Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Pete B, Jan 2, 2024.

1. NatX

NatX New Member

Tried this particular model and no, it's going back. Zidoo is so much smoother in so many aspects. Dune is pretty clunky in it's implementation. Probably can learn to live with the quirks but Zidoo's execution is so much better.

darkeyes909 likes this.
  2. darkeyes909

darkeyes909 Active Member

I have a pro1000 and the new Dune. Zidoo beats it in every category. Picture quality is better, options are more useful and better, gui is better. I find the Zidoo a better performer in every catagory. I have three Dune players and am not a Zidoo fan boy. But Dune has dropped the ball.

3. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

Well, thats not what i noticed. This socket is simply a lot faster, especcially DV & IPTV looks better, and overall you feel the (big) difference between the 1619dr and the S928X-J. Or, this is not a PS5 pro, but a PS6 :)
    About the gui, yes, Zidoo is more simple and easy to setup. I wished that Zidoo did not go with the Pimped 1619, but moved over to the S928X-j Socket, then Zidoo would be preferred.

Also, the fact that Zidoo is putting more the resources in Eversolo makes it for me a upwarts update/decision.

gymnos likes this.
  4. darkeyes909

Yes, the Dune is faster. I don't find that a priority as much as ease of set up, use and image quality. It is personal taste and equipment and settings, but I find the Zidoo has a much more natural and pleasing picture. Neither gui is rocket science.

5. darqman

darqman Member

Isn't that the truth! If the Eversolo Android app had all the issues of the Android Zidoo Controller I bet they would fix it pronto!

Here's proof:
    Eversolo Control updated 2/2/24
    Zidoo Controller updated 5/15/23

Is it really too much to ask that a media player have an app with a now playing screen that actually works??

gymnos likes this.
  6. madfloyd

madfloyd New Member

Darn. I was hoping for a solution to Zidoo's clunky browsing speed.

7. darkeyes909

I find the Dune8 to have very fast browsing speed. But, when choosing play, pause etc. there is a long delay.

gymnos likes this.
  8. madfloyd

madfloyd New Member

Interesting, thanks. I have over 3000 titles and the Zidoo is a disaster when browsing. It's also a pita when trying to filter etc. I saw a video of the Dune8 and it seemed so much better that I order one today.

If the delays in playing, pausing, chapter skipping etc are that frustrating then I might return it.

Or use it to figure out which movie to watch and then search for it on the Zidoo lol.

gymnos and Pete B like this.
  9. darkeyes909

I may just be still uniformed regarding options etc. in the Dune8, but I find that although it is much faster than the Zidoo in "browsing", the layout is not as informative or flexible. For example it does not show date or size of file during browsing or have options to change format of viewing other than posters or lists.

10. madfloyd

madfloyd New Member

Good to know, thank you. I'll keep my expectations low and expect to return it.

11. darkeyes909

They have already release an update to the firmware. This unit is so very new, I have hopes that they will keep improving and adding features.

gymnos and madfloyd like this.
  12. darqman

darqman Member

I have to agree. What Dune calls the "New UI" is horrible in my opinion. I had to revert mine back to the legacy UI.

darkeyes909 likes this.
  13. madfloyd

madfloyd New Member

Interesting, the new UI looks great in a YouTube video I saw and the Zidoo UI (apart from performance with large libraries) has some pretty clunky navigation.

Not that I have any reason to disbelieve you, mind you, as a software designer myself, I'm perhaps very picky.

14. darqman

darqman Member

That's why I clarified IMHO :)

I also have an older box so they may not be the same, much like the cheaper Zidoos vs UHD models. Having said that, I always thought like Dunes UI was never as appealing as Zidoos.

Do you have a link to what you saw? I'm curious to take a look.

15. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Obviously it's a matter of individual opinion, but I'd say the Dune interface is pretty awful, especially when you go deeper. I always describe it as a "My First Media Player" look and the skeuomorphic nature of the icons is very dated.

The old interface is much better but only if you skin it. As far as I know there isn't a skinning schema for the new GUI.

I know Zidoo's basic front end is no looker, but it's far more attractive than Dune's and the premium GUI more so again.

And as for My Collection - HT4 beats that with one hand tied behind its back.

DaveH1, gymnos and darqman like this.
  16. madfloyd

madfloyd New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2024
  17. darqman

darqman Member

Yes, that's the same as my older box when I upgrade it. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2024
    madfloyd likes this.
  18. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

Well...yes and no :) Yes, the HT gui is so simple and detailed that it is a winner, but no, the scraping part on especially a big series ext source is a no go. On that part the S928X-J beats the DR with miles.
    And that slow scraping part ( and missing episodes) became annoying here, it took ages here with the z9x to re-scrape the series source.
    Also, the subtitle part works way better over here.

Overall the dune gui is far more nerdy, and sometimes hard to understand the logic behind it. But once found out ( that takes a week, at least over here) its fine, and with the same or more options?
    To make a long story short, you feel the linux mind behind it :).

The thing i did not know was the 'premium' part and just found that out yesterday. and *that* is also a serious plus.
    It';s is my first dune, and the only thing i wonder is the support for a model, since they release a Sh*tload of models over the years.

gymnos likes this.
  19. madfloyd

madfloyd New Member

Yes, scraping is problematic. Slow and I often need to go to my desktop computer to 'rematch' many files.

Also weirdly disappointing is it's 'in progress' (or 'continue watching') likes to give up if it's been over a certain time period. I sometimes watch parts of several movies or shows and have lost track of what I have been watching as HT4 is only showing me very recent content.

May I ask what you mean by 'you feel the linux mind behind it'? Do you mean something to the effect of 'designed by a programmer'?

20. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

The whole settings part is what i would call spartan. So yes, more by a programmer than a 'user friendly' approach. Nothing serious, but you need to tune in in the design-concept.
    But indeed, the scraping part ( and subs handling) is imo far better, faster & accurate. That can be the underlying Linux OS, but i assume it is also the socket.

madfloyd likes this.