1080p stuttering with RAW or Auto

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by RTAV, Jun 22, 2023.

1. RTAV

RTAV New Member

If I connect Z1000 pro directly or indirectly to a JVC RS2100 projector the bad video stuttering happens with 1080p content.

If I select LPCM 2 channel everything is fine.

If I select Raw or Auto the files stutters badly. With 4K HDR however there is no issue, only all 1080p movies.

I've tried every way possible if connecting it, different cables, different settings. All other sources, Nvidia shield, Kalidescape, ATV all function as expected.

I also have to put a 3ms delay in to match lipsync.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  2. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

We need a lot more info to try and help.

What video codec and audio codecs are being used for your problem 1080p files and what software have you been using to rip them?
    i.e. x264 or HEVC with PCM, FLAC, DTS-HD or TrueHD etc. Perhaps MediaInfo file details will assist.

Are all movies 24Hz and do they possibly show as 60Hz when first playing on the Zidoo?
    Are your files on an internal HDD or from NAS or external USB HDD?
    Do these files all play fine on a computer?

3. RTAV

RTAV New Member

All the movies have been ripped with various but standard methods, so the files are ok. This issue doesn't exhibit on an other player, only the Zidoo. All the movies are 24hz with DTSMA, there's nothing unusual about the file properties.

It's an internal drive, WD Red Pro 7200rpm.

4K HDR is all fine, but with 1080p as soon as you put it on anything other than LPCM it will video stutter. I tried a different Z1000 player and HDD with the same files and got the same result. The LG TV is not affected in this way - for example whether the file is being handled by LPCM, RAW or Auto it's fine.

The files play on everything just fine, PC, Nvidia Shield and I've seen it work perfectly with Avatar 1080p but on a different brand of projector, the main difference being that JVC's these days are HDMI 2.1 and the other was 2.0b.

I don't have another JVC right now to test it on, but I'm expecting one soon. I just can't work out how changing the sound delivery method even when directly connected to a projector could cause this. I've seen a lot of HDMI weirdness over the years, but never this.

:Edit - just a quick update.

There are a few movies that work that are 1080p and DTS - like Kick Ass, Ronin, High Fidelity and then ones that don't like Sunshine, Avatar, Gangs of New York.

The interesting thing about Sunshine is that it carries the DTSMA and DD track. If I have it on DTS that video stutters, if I switch it to DD5.1 its fine.

Also the player regardless of content needs a 3ms audio delay.

Here is the media info for below:

Gangs of New York - stutters
    Ronin - No Stuttering
    Sunshine - Stutters on DTS track does not on DD track.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  4. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Ok, that removes a lot of possibilities.

You don't seem to have mentioned your audio system, AVR or soundbar etc (obviously not TV audio since you use a projector!)?
    With different audio codecs, some soundbars and projectors have compatibility issues with DTS and TrueHD.

My own Z1000 Pro has had no issues with 1080p files to my Yamaha AVR with no audio delay required, so your problems could be related to your projector/HDMI/AVR.
    Someone else may be able to offer advice now.

5. RTAV

RTAV New Member

I mentioned it in my original post. Wether it's direct connect or not it makes no difference. It's not an AVR issue it has something to do with the DTS bitstreaming on certain movies, that are completely fine on other sources and not 1 but 2 different units and hard drives.

6. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

That confused me. How do you "direct connect" your Zidoo to a projector (to skip an AVR) and still get bitstream audio to play?

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can you PM me a sample file to test here?

8. RTAV

RTAV New Member

Because the player dictates the state of the output.

9. RTAV

RTAV New Member

I think I've got a clip folder somewhere, I should be able to rustle up something ok, thanks. I'm completely stumped with this one.

10. Markswift2003

Ok I tested your file and as I kind of expected, it plays fine here.

And although difficult to tell with that clip, lipsync is fine too and to be fair, lipsync is not something I've ever seen as an issue with 1619DR boxes, so there's something else going on.

I can't see anything unusual with the files and like you I've never come across anything like this before. DTS can be problematic because of the way sync works - Dolby codecs are a lot more forgiving in this respect, but I'm thinking of the early DVD days and you rarely see an issue these days.

I can only agree with you that there seems to be some compatibility issue with the JVC.

A question - what framerate does the JVC report when playing the file and it's stuttering?

And two things for you to try (with HDMI Audio set to Auto):

Settings/Display/Color Settings/Non-4k > Priority YUV444 8bit

And see if that makes a difference.

If not, additionally try:

Settings/Display/HDR > Auto
    Settings/Display/Resolution > 1080p 23Hz

11. RTAV

RTAV New Member

And likewise, if I put this into an oled TV it's fine, but the Nvidia shield is fine across the board with the same content.

I had SDR set to that already and I don't seem to have the second option under HDR in the display menu - most of the stuff in there is about the VS engine.

The JVC reports 24p from it's menu.

12. Markswift2003

The top option in the HDR menu is always Auto (regardless of what the EDID says)

What I was trying to do was set the Zidoo up so that when playing 1080p23 SDR content, HDMI doesn't have to sync - so the GUI is presented in the same format as the 1080p content (ie 1080p23 Rec.709). Just to see if it was the HDMI resync in the PJ that was the issue.

You've definitely found an odd one...

13. Markswift2003

Not sure what you mean by that.

14. RTAV

RTAV New Member

I meant 'non 4k' not SDR.

Sorry, I read your second suggestion as one line as I'm on my phone an no glasses - but it didn't help regardless.

Yes it's a weird but definitely a real one. I've a bunch of JVC approved sample cables coming next week and as mentioned should have another JVC unit here hopefully around the same time.

I've spent so much time on it, that I'm now invested in actually finding out what the movies have specifically in common and then why it would happen.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023