openWRT CRASHED!!

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by pradejonero, Jul 26, 2017.

1. pradejonero

pradejonero New Member

I´ve been using transmissions in my zidoo for months, i have a external HDD coneccted to download the films.
    Out of the blue, transmission was warning me that I didnt have enough space to download the film.
    I went to the ziddo, and I dont know why it wasnt recognising my external HDD, I disconnected and connected again, and I was able to wtach films in kodi from it.
    I tried to download the film again, and nothing, same problem, I tried to check my external hard drive from my computer and I couldnt.
    I restarted my zidoo, factory reset..nothing. I went to OpenWRT interface, I tried to change the lenguaje...and CRASHED.
    I had the same problem than this guy.

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/openwrt-crashed.4182/#post-20614

I tried to flash a new firmware update, but nothing changed. I thought this upgrades were upgrading also OpenWRT but its still blocked.

Any ideas about what to do?

2. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

3. n_p

n_p Active Member

If you can't get the hard drive to show up on your PC - its most likely a harddrive failure.

It happens.

If you are using NTFS as a file system, file system corruption is a thing that also happens sometimes, because NTFS isnt exactly the best file system to deal with power cuts ( https://superuser.com/questions/194412/is-ntfs-fail-safe-in-case-of-a-power-outage ).

That said, if the drive really doesnt show up anymore (next step is to try windows disk management on the PC (https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-disk-management-2626080), just to see if the drive shows up at all), something went wrong on the HW level.

Either the USB controller died (next step is to take the HDD out of the usb enclosure, and try a different one, or try it via SATA), or the harddrive gave in.

If it still doesnt show up using a different USB connector board, or SATA - data recovery will get hard at that point. Spinright is a tool you could try if you have access to a PC - after that its sending it to a data recovery service and pay thousands of dollars.

If the harddrive died - its most likely not Openwrts or Zidoos fault (hard to tell in the cas of Zidoo, because too few people are using the box right now, to do a statistical assessment) - because, and here is the logic, OpenWRT is a Linux distribution, and the USB and NTFS drivers you use - are tested thousandfold in real usage scenarios all over the world. Every router, every embeded device, most homeservers - use those modules. If Zidoo is "conservative" (and hopefully responsible at the same time) when it comes to updating the OpenWRT build (and they mot likely are, because it costs them money.. ;) ), there should almost be a close to 0% chance that the failure was caused by software.

(Im also using transmission, on different devices for years now - so that should not have been the cause either. )

Updating or resetting the X9S wont help, if your harddrive died.. ;)

(Try it with a different harddrive or a USB stick - to get some data on "what has failed".)
    -

@mirror: Is there a way to reset the Openwrt interface vie ssh? (in case only the GUI crashes?)

Or to put in in a hypothetical - if only the Openwrt GUI (graphical interface) is crashing at that point, you should be able to delete its config files (to start over) via ssh and the command line - that said, most millenials wouldnt know how to do it - and ssh afair isnt enabled by default.

Resetting the entire box would be your last resort at that point. To get OpenWRT working again.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  4. Gwadalolo

Gwadalolo New Member

You can try :
    rm -rf /overlay/*