forum some are shouting for Apple Airplay support but it must be Airplay2 not the old one from (2 years ago). Just look at satellite receivers you need a new generation at least every 5 to 10 years as the old channels changed format. Streaming IP based services will age out even a lot faster.

atomic garden likes this.
  4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yes, but you get the receiver from your TV-broadcast provider, you don't buy it yourself... While it's true you get the APP from, say, Tidal, whether you can run it on older hardware / OS is another story...

5. Nice Monkey

You get a cheap (I call them mickey mouse) receiver from the provider. The really good receivers like VU+ and Dreambox must be bought and aren't exactly for free.

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Ouch, didn't know this side of the medal... then we're all doomed. :-D

7. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I know I’m a bit worried about it being an Android box, but not really, no I don’t know, I’m not an Android user so what do I know but then again who knows?

Sorry, I know that’s quite a few too many “knows” than my English teacher would care to know.

8. Nice Monkey

The downside of streaming services is that control is now in the hands of profit organizations thinking in short term actions and changes. :eek:

Buying a piece of electronics and using it up to to 20 or even 40 years is gone.
    Still using my Philips (=Marantz) FA890 Stereo AMP without ever changing any component. Only 40 years old. Also have a Dual Turntable of that same age.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    Nutul likes this.
  9. Inti

Inti Active Member

Thank you for your in depth information I understand that one can only hope that the support and firmware will continue as long as possible

Nutul likes this.
  10. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

Hi, the question is interesting, I have in addition to the DMP, a Rose RS 250 streamer, it is a recent company on the Rose market in this streamer/Dac niche, the same question can be asked. For now, there is a follow-up (update), they release new equipment, in the medium term, much like Zidoo. As previously indicated, those who have stored music libraries will be able to use them for a long time. Streaming is a sector that can evolve, on this point, we do not know who will be the players in 5 years, for example, given the profitability of the platforms and the sector to be developed. The fact that the Eversolo streamer is Roon Ready allows as long as Roon will be effective to have a device that works well in streaming even if the update of the DMP control application would be minor. Of course, there are ifs....

Nutul likes this.