2.35:1 gui without blanking video

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mattmarsden, May 17, 2022.

1. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Is it possible to add a 2.35:1 mode that will put the seek bar etc in the 2.35:1 frame but not blank the picture? This would be useful as most of the time I watch my 2.35:1 projector but sometime want to watch a film on the TV. Also the black bars generated to do the covering of the picture are not completely black and so stop my projector from laser dimming.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Are you using "Compression(GUI)" mode?

As far as I can tell the black bars are at video black. Does the projector have software masking?

3. mattmarsden

The black bars definitely aren't at video black when using LLDV output, not sure about any other modes. I've tried software masking on the projector but it doesn't make any difference to the laser dimming.

4. mattmarsden

I'm using cover mode. From what I remember the Compression(GUI) mode doesn't put the seek bar etc within the 2.35:1 frame - only affects the GUI when video isn't playing.

5. Markswift2003

So video black aside for the moment, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking for.

Compression mode compresses the GUI to 2.35 and masks all content to 2.35 with the playbar within the 2.35 frame

Compression(GUI) mode compresses the GUI and leaves content as is, including the playbar, so that remains in the 1.78 frame

Screen Cover adds masks to the GUI and all content and puts the playbar is in the 2.35 frame

So do you want the playbar within the 2.35 frame for Compression(GUI) mode even when 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 content is played?

6. Markswift2003

I'm pretty sure the black bars are at 64 for me - I can't test properly at the moment on my test kit - too much ambient light, but I'll test later with a pluge.

7. mattmarsden

Yes compression mode with playbar within 2.35:1 frame but no covering the top and bottom of the video or even just a mode without gui compression but playbar etc within the 2.35:1 frame. I would be happy enough though with the cover up mode if the black bars were totally black. I’ll take some photos later to show you. Are you outputting LLDV?

8. Markswift2003

Yes, I have mine setup to output LLDV permanently.

I'll ask about the playbar - one possibility is to assign arrow keys to move the playbar...

9. Markswift2003

You're absolutely right about the black bars - I couldn't see with the ambient light earlier, but checking with a Dolby Vision and an HDR10 Pluge shows the level at about 80 which is 2%.

10. Markswift2003

So for "Compression" and "Screen Cover", in SDR and HDR10 the black bars are black - in fact they are just below black, but that doesn't matter.

In LLDV they are at around 2% grey.

11. mattmarsden

Yeah its quite irritating, I’m hoping they can either make the bars black or give us a mode that brings everything within the 2.35:1 frame but no blanking.

12. Markswift2003

I've reported the black bars - this is a similar issue that we had early on where system generated black bars in cropped video were above black in LLDV - this was fixed, so I hope this can be fixed as easily.

Also requested that the playbar can be moved into the 2.35 frame for Compression(GUI) with the possibility of adjustable placement...

13. mattmarsden

Much thanks as always Mark

Markswift2003 likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

Next firmware, the playbar has been moved into the 2.35 frame for "Compression(GUI)" :)

dr4go likes this.
  15. mattmarsden

Awesome thanks Mark - and the Dolby Vision logo that appears on starting a film?

16. Markswift2003

Yep - in the 2.35 frame - it works the same as "Screen Cover" or "Compression".

17. mattmarsden

That was quick!! Works perfectly now with latest firmware.

Markswift2003 likes this.