How old are the DMP-A6 owners?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by curael, Nov 11, 2023.

?

How old are you?

1. 18-29

2. 30-35

3. 36-40

4. 41-50

5. 51-60

6. 61-65

7. 66-70

8. 71+

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The last choice in fact should read: 71+

2. curael

curael Member

God dammit you're right. I can't change ones that are already added. Oh no! :eek:

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I've changed it.

curael and Nice Monkey like this.
  4. curael

curael Member

Oh thank you! :cool: Wonderful

5. Pitscher

Pitscher New Member

I'm 52. I don't stream music. I have to own her. Only on CDs, Blu Rays and DVDs. Now digitally on the hard drive of the DMP-A6. That's where my surround music is. My stereo music is on a Cocktail Audio.

Nutul likes this.
  6. Nice Monkey

7. Pitscher

Pitscher New Member

Nutul and Nice Monkey like this.
  8. Gil Fuhrer

Gil Fuhrer Member

62 year old here.

Using my DMP-A6 as a streamer transport for Quobuz and Amazon. Quite happy with it as I graduated from an integrated amp with a built in streamer to the DMP-A6. The A6 resolved every issue I had with the integrated. Sure, the A6 has had its issues, but I do believe that Zidoo is working to resolve them and in my eyes, has done a good job thus far.

My rig:

DMP-A6
    Cambridge CNX CD Transport
    PS Audio Stellar Strata
    ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 Bookshelf speakers
    Morrow power cables
    Stock USB (to be upgraded with the upcoming Black Friday sales)
    Blue Jeans speaker cables

David Sharp and Peter Wallop like this.
  9. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

Been interesting in audio and better quality sound since I was 12 in the late 1960s. You can do the math on my age or simply look at my profile. :p

Started with hooking up a much better quality speaker to the TV and it kind of progressed from there.
    Built my first stereo amplifier when I was 15. Then came DIY speakers, a Philips GA408 belt drive turntable fitted with an ADC moving magnet cartridge, and by then the audio bug had well and truly bitten.
    Just a few years later I got rid of the belt drive turntable and upgraded to the then just released Technics SL1200 direct drive turntable and fitted it with an Audio Technical AT-D headshell and a Shure V15 type III cartridge.
    Along came more DIY amplifiers, a cassette deck and a reel to reel. The DIY amps and speakers eventually got replaced with a Yamaha CA700 integrated and a pair of KEF Concerto speakers.

Lots of gear has come and gone, but I still have my first pair of KEF speakers in storage and the original Shure V15 type III cartridge is now fitted with a VN35MR microridge stylus and the Audio Technica AT-D headshell are still in heavy rotation on a Technics SL1200-GLD limited edition turntable. Of course, I've moved on to far better preamps, power amps and speakers.

Current basic system config for everyday 2ch listening is -
    • DMP-A6
    • Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/CD player
    • Tascam 32B reel to reel deck
    • DIY preamp
    • CEC DX71 Mk2 DAC
    • ME-850 Hi-cap power amp
    • Equinox Audio Jupiter speakers
    • and a whole swag of other components that I listen to occasionally like a Tascam DAT, Sony MiniDisc, Philips DCC, Pioneer DVD-Audio player, Teac reel to reel, Sony cassette deck and would you believe an ancient Akai 8-track recorder just for those nostalgia moments. o_O:D

10. David Sharp

David Sharp New Member

Im halfway between 49 and 50, ive always liked music but have listened more while driving then at home. Always had a basic home cinema set up as 5.1. I have slowly been upgrading old equipment to have a music side to it as well. Still learning and still a way to go.

Current set up.
    DMP-A6, for streaming Tidal
    Marantz 7015
    Fyne Audio 501 as front speakers.
    Kef Eggs for center, height and surround.
    kef Sub.
    Currently 5.1.2

Hoping to replace my old Kef Eggs with the corresponding Fyne Audio center and surround next year once i have re-done the room.

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  11. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Love the Denon CD player. Has the rotary dial for track advance. Such a rare awesome feature. Looks like a tank too. Awesome.

Alan Rutlidge and curael like this.
  12. curael

curael Member

It's great. Unfortunately the transport itself has some tracking errors. I replaced the lens but it still has some issues reading tracks from time to time and sometimes while it's playing you can hear the lens mechanism clicking to keep aligned. It's terrible. But I got it for 20 bucks so I took a chance. :D Unfortunately I couldn't fix it but once it plays, it plays.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  13. Nice Monkey

Have a 30 Euro new USB CD/DVD player connected to my DMP-A6 which most likely sounds better than any 10 year+ (very) expensive CD-player.
    It is all in the quality of the DAC used to play the disc once Digital Audio Extraction is successful. Modern DAC's are a lot better than anything that could be produced in the past (above all crystals). They still look fantastic and are impressive but for the sound just forget them. Play the FLAC instead using your DMP-A6.

Most old(er) drives have a digital output via SPDIF but that one does not run via XMOS when fed to a DMP-A6 hence not producing the results desired.

14. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Well at least you are consistent. ;)

15. Nice Monkey

Because that is how it works/is. Of course it is nice to believe the hyped stories of the past selling fantastic CD-players. Mostly these came with the best DAC's available too so they sounded actually relative good in those days. Have a very nice Pioneer still in my attic (=stored).

I challenge anybody to use one of those fancy CD-Players and compare with the same quality CD extracted and played as FLAC on the DMP-A6 using the Internal DAC. Both to be fed analog to the same AMP+speakers. No need for the Master Edition the Standard Edition will already do.
    Please do A/B blind listening with this setup. I did and all my test persons came to the same verdicts consistently: The DMP-A6 produces the better sound. ;)

I know that CD-Player had: A massive chassis, weighted a ton, super disc drive, had 3 divided shielded compartments and a very nice (but now hopeless outdated) DAC design. It can do real pain to put it into the old electronics bin. :p

I have an OPO UDP-203 still in my rack as a reference for no other usage than prove Media Player manufactures that not doing/playing something correctly above all with menu's is their fault.
    Oh yes it plays DVD-Audio albums perfect too with their original menus and audio format choices.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  16. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Well, Amir from ASR, and it appears you, miss the same point. And like me, are super stubborn about your opinions. The point is, just because a modern DAC performs better on a test bench, does not mean it automatically sounds better in real life practice. My old Denon sounds more like real life music than the A6. Period.

17. Nice Monkey

Motion taken: But take a big test audience then most will disagree with you but some for sure will agree. Good to have a personal taste. ;)

Many youngsters in fact prefer listening to Youtube.

18. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Forgot to say something about your Oppo. I have the legendary Oppo 105. When the new 203 and 205 first came out, they basically got loved by 50% and hated by the other 50% (exact numbers made up for purpose of discussion, but the 205 was NOT universally loved). The newer DACs and their implementation ruined the sound for many (overly hyper detailed and thin shrill sounding). I agreed with them. My 105 sounds more real than a 205.

But, my old Denon sounds magnificently more real than my 105. That's why the Denon is in my rack and the 105 is not. I plan to sell the 105 at some point.

19. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

The majority of people prefer their TVs to be overly bright with inaccurate colors that pop off the screen. Their choice.

I prefer my TV to look like real life. My choice.

The majority of people have never even heard of ISF or TV calibration. Never mind that they would never pay $400 to have a proper calibration done.

Yet everyone that has ever visited my house and watched my TV says basically the same thing. "Why does your TV look so different than mine? Yours looks REAL. Like I'm right there at the game. Mine doesn't look anything like that."

To look "REAL" is the greatest compliment a TV can receive. In my opinion, the same goes for music.

Jonsc and Gil Fuhrer like this.
  20. Nice Monkey

@Bonzo
    Remember why my Oppo 203 stays installed? Not for Video neither for Audio specific qualities.
    It has the best compatibility in reproducing any Video or Audio album produced by studios including DVD-Audio, SACD, 4K, DV and HDR10+ which is unique.
    It is used via HDMI. Never put a real disc into it just play 1:1 copy sources from my HDD.

Selling an OPPO 105? Is there still a market for such a player?