SACD ISO tag editor for Windows

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Alan Rutlidge, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

I was just wondering if any knows of a tag editor for SACD ISO files that can be run on the Windows platform. I'm aware there is apparently an excellent one for MacOS, but alas I don't own a Mac and I can't particularly justify the expense of buying one to edit the imbedded tags of a handful of SACD ISO files that have incorrect or missing data.

Here's an example of incorrect tagging in a SACD ISO file I discovered recently.

Album Title: Genuis Loves Company
    Artist: Ray Charles
    Copyright: 2004 Hear Music

Unfortunately the DMP-A6 displays the artist and album data incorrectly, naming both with the copyright information in the artist and album title fields as "2004 Hear Music". :mad: This of course buggers up the library search function as neither the artist nor the album can be searched using the key words "Ray Charles" or "Genius Loves Company". :(

Screenshot_20240402-134636.jpg

I have several other SACDs where the track title is incorrect (either wrong, incorrect spelling or missing altogether).

Reelyator likes this.
  2. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

I Would be curious as well, how the Tags of audio files in SACD Iso´s can be customised and edited!

There was a new feature named "Added the ability for SACD to retrieve audio information through XML files" introduced with FW Vers. 1.2.50. Unfortunately i never found any instruction how this feature can be used. Therfore i have no clue, if and how this can be used to correct or edit the data.

Personally i would bee keen on adding a "[SACD]" to the End of each SACD-Iso-Album Titel in case you have one Album in diferent formats in your library.

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  3. Alan Rutlidge

Here is the abridged version XML file for the Ray Charles Genuis Loves Company SACD I'm referring to. Unfortunately the forum won't allow me to post the full file. The XML file is as created during the ripping process, but it seems the DMP-A6 is ignoring this data and displaying the artist and album title as the copyright data field "2004 Hear Music". Therefore my conclusion is the "Added the ability for SACD to retrieve audio information through XML files" feature is either not working or there is some other issue???
    There appears to be some possible conflict in the XML file data. I will highlight these in BOLD type in the file below. I might try editing the conflicting fields and see what happens.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <AudioMetadata>
    <!-- SACD metadata file (created by sacd_extract, version: 0.3.9.3-107-g01c90ddafb0256f3eb194d2c62e7ee5ba14b1c12) -->
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><Album catalog_number="SACD-1033-6 " set_size="1" sequence_number="1">
    <Title>Genius Loves Company</Title>
    <Artist>Ray Charles</Artist>

<Publisher>P 2004 Concord Records, Inc. </Publisher>
    <Copyright>C 2004 Hear Music </Copyright>
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><Disc disc_version=" 1.20" catalog_number="SACD-1033-6 " creation_date="2004-08-13" locale="en, code_character_set:[1], ISO646-JP" category="General" genre="Adult Contemporary">
    <Title>2004 Hear Music </Title>
    <Artist>2004 Hear Music </Artist>

<Publisher>2004 Hear Music </Publisher>
    <Copyright>2004 Hear Music </Copyright>
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><Area id="0" version=" 1.20" speaker_configuration="2 Channel" area_description="Stereo Program" area_copyright="Hear Music" totaltracks="12" total_play_time="51:45:72 [mins:secs:frames]">
    <!-- [mins:secs:frames] -->
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><track id="1">
    <meta name="TITLE" value="Here We Go Again"/>
    <meta name="PERFORMER" value="Ray Charles with Norah Jones"/>
    <meta name="ALBUM" value="Genius Loves Company"/>
    <meta name="ALBUM ARTIST" value="Ray Charles"/>
    <meta name="SONGWRITER" value="Russell Steagall & Don Lanier"/>
    <meta name="TRACKNUMBER" value="1"/>
    <meta name="TOTALTRACKS" value="12"/>
    <meta name="GENRE" value="Adult Contemporary"/>
    <meta name="ISRC" value="USC4R0405430"/>
    <meta name="DATE" value="04"/>
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><meta name="Track_Start_Time_Code" value="00:02:00">
    </meta>
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><meta name="Duration" value="04:00:05">
    </meta>
    </track>
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><track id="2">
    <meta name="TITLE" value="Sweet Potato Pie"/>
    <meta name="PERFORMER" value="Ray Charles with James Taylor"/>
    <meta name="ALBUM" value="Genius Loves Company"/>
    <meta name="ALBUM ARTIST" value="Ray Charles"/>
    <meta name="CONDUCTOR" value="Randy Waldman"/>
    <meta name="SONGWRITER" value="James Taylor"/>
    <meta name="TRACKNUMBER" value="2"/>
    <meta name="TOTALTRACKS" value="12"/>
    <meta name="GENRE" value="Adult Contemporary"/>
    <meta name="ISRC" value="USC4R0405431"/>
    <meta name="DATE" value="04"/>
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><meta name="Track_Start_Time_Code" value="04:02:69">

</meta>
    </track>
    </Area>
    </Disc>
    </Album>
    </AudioMetadata>

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

To begin...

Title and Artis tags are appearing twice, and if I switch to "developer mode" I can definitely say the Eversolo is reading them correctly. It just reads them twice, and the information shown is that of the second set of tags...
    Now, since this file is generated during the rip...
    Anyway, you can try an easy fix: remove these lines entirely, save the file, and update / rescan your library:

"); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><Disc disc_version=" 1.20" catalog_number="SACD-1033-6 " creation_date="2004-08-13" locale="en, code_character_set:[1], ISO646-JP" category="General" genre="Adult Contemporary">
    <Title>2004 Hear Music </Title>
    <Artist>2004 Hear Music </Artist>

<Publisher>2004 Hear Music </Publisher>
    <Copyright>2004 Hear Music </Copyright>

5. Alan Rutlidge

Unfortunately editing the XML file and re-scanning didn't resolve the issue. :( Nor did deleting the XML file.
    This isn't the only library search error. Another one is it doesn't find all the albums regardless of format, so the issue isn't just with SACD ISO files.
    An example is I have several albums by the Canadian group Rush. Typing Rush into the search shows only one album by this artist, so where are the others? However, if I select the one and only album it displays and start playing it then tap on ... ,then select "View Artist", all the albums by the group Rush appear. o_O:confused:
    Now all these issues have only come about IIRC since the V1.2.50 firmware upgrade.
    I've tried reformatting the SSD, loading back all the tracks, factory resetting the DMP-A6 and rescanning the library without any success in resolving these library issues.
    I don't know if there is a library capacity issue. I currently have 145GB free space on my 4TB SSD and there are (according to the DMP-A6 library) a little over 33,000 tracks. Has this exceeded the limit?

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Then try replacing the four lines with the "Hear Music" text, with the four containing the true info:
    <Title>Genius Loves Company</Title>
    <Artist>Ray Charles</Artist>

<Publisher>P 2004 Concord Records, Inc. </Publisher>
    <Copyright>C 2004 Hear Music </Copyright>

TTYTT I know SSDs may present some trouble when close to be full... could be. Those 33K tracks can only trigger a very close number in the powers of 2, and that is 32768... Although I am keen to think the A6 will just ignore scanning the tracks exceeding such limit (if there is one, that is...) rather than showing or not some of the library contents...

BTW, Rush is one of my favorite prog bands; actually the one that made me dive into prog, since I was 14 or 15... The album was the live "Exit Stage Left", and I believe it had been released a couple of years earlier... now you can do some math :)

7. Ecki

Ecki New Member

I don't know any way of SACD iso editing, but i found splitting the ISO into individual tracks (.dsf, e.g. via open source sacd_extract program) and tagging those via mp3tag to be very comfortable.
    DMP-A8 still will achieve gapless playback.

8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Not my way to go: The compression is lost and worse 2CH/MCH swapping too.

9. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

....and how do you make the Evesolo use this xml file? Same folder + same file name like the iso during scanning??

10. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

...This is exactly what i woult try to avoid when using a device that is already capable to play back directly from the Iso...
    Just my personal preference....i know i am lazy...

11. Alan Rutlidge

The xml file is generated as part of the SACD extraction process. It is in the same folder as the ISO and has the same filename as the ISO file by default.
    Apparently the DMP-A6 had "Added support for obtaining audio information from SACD via XML files" since V1.2.44 firmware. How it works is beyond my pay grade so that question would need to be directed to the eversolo development team for an explanation. Also where in the system is the library data file stored on the DMP-A6?

Ecki likes this.
  12. Ecki

Ecki New Member

I had not been aware of the xml feature at all. Thanks for that one.
    Indeed my former streamer (software player to be correct) did not support such a feature (only cue sheets - but that one did not work with an ISO).

For example, I did not like "Mike Oldfield" as the artist tag in the Tubular Bells SACD ISO - it had to be "Oldfield, Mike" - so, splitting to make use of an external tag editor was the only way to go afaik.
    (BTW i'm still stereo only, the DSF afaik keeps the original music data, gapless is working well - so this procedure is working well for myself)

13. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

Thank you Alan!
    Unfortunately i do not have these xml´s anymore for 99,9 of my SACD-Iso´s. Saw no use in keeping them.

14. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

You can still extract it from the ISO. When I select "export a cue sheet", it export the XML too. But it doesn't really work. I think the A6 scans the ISO first and if it finds metadata, it ignores the XML. I have also tried the XML generated by Foobar and it behaves exactly the same

upload_2024-4-10_15-59-6.png

15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Now you may think differently... ;)

16. Alan Rutlidge

I agree. Even though the V.1.2.50 firmware update says it can utilise the metatag data in XML files, I too have found the A6 ignores it completely. :(

17. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

It could that it was thought for ISO without any metadata? It would have been nice if it was working. I have different versions of the same albums and if they all have the same title, I can't tell them apart. Hence I need to extract the tracks to add "SACD". With Foobar I am able to modify the metadata within the image and it reads it correctly. But when I copy the same image to the A6, it reads all the changes except the album title. It seems there is another field, I think that it's the in the header that Foobar doesn't change. Only the album title for each track. If only Eversolo could change what field is being read we wouldn't even need the XML and make the changes with Foobar

upload_2024-4-10_22-45-38.png