New Linear Power supply upgrade for DMP A-6

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by audio58, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I have and reported on what I thought in post #38 on this thread.

Roy N likes this.
  2. Roy N

Roy N New Member

Yeah, that's definitely what I hear and generally what others do too. Plus a slightly less bright top end.

3. Mantis Toboggan

Mantis Toboggan New Member

I have and my subjective, sighted, and biased impression is that it sounds exactly the same with the LPS as it did with the SMPS.

I use it only as a digital transport to an external DAC. Have not tried with internal DAC.

fofocho, Alan Rutlidge and octavius like this.
  4. Roy N

Roy N New Member

The good thing is, that it doesn't sound worse. :)

5. octavius

octavius Member

Also, here Keith keeps saying that it will sound the same. So another confirmed case of psychoacoustics.

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  6. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Member

Quite a few people have installed the LPS-A6 power supply, I have, and I've done several other mods to my A6, but sadly this forum is no longer a place where one can share impressions or opinions :(

_Richard_, Jone1973 and Fergus like this.
  7. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Active Member

Of course you can just buy another unit and compare the two unsighted and level matched.
    Keith

Mantis Toboggan and octavius like this.
  8. Monkey3017

Monkey3017 Member

You can - this forum has useful tool (you need to click on members name in the left bar)
    ignore_tool.png

JamOne, _Richard_, Jone1973 and 4 others like this.
  9. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

IMHO I respectfully disagree. I've found this forum a very informative resource on the DMP-A6.
    From a personal perspective if someone posts something and cites it as an opinion then readers should treat it as that - an opinion. I feel the friction develops when someone insists that their opinion is factually based but fails to provide and explanation or evidence to back up their assertions when politely asked to do so. Simply stating ".. my opinion is fact because I say so..." IMHO just doesn't carry any weight in my eyes.
    A useful tool is one @Monkey3017 has posted above. If someone consistently makes remarks that rub you up the wrong way simply use the "Ignore" feature. Works for me. ;)

On a different and more on topic discussion, what other mods have you done to your DMP-A6 and have you shared them here on the forum?

10. Berico

Berico Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  11. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

Thank you for posting the link to this. It was an interesting read.
    One comment that stood out for me was this -
    "It should be noted that the measurements, if carried out correctly, correspond anywhere in the world (which does not happen with the ears between different individuals [​IMG])

I have to agree. My only caveat would be that both units should be measured using the same test equipment and measuring techniques to correctly compare apples with apples. Different test equipment or measuring techniques could give different results due to limitations of either the test equipment or the measurement technique(s) used to obtain the results.

In both cases the multitone test (which is quite a stringent one and closely approximates music which is a complex waveform comprised of many frequencies) is impressive in both results. From 100Hz upwards there's nothing above 130dB below the test tone levels. This guys is so far down it's at inaudible levels. Also considering human hearing drops off in sensitivity at low SPLs outside of the range 1kHz to 3kHz (ref. Fletcher-Munson et al curves) and then there's the masking effect. Any spurious tones, noise or distortion if low enough simply can't be heard when the music is playing. If you are hearing any of these it isn't coming from the DMP-A6 or DMP-A6ME in this case, it's most likely to be in the recording (this included the encoding audio format) you're listening to or something else in the audio chain. This IMHO is why so many subjective reviews are usually flawed. It depends so much on the listener's hearing capability (or claimed capability), other components in the system, loudspeakers or headphones and the room acoustics in the case of the former, not to mention the most subjective and that's the listener's preference for a particular sound signature or tonality. The subjective variables are infinite and that totally explains why two or more listeners listening to the same equipment in the same room to the same music will more than likely have differing opinions.

Tests which are absent from the above article are -
    • Frequency response.
    • THD vs frequency
    • Frequency response vs phase
    • Transient response with the various FIR filters enabled.
    • Level linearity in decoding.

All of these will have an influence on how the DAC sounds to a lesser or greater degree.

Nutul, Peter Wallop and The Moog like this.
  12. Berico

Berico Member

This was performed and not published, it has no favorite working point, everything is digested perfectly.
    for the rest I will ask, interesting the USB noise, is something wrong with the connection? is there any setting? I have never used it with an external DAC.