Review and need-to-know Eversolo DMP-A8 streamer

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Nice Monkey, Nov 1, 2023.

1. kc001

kc001 Active Member

OVII == TI OPA1612
    which you can see for yourself if you zoom in this photo:
    upload_2023-11-2_13-11-44.png

And plenty of Omron G6K-2P-Y Surface Mounting Relays (clearly visible here & here):
    upload_2023-11-2_13-37-5.png

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Updated the main text on several places with additional details. Above all with what potentially to expect from that AKM chipset including the DSP combined with Analog Inputs.

@Markswift2003
    Lets see what these predictions result in. The previous were pretty accurate.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  3. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

Hi,
    Thank you for your fairly detailed analysis and the ensuing exchanges with other members on the question chosen by Eversolo, a single AKM premium Dac, not a dual Dac like on SMSL D 400 EX or Gustard A26. It's difficult to assess in terms of objective performance and subjective sound rendition between a dual DAC solution and a single DAC solution. I agree with your conclusion: "Eversolo comes with a stereo-only model, this time aimed at those who prefer/have an expensive dedicated stereo setup. This is a different section of the market clearly opened up with the DMP-A6 Master Edition selling like hotcakes. The DMP-A8 apparently replaces this (interim) model. For me, the DMP-A8 offers similar value for money."
    I'm in this kind of configuration with a Gustard R26, I retained the R2R after hesitating with the A26, I wanted something different from a subjective point of view with more distortion, less linear, more visceral. I'm currently selling my Rose RS 250, so the switch to the A8 may come up. I'm currently listening to the Eversolo DAC and the Gustard DAC, depending on what I like and the music I listen to. It's possible that I'll switch to the A8 in a while, after the first feedback from customers and others. I'm waiting for its Roon certification, which is essential for me. Overall, I'm very impressed with the A8.

4. Nice Monkey

@Werther44210
    Read a lot about using 2 DAC's for L+R versus using a single one. Never compared myself.
    Most well-known reviewers/audiophiles rate single versions just a tiny bit higher. This can be explained by:
    - The superior channel separation is the obvious goody of L+R separated but in reality not an issue as it is far below the perception level.
    - Using 2 units there might be minuscule differences in reproduction which in fact may impact the sound in very minor negative ways?
    So it looks impressive/superior in specifications/design but in practice it does not clearly improve the sound. No reviewer in fact rate it higher, but specific measurements may do. It is all about the weakest link and the A8 single design makes perfect sense to me.

Added the above to my conclusion as I think it is indeed relevant.

Just share your subjective feelings/experiences with us and I am curious to see if you ever will go for the A8.

Nutul likes this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Got some answers from Eversolo and updated my text accordingly once more.;)
    Those unknowns keep shrinking. :D

6. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

@Nice Monkey,
    I don't think we know how to understand two DACs to listen to at the same time, I have two inputs on my Hi Fi amp, having one playback in R2R and one in AKM DAC.
    Here's what the Audiophonics advice tells me about switching from A6 to A8:
    "It's an evolution with more technical refinements (relay switching attenuation etc ...) and with another converter that represents AKM's top of the range.
    At the time of writing we do not have the schematic of this I2S output and do not know what it is compatible with.
    If the DAC is not used I don't think the A8 is the most relevant (80% of the added value will not be used).
    It's not a second DAC but an SPDIF interface, also from AKM.
    Insofar as you have an external DAC I'm afraid that the gain is not proportional to the expense."
    So to think, if I opt or not for the A8 in a few months to have a listening with DAC R2R and very good DAC AKM. I'll let you know if I decide to buy an A8.

7. kc001

kc001 Active Member

It has been in the Eversolo page:
    upload_2023-11-3_12-53-31.png

ammar11 likes this.
  8. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

OK, thanks, I'll read it

9. StandardModel

StandardModel New Member

Look out HiFi Rose. (I have one)

10. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

I sell mine a RS 250, many bugs since the last update with Qobuz for example, I restored the factory settings and reinstall everything to make it work, some are not my luck if I look at the Forum Hi Fi Rose

11. Spizz

Spizz Member

No MultiChannel Native DSD which was a unique differentiator is missing which is important to me so this is an easy pass for me.

Hopefully they release a DSD Native MultiChannel A10

stevenskl and steveoat87 like this.
  12. Mjay71

Mjay71 Member

Pardon the ignorance, but does the additional DSP mean the A8 can be used as a DDC and will be able to pass a digital signal from the inputs to the digital outputs bypassing the DAC?

13. Nice Monkey

Still not clarified if that is supported but is unrelated to including a DSP.

Mjay71 likes this.
  14. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

@Nice Monkey I see no end in the wish-lists... the A8 is not yet out, and there is already a considerable things people would like to have.
    Again, it is a streamer, with some neat features; couldn't we just be happy with that, instead of pretending the moon out of every product...?

Just getting this weight off me, sorry for the rant... cheers everybody.

Glerup71 and Fergus like this.
  15. Nice Monkey

Hope make turn around the world. Nothing wrong with that.
    Lots of things asked are impossible but what does it really matter.

Fergus and Nutul like this.
  16. Jammer

Jammer Member

Hi,

looking at DAC session: https://www.eversolo.com/Attached/image/20231030/20231030140334_84256.jpg

is possible to observe 2 strange facts:

1) only one AK4499EX(EQ) chips?
    Comparing something in the same price tag, like Gustard A26, you can see a fully balanced design (gustard) that have 2 AK4499 to implement full channel separation for quality (i suppose)
    https://soundnews.net/uploads/gustard_a26_8.jpg

2) Looking on bottom right of posted photo is possible to read another AKM chip AK7739(...): looking ant AKM site the only possible chip is:
    https://www.akm.com/us/en/products/audio-voice-dsp/lineup-audio-voice-processor/ak7739vq/

it's defined as S/N 102dB for automotive purposes... that would like to run inline with a S/N 135dB of that DAC beast???

hope that they would like to take in consideration to balance S/N also because at moment is not possible to guess if external sources will be filtered into it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  17. kc001

kc001 Active Member

18. Nice Monkey

Repeat: Who says 2 Analog DAC modules is better? All A/B tests I have read judge a single design a tiny bit higher. It looks more impressive for sure.
    Channel separation which technical is better is in the inaudible range. Using 2 units apparently results in tiny audio differences having just a negative impact.

19. Nice Monkey

Again some unknowns revealed on the Eversolo sales pages. Updated the text accordingly:

What may be added to the AKM AK7739VQ DSP is the biggest unknown:
    1. DSP Volume Control, PEQ, FIR filtering, HPF/LPF, Loudness enhancement, Compressor and Delay
    2. Analog input recording via the DSP with preset/configurable Vinyl specific filters.
    3. Dirac Live smart room correction/adaptation (AKM is known to support this for vehicles)
    Features under 1 are in the specifications now. The statement that Analog Inputs are connected to the pre-AMP makes me a lot less optimistic for 2 and 3.

Not revealed: The Processor + Android version being used, MQA support drop, Digital Inputs routing to Outputs via XMOS.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  20. Jammer

Jammer Member

Sure it's visually impressive to have 2x DACs (4499EX).... but as it would "aim" to be with toroidal transformer and femto...
    I would to like only to point out so huge price bump perhaps was better to maximize every aspects ;)

in my opinion the DAC beast to beat at moment remains Gustard A26.... that implements AKM at its own potential.
    I had already AKM4499 (Topping E70 velvet) and several previous AKM to..... may i ask to enter beta testing?