New firmware v2.0.5 version(beta) for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, Jan 24, 2018.

1. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Req model number of your tv to see spec as some were made 8bit though advertised as 10 bit .
    Or 10 bit capable but the the panels were not .

2. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

when i choose Auto, 4.2.0 still not on the list :(
    before that i used 1080p24Hz 10bit, after i changed it to 12bit and 4.2.0 then disappeared

almost all my movie is 1080p HEVC 10bit
    and now i set HDMI out to 1080p 24Hz, Color depth to 10bit, Color Space to Auto and Color Range Auto too
    i set auto switch for resolution and framerate, it seem the movie now going black screen first then play the movie, its more acceptable now
    thank to @Sarco for the inspiration :D

3. litlgi74

litlgi74 Member

In quick settings, choose one of below (others don't seem to work) resolution options, click home then go back to Display>Color Space Mode, and 4:2:0 should be available

4. godalmighty

i even tried to reboot it and still not appeared :(
    maybe the bug is not the same with other machine
    now they appear after i power it off with color depth OFF and color space Auto

5. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I'm so confused over this player.

So you're saying if you select 420 it still outputs 444?

6. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

[​IMG]

ursiel likes this.
  7. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I've been through all this over on the AVS thread 2 years ago when I bought the set. It's the UH8500. I called LG directly before I purchased the set and they told me it was 10bit. I then contacted them over chat to confirm and they also said 10bit. Rtings claim it is 10bit. Yet some owners over on the AVS thread gave compelling evidence based on the service menu that's in fact 8bit, and I was contacted via PM by somebody that said he has a source close to the development team that verified it was an 8bit panel that uses dithering to achieve 10bit color.

Anyways, none of this really matters much I guess. My TV is capable of receiving deep color, and in fact, when setting the Zidoo on 12bit, the image has the least banding. Even though my TV may be 8bit (I may never really know the answer to this), it is still capable of deep color.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  8. Sarco

Maybe when turning color depth OFF it switch to HDMI 1.4... Just a guess...

9. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Have you tried your box on another set to see if issues are the same ?
    To elliminate your Zidoo is at fault or its your tv set .

10. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I have no other UHD TV set to test it on.

But again - UHD/HDR content looks great as long as 12bit is selected on the Zidoo and ultra deep color is enabled on my TV. I have also previously stated that I can play the same UHD content that displays heavy banding on the Zidoo (when deep color is disabled on the player) directly with my TV's built-in native media player off a USB thumb drive, and it displays minimal banding - equal to what the Zidoo puts out when set to 12bit.

So again, my TV is perfectly capable of displaying images with minimal or no banding, even with content that is known for banding, like the test video we have been using.

I charted all of this in the thread here a few pages ago. Look at the top post of page 7 where I list exactly which configurations give me which results. I'm not saying everything has banding. Some configurations do and some don't. The issue is 10bit should look as good as 12bit since 12bit isn't offering any additional useful data when viewing 10bit material, yet for some reason 12bit does look better with the Zidoo. And not all color spaces work with some deep color settings. That may be due to HDMI 2.0 restrictions.

As far as the boot issue, I don't see how that can be an issue with my TV. Again, I can play 12bit fine with the Zidoo and my TV has no issue with it. It's the booting of the Zidoo in 12bit mode that causes issues. Once it's booted, it seems fine.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  11. Sarco

If you read my TV specs below you will notice HDMI 5 is 370Mhz (HDMI 1.4) and it does do 4K at settings not available in HDMI 2.0

12. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Interesting. All 3 of my ports are the same from what I've been told.

13. ysthbl

ysthbl Member

I could not upgrade, it stuck in this screen

what should I do :( ?

[​IMG]

14. Sarco

Maybe your file is corrupt, i suggest you to redownload the file.

15. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Frame Drops

I don't know how much easier I can make this, so I'm going to post this here, and Zidoo, and the members in here, can do what they want with it. I have spent hours running motion bars on the Zidoo, in order to track down under which configurations the 23.976 frame drops occur. This is the file I used, linked to from the Kodi wiki:

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut-fixtures/raw/master/FPS_test_1080p23.976_L4.1.mkv

It is a 1080p 23.976fps motion bars test pattern, used for watching for frame drops. These bars make it easy to spot frame drops, though it can make your eyes go a bit wonky after a while. The times I list are what is shown on the bottom-left corner of the test file (in seconds).

Here are the results:

2160P - 10bit - 23.976fps

HDMI Mode: 2160p 60Hz
    Deep Color Mode: 10bit
    Color Space Mode: YCbCr 444, YCbCr 420

Frame Drops:
    52 seconds
    161 seconds
    270 seconds
    379 seconds
    (109 seconds apart after 1st frame drop)

1080P - 10bit - 23.976fps - 2D/3D

HDMI Mode: 1080p 60Hz
    Color Space Mode: YCbCr 444

Frame Drops:
    81 seconds
    249 seconds
    417 seconds
    585 seconds
    (168 seconds apart after 1st frame drop)

2160P - 1080P - 10bit - 23.976fps - 2D/3D

HDMI Mode: 2160p/1080p 60Hz
    Color Space Mode: YCbCr 422, RGB 444

Frame Drops:
    83 seconds
    254 seconds
    425 seconds
    596 seconds
    (171 seconds apart after 1st frame drop)

2160P - 1080p - Deep Color OFF - 23.976fps - 2D/3D

HDMI Mode: 2160p/1080p 60Hz
    Deep Color Mode: OFF
    Color Space Mode: YCbCr 444, YCbCr 420, YCbCr 422, RGB 444

Frame Drops:
    83 seconds
    254 seconds
    425 seconds
    596 seconds
    (171 seconds apart after 1st frame drop)

These frame drop patterns are repeatable. Every time I run the patterns I see the exact same frame drops in each configuration. My TV's native media player plays the test file without any frame drops, as do my older media players (Mede8er, WDTV Live). I have not tested with other frame rates besides 23.976, but it is quite possible other frame rates also drop frames (24.000/25.000/29.970/59.940). I have not tested extensively with 12bit, but I can say that regular frame drops also happen in 12bit, though possibly spaced further apart.

Notice the frame drops happen not only when outputting 2160p, but also 1080p. Also notice the frame drops happen even when deep color is disabled.

Conclusion: With the current 2.0.5 firmware, the Zidoo x9s suffers from frame drops when playing 23.976 material, across all 1080p and 2160p configurations. The timing of the frame drops varies depending on the configuration of color space mode, deep color mode, and resolution.

Either Zidoo can look into this serious issue, or ignore it. I will not be keeping my player with the firmware in the current state that it is in. These issues need to be fixed. If this gets resolved, I may buy the x9s again at a later date. To the members of this forum, I have done my best to help bring attention to some of these flaws so that Zidoo can focus on them. It does not help when some members claim "I don't see it, so it must not be happening". If you don't see it, then move along. Not everyone is sensitive enough to see these issues. The x9s (and likely the x10 too, since they share similar firmware) have issues that need addressing. Brushing it under the rug, or trying to blame my TV, is not helping the situation.

One final note, I watched a 23.976 UHD/HDR movie last night on the x9s, and I did indeed notice the frame drops even with casual viewing. As I said previously, it's one frame drop every x amount of seconds. For some this will be very annoying, and for others they will never notice it. That doesn't mean it's not a problem.

EDIT: I have confirmed these stutters also happen to the exact second on the x10 also, on firmware v1.4.16. So it is not limited to the x9s, or the latest firmware version.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Sh1no8i likes this.
  16. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

A couple other quirks:

I get this pop up during boot, but not every time, only sometimes:

"Android is starting
    starting apps"

Also, why does it say this under "Color Space mode", regardless of which setting is selected?:

"Tip: This option is not recommended"

17. godalmighty

you can check in this web
    https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/a38c46c
    you have a better tv than mine, UH650T or UH6550
    have try what @Sarco said before, like i set now, set HDMi out to 1080p and auto switch for resolution and framerate
    just hope it solve for the booting issue
    maybe when set color depth to OFF make it flush all the cache setting before..just maybe
    since the firmware is still in beta version
    check your file like @Sarco said, maybe it corrupted
    mine have this hash key
    hash.JPG
    when you get inappropriate shutdown, it will have something like that at booting

yes the tips make me wonder too, why they have to warned us if they still gave us the options

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  18. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Makes me wonder why it's shutting down incorrectly sometimes if that's what's happening. I do the same thing every time. Hit the power button on the remote and hit shut down.

About the color space setting tips, it's weird because no matter what you have to select one of the options, and no matter which one you select, it says the same tip (not recommended).

By the way, do I need to "eject" the USB 3.0 thumb drive from the USB port before I remove it? I don't remove it unless the Zidoo is shut down completely, but I can't find a way to eject the thumb drive. With my Mede8er and WDTV linux-based boxes, you had to "eject" the USB drive each time to safely unplug it.

19. godalmighty

inappropriate like if you have to pluged off the power adapter or something like that, it happened with my others player too

its not perfect yet,maybe because it still in beta version
    but as i remembered when in v.1.5.0 the tips appear too :(

to unmount the drive, all you have to do is click left button on remote in left menu option when in media center
    unmount.JPG

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    ursiel likes this.
  20. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Thank you, godalmighty. I missed that.