Potential issue with the Zidoo Z9x Pro and its removal of the full/limited range option?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Jimbo Randy, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

that setting was removed in Z9x Pro it only there on Z9X n previous models.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'm told it'll be back at some point - it was added back to a recent internal beta but then removed again because of issues in its operation.

3. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

OK. Man, this constant changing of settings is making me feel like an idiot, looking for settings that aren't there and all. Thanks for the info.

4. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

Grrrrr.... :confused:

5. Markswift2003

You don't need it, it's automatic.

All broadcast, streamed and disc based video content is encoded in limited range, 64-940 for 10-bit, 16-235 for 8-bit.

Content contains a flag to define whether it was encoded in limited or full range and the player honours that flag depending on the display capabilities defined in the EDID (some displays, notably Samsung, don't have the ability to select ranges either YCC and/or RGB).

Have a look at any of your files with Media Info and I bet they all say "Color range: Limited".

Oldpainless likes this.
  6. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

@Markswift2003 - slighty different hardware I know, but Auto has never worked on my setup, as the Zidoo defaults to full range even though the display is set at limited. So I just leave the Zidoo set at limited.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  7. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Member

I'm setting up the second z9x that Amazon sent me, hopefully it's a bit smoother than the first one. I noticed when I went to update the firmware it said it was up to date with 1.069. So I guess I have to grab 1.075 from here and install it via USB. Currently scanning my movies. Why does it take so long when Plex and Jellyfin do it in like 2 minutes? Probably been asked a thousand times before. I'm new here ya know.

8. Markswift2003

That's odd - there used to be an issue with Auto a couple of years ago but I'm sure it got fixed - but yeah, I tend to set such things discretely rather than rely on the vagaries of HDMI... The Pro seems to be ok though.

Oldpainless likes this.
  9. Oldpainless

Understood, just wanted to flag the whole Auto thing, just in case (not working on the 1000pro (i'm on the latest fw)).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  10. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Here he is again saying to use 0-255.

11. Jimbo Randy

Anyone have any luck investigating this?

12. floki

floki New Member

In that DMDreview video he suggests the option: "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For All Content)" but I don't even have that opinion on my Z9X Pro! Does anyone have!?

13. Jimbo Randy

He's reviewing the z9x and z9x pro both in this video, so probably that one is from the OG model.

floki likes this.
  14. Jimbo Randy

@Markswift2003 Hello sir, did you have any luck investigating this topic?

15. Markswift2003

Well you know I kinda started and then I have to admit I got bored with it and found something more interesting to do (bread making is my latest craze until the weather gets good enough to fire up the pizza oven ;) )...

It all seems to hang off the performance of one test pattern and is to do with the way individual code values are translated (video luminance levels 64 - 940).

I went straight to looking at primary colour code values using Mehanik test patterns - he provides step values 64-111, 112-159, 160-207 etc and some wider patterns too.

Aside from the fact that the original premise doesn't hold water with all displays (my Samsung doesn't have selectable quantisation levels in YUV and my Sony, which does, shows artifacting in full range), if you look at code value patterns you can't really see any difference in terms of quantisation.

Bottom line is I can't really tell you what's going on with that S&M Chroma pattern but all commercial video is delivered in limited range (always mastered in full range, always delivered in limited) so I'm sticking with that. Although to be fair I always use VS10 anyway so the conversation is a bit academic for me.

Just to say though that these boxes aren't exactly bits of reference kit (and that goes for any consumer BluRay player too) and there are always small and generally unnoticable quantisation errors - but you also have to remember that these test patterns are meant for display calibration not source calibration and I think people sometimes forget that.

Jimbo Randy, Oldpainless and xskip like this.
  16. Oldpainless

Must be that time of the year, but there is something satisfying about watching the dough work and glutens form, but also deeply troubling that I have to stand there and watch it working.......

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    Markswift2003 likes this.
  17. Markswift2003

I invested in a spiral dough machine this year - best gadget EVER!

Oldpainless likes this.
  18. Oldpainless

Ah, I'll stick with the trusty Kitchenaid for now.

19. Jimbo Randy

Ever get into Pickling? Just as fun as bread baking :)

20. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Hey Mark,
    Can you share your settings you use with your JVC projector. I know you have an older model than mine (RS-1100) but just wondering what you set for HDR and SDR. You said you use the VS10 for everything. How does the picture look?
    Are you using the basic settings on the "recommended setting's" page?