Potential issue with the Zidoo Z9x Pro and its removal of the full/limited range option?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Jimbo Randy, Mar 1, 2024.

1. jt5298

jt5298 Member

I guess in my opinion, will these artifacts/errors show up when watching actual content. Many test patterns that "fail" during calibration tests never can be seen when watching actual content. That is what I would be interested in hearing.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Never tried that but it sounds like another string to add to the bow :)

3. Markswift2003

I use a BT.2020 LLDV EDID in a Vertex2 (but it could easily be provided by the Zidoo).

I have the Zidoo set as follows:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate only

Display/HDR: Dolby Vision Low Latency (LLDV, YUV422, 12BIT)
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235*
    Display/Resolution: 3840x2160p 23Hz

* Note I'm using a Z9X. The Z9X Pro does not have this setting at the moment

I've imported a custom gamma into the projector and have a custom picture profile set for LLDV in the projector with this gamma and a BT.2020 colour profile set.

Because LLDV does not send an HDR flag, the projector doesn't switch into its HDR mode so I just select the above picture profile (I call it LLDV) and hey presto, genuine Dolby Vision.

Image is awesome.

4. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Thanks Mark,

I have read about using an HDFury to implement LLDV. It seems most people use it with projectors that don't have good tone mapping. Some people with projectors also prefer to watch 4k HDR in SDR.

I think I will try using the VS10 DV setting and see if it looks better than auto. One member on the AVSForum said he didn't like that setting, but he was using a TV vs. Projector.

I would prefer to watch HDR on my JVC because of the excellent tone mapping and the benefit of better colors, contrast, etc. I just don't like the noise of the High Lamp.

5. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Seems like this thread has fizzled out. I went to change the settings to utilize the VS10 engine however I don't have this option; Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (Output DV) on my Z2000 Pro?
    I only have Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (Output HDR) and Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (Output SDR).
    Is this because my JVC RS-1100 doesn't do Dolby Vision?
    I'm guessing using the VS10 for HDR option will work since my Projector can only output HDR10. If I'm watching a movie that is in DV will this setting work properly?
    It would be nice if they could just bring back the HDMI range option. I guess I will have to wait in line just like everyone else.

6. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Active Member

The RS-1100 supports HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG, no Dolby Vision so you wont see the options to output DV at all.

7. Markswift2003

Just to confirm...

Yes

and

Yes

8. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Ok, that's what I figured. I honestly can't tell the difference switching between VS10 and auto. I haven't compared a DV disc on my Panasonic player vs the Zidoo, but as I said earlier I wonder if these anomalies only show up on test patterns and not in actual content.
    Has anyone here ran tests to see if they can tell the difference using VS10 vs auto?
    Thanks.

9. Ramdi

Ramdi New Member

Hello.
    I need some help ;)
    Could you explain me why you choose differents bit and different YUV444 or YUF 422... in differents resolutions?
    In my case, I have a Z9x pro with a TCL 75C845 (It has HDR, HDR10 and DV).
    Which optios are the best for me?

Display/HDR: Dolby Vision Low Latency (YUVxxx, yyBIT)
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV(XXXXXX)
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV(XXXXXX)
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV(XXXXXX)
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235 or 0-255

Thanks in advance

10. Markswift2003

Below are the legal colour subsampling modes for different resolutions and bit depths. As you can see, the choice is limited.
    upload_2024-5-7_15-53-5.png
    Video is encoded in 4:2:0 10-bit. Dolby Vision is a bit different and encoded in 10-bit but output in 12-bit (TV Led is carried in an 8-bit RGB container over HDMI but unwrapped to 12-bit at the display). Note this is different for disc delivery devices using FEL where two 10-bit streams are combined to reproduce a 12-bit signal.

You'll note that we can't select the native mode of 4:2:0 10-bit for 4K23~30.

I would select:

Display/HDR: Dolby Vision Low Latency (YUV 422, 12BIT)
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV 420 10Bit
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV 444 10Bit
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV 444 10Bit
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235

But equally valid is YUV 422 12Bit for 4K 23~30 and non 4K and there are arguments to select 4:2:2 over 4:4:4. At 50~60 always choose 4:2:0 because that's native.

Last edited: May 7, 2024
    Ramdi likes this.
  11. Ramdi

Ramdi New Member

Good morning.

Yesterday I changed all theese settings that you recommended me. THANKS !!!!

And now I have some questions ;)

I have my Tv calibrated professionally with Calman and Xrite, I don´t know if this affects to edid or any information related.

-Display/Resolution: 3840x2160p 23Hz --> I have to check lock resolution tick?
    -What is the effective difference between 23Hz and 24Hz option?
    -HDMI Color range in 16-235 or auto?

-If I select Display/HDR: Dolby Vision Low Latency (YUV 422, 12BIT) I cannot watch any content in HDR or HDR10+. My tv is compatible with HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision and HLG. So I have to select AUTO if I want to see HDR movies.

-When you said that is equally valid YUV 422 12bit for 4K 23-30 and there are arguments to select 422 over 444 which are these arguments? If its better I choose 422 without any problems.
    In my totally ignorance I had every option in maximum values until yesterday :)

-I have uploaded 2 different EDID.
    One with Z9xPro connected to my Onkyo TX RZ50 and the Onkyo connected to my TCL75" c845 and the second one is with Z9xPro connected directly to my TCL TV.

This TV has 2 x HDMI 2.1 (40 Gbps) and 2 x HDMI 2.0 (18 Gbps). All with hdmi 8k cables certified. I have connected Zidoo to onkyo (HDMI2.1) and onkyo to the tv with 8k cables and eARC HDMI 4k @60Hz connection.

If you could review them and tell me what things change between both and if everything is correct in my configuration or should I make a custom EDID, I would appreciate it.

Thank you so much!!!

Attached Files:

12. Markswift2003

1. Lock Resolution is only to maintain that resolution on reboot. You should tick it.

2. 23Hz = 23.976fps, 24Hz = 24fps. Most content is in 23.976fps (24000/1001)

3. Dolby Vision Low Latency (YUV 422, 12BIT) will output all content in LLDV including HDR10 & HDR10+. If you want to watch HDR10(+) content natively then yes, you have to choose Auto.

4. Without going into an indepth discussion of colour subsampling and bandwidth, just chose the option that looks best, but I would expect you would see no difference at all.

Unless you have a particular reason to, there's no need for a custom EDID. The Onkyo just adds its audio modes to the EDID.

Ramdi likes this.
  13. Ramdi

Ramdi New Member

I thing this is not the correct thread. If you want, I have quoted you in EDID thread (RTD1619BPD players)