Android app 1.11.61 and it is getting even worse

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by hjf, Dec 21, 2023.

1. hjf

hjf New Member

Now sorting by Artist stopps in the middle of "B"

2. audio58

audio58 Active Member

Mine crashed the first time today, then tried again and its ok. Wonder if I should of kept the Wiim pro plus..ap was excellent and had chromecast

3. EricR

EricR Member

Mine is awesome.

4. zxs

zxs New Member

Where are the artists sorted?o_O

5. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

I am luckier, it stops to L...if i change sorting orders from Z to A I do get the other half but it stops at L again :D. The version before this one was getting up to L again but then repeated from D to L and skipped all the way to S.

I cleared cache and data, uninstalled the app and installed it again, rescanned library within the app just not to leave anything unattempted ....still the same. I have a Samsung S23 Ultra.

Thank god that the only glitch on my iPad app is the alphabet slider that it shows only up to S, to get further I have to click first on the S....like a stopover when flying long distance :D. This is going on since several updates.

@mirror when can we finally have some decent app?

6. hjf

hjf New Member

I've over 2000 Artist on the internal NVME , so that's why it stops in the middle of "B" for me . I've on old iPad mini too , so I'll wait
    till sometimes there will be a working Android app hopefully .

7. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

I only have 396 with 26.000 tracks....so it seems a memory management problem.

Nutul likes this.
  8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Good point; or some limit (again, dictated by memory constraints?) in the number of entries in a list being built?
    See if the @JamOne can count:
    - all the unique artists including the "L" folder
    - all the albums of all such artists
    probably counting the artists is enough to understand. I expect something around 200 (of course, he might have 250 including the whole L, but maybe the A6 counts up only half of it...)

9. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

I got about 850 albums from A to L, all internal SSD storage. The Lumin app with the Aries Mini library can display everything correctly. Definitely not an OS problem.

Unfortunately the Lumin app in based on OpenHome protocol and doesn't see the Eversolo.

Perhaps instead of resuscitating dinosaurs like LMS, Eversolo could venture into newer protocols too ;)....or simply making its control app working properly

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    Bergholdt likes this.
  10. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I agree to "making its control app working properly"; definitely not to "instead of resurrecting dinosaurs like LMS" though. LMS is rock solid, and has a brand new UI. reinventing the wheel is stoopid, and having something more modern could generally mean registration / patent fees. Then there is always Roon, with its pros and cons, but it is there.

11. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

Well, whether you agree or not is irrelevant. I am not trying to gather consensus. I am just stating the obvious. That is, before investing energies and resources on what is in fact a dinosaur meant for a restricted group of users, Eversolo should prioritize giving us a working control app that is part of the package we paid for. Roon is not the answer, requires a yearly subscription or a significant amount of money for a lifetime one….i think OpenHome is an open protocol and supposedly much better than upnp that would open the doors to the use of many free o relatively cheap apps available around….seeking versatility and flexibilty instead of making happy a restricted group.

http://openhome.org/pages/about/

Uwe and Bergholdt like this.
  12. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Fine. Reinventing the wheel is indeed always an option.

13. pauldune

pauldune Member

I dont agree that this is "obvious". It isn't obvious at all. First thing is that Eversolo shouldn't fix problems with their app by adding protocols for using other apps. They should fix their own app, and I'm sure they are working on that. Further, the arguments you use for bashing LMS can also be used against OpenHome.
    Furthermore, LMS is also open source, and has already a really large user base. Nothing is keeping you from using it, it is free. And last, it is already implemented and it took them little time, so why complain? If many people ask for OpenHome, and it is easy to implement, maybe they look into that too. So far you are the first that I saw.

Nutul likes this.
  14. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

Perhaps you should re-read what i wrote. The obvious is to prioritize the fix of the app and rejecting the use of Roon as solution.

I mentioned OpenHome after that as alternative to LMS because newer and supporting several apps. Other manufacturers like Auralic, Lumin and Linn (the ones i know about) adopted too.
    Please don’t put words in my mouth I didn’t say and also consider that English is my native language….thx.

OpenHome would be a nice addon in giving users the chance to use other apps too as even without bugs, the control app has some shortcoming, ie grouping by genre to say one.

I understanding you are very fond of LMS but i am not bashing anything, just saying that is old and not really convinced that there are many people around with an A6 using it. Maybe you could help and list some modern control app running on Android that support LMS.

instead quoting cliches, you could for a moment step off your pedestal and elaborate what you mean

15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

You are pro OpenHome and whatnot, probably because you know it, and generally embrace every new thing out there; I don't know of many people using other software with the A6, apart the myriad of Android applications that exists for every single streaming service. Or Roon (the big-pockets)
    I am pro LMS because I know it, and maybe being a developer makes me more in favor of software stability. There are not many LMS users on the A6 for the same reason; and maybe also because being "old" is not known to the newcomers.
    What basically I wanted to say is that a free, solid and versatile piece of software able to simplify things, and specifically made with music playback in mind, exists and can be now used on the A6. The fact you consider it old and ugly is, IMO, your problem. I play music, I do not stare at the software allowing me to do so all day long; I care more about its functionality and reliability. It is also a great alternative to Roon, if its price is of some concern.
    The A6 is a player of sort, let's use a player-controller, rather than asking for it to integrate all the newest all-purpose software of choice.

You may, or may not agree with my point of view, as I don't with yours, in the end we're all different.

Enjoy your music the best you can; I do so.

16. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

And this got to do with the wheel thing how?

You should look at evolution too. OpenHome is super stable, if you don't know it you can't judge either but as I have seen you often doing, you do judge based on assumptions. Kind of pedantic and pretentious, if you ask me....no offense, it's just the feeling I get by reading all your posts. Anyway, Lighting DS, Lumin app and also Linn Kazoo, use OpenHome. As user of LDS and Lumin app I can tell you they are very stable with LDS being a fantastic app. Shame that Auralic locked it to their product only.

The problem od LMS is that there is almost no development for new apps for the reason that is too old, even Logitech dropped it. Logitech Media Server dropped by Logitech....it sounds almost like a joke, I wonder what the reason could be.
    OpenHome I think is also free, stable and versatile, it's an evolution of upnp being used by several apps around. Made with music playback in mind too (seems obvious to me)....didn't see an app for watching movies yet :D....but maybe it exist too who knows. As you see all the arguments you are using to keep LMS alive, because you like it, are applicable to other protocols too. As developer (my god you repeat over and over again like it makes some kind of authority) you prefer to stay in the comfort zone of what you know.

Amen, finally a sensible thing

Anyway, my main message was, give us (not you) a control that works before venturing into other projects.....I think these bugs are going around since the beginning.....there are several people who also asked a landscape view for the Android app too long ago....instead we get LMS...do you follow?

Nutul and Jone1973 like this.
  17. pauldune

pauldune Member

I reread your post, and to me it still looks like with obvious you meant the whole story, including proposing openhome as alternative. I agree with you on fixing the app should have priority. But I have a feeling that the people working on the app are not neccesary the same developers who are working on the eversolo firmware.
    I think you are mistaken about development on LMS; there is still a lot of development. Plugins updates are coming every month. Every year a new version of LMS. The material web interface. An active forum. I tried searching for usage numbers, for LMS and Openhome, couldnt find anything.
    A control app for Android could be "Orange Squeeze", but I can not check it out myself, as I don't have Android devices anymore.
    Anyway, the material skin almost makes control apps obsolete, it is that good, and good looking.

Just want to say one more thing : you accuse Nutul being "pretentious" and that he should come off his pedestal, but to me it looks the other way around. Maybe you don't mean it like that, but your tone isnt always nice.

18. SilentWave

SilentWave New Member

All of the previous versions of Eversolo app worked fine on my phone (running Android 12) until the last couple versions. The one before the most current one crashed sometimes, but the current version keeps crashing on me. Also, it often doesn't display on my phone what's playing no matter I'm playing music from Eversolo internal SSD, a USB-connected external HDD or USB thumb drive, or Spotify (through Spotify Connect). I have tried restarting my phone, restarting the Eversolo app on my phone, and even turning off the Eversolo hardware & turning it on again. None worked.

19. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

I would never have said that OpenHome is the obvious choice, it is just a wish that would open the door to several scenarios for what control apps are concerned. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

The way I mean it was: "I am just stating the obvious. That is, before investing energies and resources on what is in fact a dinosaur meant for a restricted group of users, Eversolo should prioritize giving us a working control app that is part of the package we paid for."
    The "That is" was meant to refer to the "obvious" and then there is the "Obvious", after that a period...sentence ended as I then say that Roon is a very expensive alternative.

I am not accusing anyone of anything, I am just stating the feeling I get from several things I have seen around and I say it in a very direct way....I see you are from The Netherlands, I am not Dutch but I have been living in the country since 1993, and I think you may understand what I mean....perhaps I say it in an overly passionate way that is still a legacy of my home country :). Thx for letting me notice it, I will keep it in mind and will make it a point of being more moderate. Thx for the suggestion, I will try the app once the firmware will become official...don't want to dive in an alpha program without possibility to roll back if something may get really annoying, like some users having this crackling issue.

pauldune likes this.
  20. pauldune

pauldune Member

Thanks for your honest reply. And hey, better a passionate reply, even one that I don't fully agree with, than a standard answer without thinking.
    I totally agree with you that a working app on all mayor platforms should have highest priority.
    Without app, the expirience of any streamer is seriously diminished.

JamOne likes this.