60hz looks like 24

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by sunny33, Jul 6, 2020.

1. sunny33

sunny33 New Member

Hello, i just got the z9s and i have a problem. im using lg oled c9.

I like to watch 4k 24 fps movies on 60hz because it looks crisp and sharp and motion is easier to watch. It was fine when i connect external hdd directly to the tv and uaing the built in LG player. alao great with PC connected to tv. and also great with PLEX.

But Now, when i watch with my new z9s, 60hz output looks very much like 24. the frame rate mode is off and the info says the movie is being played at 60hz but still it looks very similar to 24 output. not exactly the same but close.

the trumotion setting on the tv is off also.

It feels like the player doesnt really output 60hz, or doing some kind of motion interpolation.

im using 2.1 hdmi cable if that matters.

please help.... thx

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  2. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Actually I trust what my TV info displays.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The Zidoo does not use any frame interpolation or motion smoothing, that's not its job, so what you're seeing is correct - if you like that look, you're better setting the source to output natively and do any FI processing in the display.

4. sunny33

sunny33 New Member

i checked on the tv and it is 60hz indeed.

that means that the zidoo is juat bad/the motion performence ia terrible.

its going back to china i guess :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  5. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

generally speaking, motion interpolation on the TV is better these android media players. and in any case, 24hz to 60 is not a good choice, just use trumotion on the TV instead.

I myself have a sony TV and in fact, the internal video app's PQ is slightly better than z9s but it cant handle big mkvs too well and I cant get hd audio from the tv to my amp so the z9s stays.

6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@sunny33, look around the forum. Nobody is complaining about bad motion performance on Zidoo players.

It's the settings in your TV that control the motion.

I have OLED LG E6 - the last best ever build 3D TV :) It took me months to figure out the settings on this TV and what they do. Of course these days there are no technical manuals with consumer electronics, just pamphlets ;) I was coming from old LCD panel with low contrast and high blur ;) I couldn't take this strobing, stuttering 24 fps cinematic motion from OLED panel in LG TV. After months of research on my own using slow motion video camera, test patterns and hundreds of pages of forum discussions I think I got it under control.

At the end I settled on 24fps movies using LG frame interpolation with De-Judder set to 3 to 4 on the scale of 10 based on the content and 3D movies using motion "Clear". Old Disney animated movies and Japanese hand drawn movies look best at 60Hz 3:2 pulldown, no frame interpolation. Hand drawn character in animated movies are 12 fps against 24 fps scrolling backgrounds. LG motion processor 2016 version gets all confused and generates distortions and artifacts trying to smooth out 2 types of motion at different frame rates at the same time.

Anyway, this is not the forum or thread to get deep into LG motion. The TV will keep separate set of settings per HDMI input port and per source type. There will be different controls for 24fps source, another for 60fps HD and separate set for UHD. Some function on the TV will get greyed out based on other controls and video type source. TV is capable of performing reverse telecine and extracting 24 fps from 60Hz signal. Shutting Trumotion off and setting De-Blur and De-Judder to 0 are 2 different things.

As everybody is suggesting the most proper way would be to set the auto resolution and refresh rate in Zidoo. Send original signal at 24 fps into the TV. Use TV controls to process it to your liking. If you just want 60 fps 3:2 pulldown and no motion processing at all you need to shut Thrumtion off and Real Cinema off. Don't do it in Zidoo. Use auto refreshrate and auto resolution in Zidoo quick settings. TV will display 24 fps signal over native 120 Hz OLED panel using 6:4 pulldown. Compare all TV settings between 2 different sources Zidoo and PC or internal TV player to see what's causing the 24 fps look from Zidoo. Don't forget that 24 fps displayed at 60Hz is still 24 fps except that frames are not presented on screen at even intervals.

Good luck :)

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I didn't think it was worth the bother :rolleyes:

8. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

It didn't bother me on LCD Epson projector at all. I've selected first stage motion processing something called sharpening and this was it for all 2D movies :)
    Now OLED screen is a different beast all together. There are some anomalies and side effects from LED's lighting up on contrasted edges overshooting set brightness. This creates this popping strobing effect on slow 24 fps motion. It's the tipping edge between smooth motion and artifacts and distortions from motion processor.