Plex client for Zidoo devices - ZidooPlexMod

Discussion in 'Plex for Zidoo' started by bowlingbeeg, Dec 31, 2023.

Tags:
  1. kavie87

kavie87 New Member

I have my files mounted on my NUC as NFS files. I can play them through this mode but I do get the error page before it will allow me to play. Will NFS mounted files work on this without the error page, or just SMB?

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I don't have Plex but a visiting friend often plays one of his files via his plex account through my network and sadly not via the Zidoo and its VS10 engine, If I was to get a Plex account and install the add-on on my Zidoo could I play a file located on my Zidoo at his place?

3. limitz

limitz Member

No, local play only to use VS10. The Plex app available on the Play store won't play DV, but will work otherwies.

For DV and more complete support for remote Plex play your best bet is the Shield Pro, the new Dune with Android TV 11, or another android TV box (Homatics, Rocktek, etc).

Netmask likes this.
  4. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

What error screen are you seeing?

5. bowlingbeeg

Remote play can work sometimes, but even when it does there are some limitations. You can't fast forward/rewind, subtitles don't work, and sometimes it doesn't remember your resume points. Most of that is because of issues in the Zidoo player itself so I can't fix that. The resume points issue seems like a Plex server issue but I can't seem to narrow down why it's actually happening. Since the other issues are outside of my control and I don't think Zidoo will ever fix them I've not spent a whole lot of time on the resume points issue.

Netmask likes this.
  6. kavie87

kavie87 New Member

I notice in the error it’s saying no substitution found… but you can see here I’ve filled it out.

Attached Files:

7. limitz

limitz Member

Shouldn't your path substitution be /mnt/Media instead? Also I think it's case sensitive so the "replaced with" part should be Media.

8. kavie87

kavie87 New Member

I changed it… tried /mnt/Media and /Media and it came mntmnt/Media and made both /Media /Media and this is what I’ve got now.

Attached Files:

9. limitz

limitz Member

See if this helps assuming your Plex is setup in docker:

For a docker Plex install, the "path to replace" is the container path, in my case it's "/data" for you I think it's "/media" so you were right in the first place. Type in the full SMB path as the replacement string, reference what is already in the "/data" path in docker. For instance on my Plex install, "/data" is mapped to "/mnt/user/Media/plex/media/". The SMB substitution path is then "smb://192.168.1.5/Media/plex/media". The IP address of the server replaces the "mnt/user" section of the filepath.

https://i.imgur.com/03KAjkV.png

10. Ron L

Ron L New Member

Can I use this play 3D ISO files in plex on my Zidoo?

11. bowlingbeeg

Sorry, I've been on vacation so wasn't keeping up. If you're trying to access the files over NFS then you shouldn't have "smb://" in your substitution. It should be "nfs://". I'm not sure if it will work or not, I've never tried it and it's really up to the zidoo video player if it will work. If it doesn't then there's nothing I can do about it unfortunately.

12. bowlingbeeg

No, Plex does not support ISO files.

13. bowlingbeeg

Pushed version 0.3.7 to the bowlingbeeg.kodi repo. It pulls in the upstream 0.7.6 version with some changes to handling dns rebind better and caching the home users for faster startups.

limitz likes this.
  14. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Active Member

Hi All.
    i've set this up and it is playing back files from my unraid server over SMB just fine, however (and i'm not sure what caused this) when I try to exit playback it tried to constantly restart, the only way to exit playback is to press the home button and exit the app entirely, it doesn't seem to want to ever stop.

When I first set it up earlier this morning and got the paths right for my multiple library locations it worked just fine, pressing back or stop left the built in player and returned to the Plex screen, but now it gets stuck in a loop.

I have the option to autoplay turned OFF but it does not seem to honor that anymore? all settings elsewhere in the zidoo are set to play one file, not to play next or repeat, settings in plex are set up the same too.

15. bowlingbeeg

The "auto play" function in PlexToZidoo only works if you're using the native plex client which I don't recommend anymore(and only works on the Z9X). Can you give me more details? When you say it restarts, does it restart the same file or a different one? Can you turn on debug and and reproduce the problem? If you do then DM me and I'll tell you where to upload the log so I can look. It sounds like you checked this but can you double check that Zidoo Settings -> Playback -> Play mode is set to "Single File". And when you're playing the video if you go into the menu -> Play mode it says "Off".

16. Faceman2k24

I think I figured it out, on all android media players in the past I've been using the developer option to kill background tasks (Dont keep Activities, really helps responsiveness on Nvidia Shield at the expense of app states not being kept when switching between them) but I realize now that in this case zdmc/plex needs to stay loaded in its current state in the background for this to work with the external player, so disabling that and setting limit background tasks back to standard seems to have fixed it.

So now i just need to go in and make my custom layout file as I have dozens of libraries and definitely don't need them all in the menu.

Now i need to try to get this working over NFS rather than SMB, changing the url remapping to the nfs:// address doesn't work, even though the address is seemingly good as I have compared it to playing the same files directly in HT4 over NFS and they work great.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
  17. bowlingbeeg

I'm not sure that nfs works. I thought the new interface that the Zidoo player gave us was supposed to handle nfs:// addresses but maybe it doesn't. I'm not sure if you could mount nfs somehow through android and then just have your substitution point to that mount point.

18. Faceman2k24

NFS is mounted by the OS as /mnt/nfs/192.168.10.10#Media/4K Movies/etc. etc. according to HT4.
    Using a direct nfs:// may not work, but /mnt/nfs/just might.

Not sure how that # in there is meant to work as I don't know much about how android handles mount points, but I will fiddle with using your path replace to point to that internal mount point rather than the network path.

SMB is working fine, but NFS does tend to work better overall so it would be nice to trick it into using that.

19. Faceman2k24

Ok, further testing tells me there might be an incompatibility due to URL-style handling of the #, it gets percent encoded into %23, which for a regular URL would be fine but in this case the system doesn't have a directory called '/mnt/nfs/192.168.10.10%23Media/' so it fails as it wont parse a percent encoded directory.
    Your code uses the java uri.encode which does percent-encoding, so perhaps to map directly to the internal filesystems mount point we would need a different method.

This method would probably require the folders to be mapped in HT4 to work, but that doesn't seem too bad for most plex users library structures, and the metadata matching etc in that app aren't required, just the mount point needs to be established unless we use the built in android nfs moutn capability, but that is missing from the settings so it would have to be handled manually.

Probably more trouble than its worth just to get NFS working.

Might just be that we don't have access to /mnt/ in this way, but it seems like it doesn't parse the address properly.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
  20. bowlingbeeg

I updated PlexToZidoo(version 2.5) to take nfs://192.168.10.10 and replace it with /mnt/nfs/192.168.10.10#. Can you give it a try and see if it works for you?