Plex client for Zidoo devices - ZidooPlexMod

Discussion in 'Plex for Zidoo' started by bowlingbeeg, Dec 31, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Edworld

Edworld Member

There is an option in Kodi to check for updates on all repos and not just Kodi repo

2. Creator44

Creator44 Member

I tried this and it's pretty good! It does not have all the functionalities of the standard Plex client app but most of the basic important ones are present.

One thing that annoys me though: why does ZDMC always start and run in 4k 50Hz resolution? Is it something that was hardcoded into the .apk version because the one that created it is in Europe?

I put 4k 59.94Hz in the System -> Display settings of ZDMC but it still keeps starting and running the GUI at 4k 50Hz. It seems like it's ZDMC doing that and not the ZidooPlexMod.

Is there a way to put that to 4k 59.94Hz or 4k 60Hz instead of 4k 50Hz?

3. limitz

limitz Member

If we could get the Watchlist functionality this client would be perfect. Only thing I'm missing but everything has been running smoothly.

4. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

My ZDMC always starts in whatever resolution I have the Zidoo device set to so must be something unique to your setup. What do you have the Zidoo set to?

5. bowlingbeeg

That's on the todo list in the upstream fork(PM4K).

Creator44 likes this.
  6. Creator44

Creator44 Member

It works if I set ZDMC and the Zidoo box to 4k 60hz instead of 59.94hz. Seems like there us a glitch with using 59.94Hz when launching ZDMC that makes it switch the Zidoo box and ZDMC to 4k 50Hz, at least on my setup.

7. limitz

limitz Member

I found a file in my library that plays on Shield and Plex desktop client, but consistently gives an error through the ZidooPlexMod player. Doesn't matter if I select the "Resume" or start from beginning option.

Mind taking a look at the debug? I can share the file over drive as well.

Attached Files:

8. bowlingbeeg

Can you play the file through the media center app? This client just passes the video to the native Zidoo player so there isn't anything for me to look at. My guess is that the Zidoo player doesn't like the format of your media. The Zidoo player does have issues with some types of encodings that maybe aren't quite legal that other video players will actually play. If you can't play it through the media center app as well then you should open a thread in the main forum with the media info output and they can probably point out what the player doesn't like

9. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

nice, this should be fun to set up. running plex in docker on my synology and have several media folders/ disks linked..
    (have zdmc, kodi, and ht4.0 up and going, as well as the android plex player, and the stripped zidoo plex player.. )

for example, this is my plex movie sources from settings, library ...not sure exactly how to get this into plextozido (usb1 is external drive on the synology, test1 es10 is a drive connected to the zidoo, and linked in synology, the 3rd is a path on the internal synology drive)
    thanks much for your time

upload_2024-1-5_7-10-12.png

10. bowlingbeeg

So for that library you'll need to add three substitutions in PlexToZidoo. I think this is what they should look like:
    1. Part of path to replace: /volumeUSB1/usbshare
      Replaced with: smb://x.x.x.x/usbshare
    2. Part of path to replace: /volume1/test1
      Replaced with: smb://x.x.x.x/test1
    3. Part of path to replace: /volume1/Movies and media
      Replaced with: smb://x.x.x.x/Movies and media

Try those out and see if they work for you.

RDS - Z9X Pro and JS_racer like this.
  11. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

@bowlingbeeg
    Awesome, thanks.. I'll give it a shot when I get a chance..
    Greatly appreciate the information, and for all your efforts .. looking forward to trying it out!
    Have a great weekend

bowlingbeeg likes this.
  12. meatsweats

meatsweats New Member

Hey thanks for this!

I set it up today on a Z2000 Pro. First time it wouldn’t find my plex server after linking my account, but a reboot fixed that. Second time the remote stopped working, which I think is unrelated, and after another reboot it all worked like a charm.

I like plex for the library, but its playback leaves a lot to be desired. This is a really nice “best of both worlds” setup, so thank you!

bowlingbeeg likes this.
  13. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I have a similar set up to you and after experimenting the following is what worked for me

My shared paths on my Synology NAS

/volume1/data/media/movies
    /volume1/data/media/tv
    /volume1/Films
    /usbshare1-2

In PlexToZidoo within the 'Substitutions' section I put

Part of the path to replace
    /volume1/data,/volume1/Films,volumeUSB1

Replaced with
    smb://192.168.0.202/data,smb://192.168.0.202/Films,smb://192.168.0.202

JS_racer and bowlingbeeg like this.
  14. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

Seems to be working, thanks for the help with substitutions.. (movies and TV working, same structure)
    I did the developer to 4 apps, was getting kicked to starting kodi stopping some media.. not sure if that was related, more than 2 things running.
    Say, is there a preference between kodi or zdmc for this, or same o for either??

I have both installed, kodi I have as only addons , zdmc I have most of my media, and some addons.. I kept the addons more in kodi, since it uses the default player, and keeps things a bit cleaner that way.

Guess it's easy enough to have in both, since the helper is configured ..
    (Sorry, started thinking outlook, heh)

Would love addons to use the zidoo player, but this is a nice step..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  15. bowlingbeeg

You must be on one of the 1619DR models because starting with the 1619BPD models you don't need to mess around with that.

I exclusively use ZDMC for my development and testing of ZidooPlexMod so I would say the preference would be to use that but it should work in regular Kodi as well. However, as Kodi and ZDMC drift apart in versions there might be times where they don't work the same. If you want to stick ZidooPlexMod on ZDMC and then all of your other apps on Kodi that should work out well. You can keep up to date with the latest Kodi developments for your apps but have a stable ZDMC/ZidooPlexMod combination for your plex content.

JS_racer likes this.
  16. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

OK, making progress, circled back to the plex android app. Installed, signed in, mobile, external player, then tv mode. Working well I think.
    Question, what's the latest version of plex that can be used ??
    Tried using plexapp.android_10.6.0.5141-945897812_minAPI21(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,x86,x86_64)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com but seems to be crashing when going to play something. Is there a different version I should use??
    I'll try again, but so far on 9.13...... that was recomended
    (Plex pass member if that matters)

Happy I got the linking done. Turned off debug, should I turn off title or what that option was as well ??
    Thanks again, very much appreciate it

Yep box is a z9x that was booting me back to kodi start.. I'll stick with zdmc for kodi part, and stand alone plex, if I get that version sorted too.. so many options

17. bowlingbeeg

I don't use the official app anymore because too many times Plex would break things or I'd have to reinstall the app because it would stop working. The ZidooPlexMod in Kodi is much more stable and I actually like the interface better because it cuts out all of the extra crap I don't use. I use Plex for local content only and don't want any of their streaming stuff(which doesn't work on the Zidoo anyway).

JS_racer likes this.
  18. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

Sounds good, appreciate the information. Thank you for all your efforts on the project !!

19. bowlingbeeg

Just pushed version 0.3.5 to the bowlingbeeg.kodi repo. This brings in a fair amount of changes from the upstream 0.7.4 release. As always let me know if you run into any issues.

limitz and RDS - Z9X Pro like this.
  20. limitz

limitz Member

Simply fantastic. Appreciate all your work on this. Zidoo has no idea how much sales you're bringing in. If it wasn't for your add-on, I would never touch any Zidoo product, nor bother to recommend them to anyone. Instead the Z9X Pro with your mod has transformed my media experience, and I have rewatched a ton of my favorite content with VS10 to experience the clarity this brings.

ZidooPlexMod turns Zidoo into the best PQ home streaming device by allowing Plex and my home server to do the heavy lifting, and still gain the the benefits of the VS10 engine. Dolby Vision has never looked so good before, and for local play, PQ far superior to the buggy, and red-push prone Shield Pro.

Without this Plex mod, Zidoo's amazing hardware is hobbled by awful product management and software vision, and especially when compared against the Shield Pro (poor exoplayer implementation, no DV in the native Plex app?).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    Anish Moideen and bowlingbeeg like this.