Zidoo uhd5000 HDMI choice

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Sergii, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Sergii

Sergii New Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm a new member and just bought a uhd5000. Already read a lot of "correct settings stuff", but didn't see any recommendations to choose hdmi port. I have av receiver Marantz cinema 50 and my question is: should I connect video hdmi directly to my tv (philips oled 807) and audio hdmi to receiver or both of them to receiver or use just 1 hdmi video output which also transmitting an audio. Is that separate audio hdmi 1.4 mostly using for music or for movies as well?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Depends if you have a particular need for separate outputs (old HDMI 1.4 receiver and new HDMI 2 display for example), but in most cases (including yours) you would connect Zidoo > Receiver > Display.

Sergii likes this.
  3. dflaer

dflaer New Member

I would recommend using a direct connection to the TV, and outputting the sound to the receiver via a separate HDMI. In this case, the signal between the player and TV will be matched faster without the participation of the receiver, which leads to a reduction in errors due to intermediate equipment. But it is worth considering that at the moment, due to unstable firmware, errors may occur with such a connection.

gymnos and Sergii like this.
  4. Sergii

Sergii New Member

Thank you for recommendation. So, I'll need only 1 hdmi cable to connect it to av receiver and another one from receiver to TV? I thought also, if I use 1.4 hdmi for sound how it would work with dolby atmos. As I know for atmos it should be hdmi 2.0 minimum or it's not true?

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, that's the best way.

HDMI 1.4 supports TrueHD - I've never tried it, but since Atmos is carried in a TrueHD stream, as long as the receiver can decode it, HDMI 1.4 should transport it just fine.

Sergii likes this.
  6. Sergii

Sergii New Member

Thank you very much.

7. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

HDMI audio is faulty, you get short sound dropouts during playback, for this reason only HDMI Main should be used.

xskip likes this.
  8. royibo

royibo New Member

Hi Sergii,

I use the following setup for my UHD5000 (paired with Marantz stereo amplifier, LG TV and Samsung 7.1.2 soundbar):

Zidoo HDMI 1 (main) was connected to one of the HDMI inputs on Marantz stereo amplifier; then the Marantz HDMI output connected to the TV.

Zidoo DAC analog outputs connected to Marantz analog inputs.

To watch movies, turn OFF the internal DAC, the Marantz stereo amplifier passthrough video and audio to the TV which also sends multi-channel audio to the Samsung 7.1 soundbar. The Marantz amplifier transmits the AV signal to the TV even if it is turned off.

To listen (HR) music, turn ON the internal DAC, turn ON the Marantz stereo amplifier, turn ON the TV, and turn OFF the soundbar.

You need to have the correct assignment of inputs on your stereo amplifier and also on your TV.

Reason for the above configuration: Zidoo HDMI was connected to the Marantz amplifier to also have messages coming from this amplifier on TV while listening to music or changing configurations/parameters; otherwise, you need a free HDMI on your TV and commute the TV HDMI inputs as necessary.

Zidoo UHD5000 does not send the analog HR audio signal from the internal DAC via HDMI (only to the analog outputs).

I'm happy with this setup, even if at the beginning I forgot to turn the internal DAC on/off.

9. TheRedDevil7

TheRedDevil7 New Member

Hello, I confirm, this is what's happening to me, I can't understand why a company like Zidoo doesn't fix this problem, 1200€ for a player that can't do things properly drives me crazy.

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  10. dflaer

dflaer New Member

Do you have sound interruptions with separate HDMI Audio ->AVR on Zidoo UHD5000?
    What content does this error appear on?

11. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

UHD3000 has the problem and it seems to have been transferred to UHD 5000. For me, this occurs sporadically with all movies, regardless of the soundtrack. Approx. 1 to 3 times per movie. If you rewind, it no longer occurs in the same place.

By the way, because of this I would rename the thread to "Zidoo uhd5000 HDMI NO choice" :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  12. Sergii

Sergii New Member

Understood. Thanks to everybody for sharing the experience. I'm currently using main hdmi for movies and dac rca for music.

13. Gurn

Gurn New Member

Hi,
    Royibo,
    I have the UHD 5000 and a Marantz av10 processor. I have the HDMI going to my processor now, I would like to use the XLR analog outputs for audio. should I change my HDMI output or just change the audio settings in the Zidoo menus? thank you so much for your Insight!

14. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Member

I'm using dual HDMI on my Z2600, seems to work fine and stable, my receiver sees it as a 1080p60 8bit signal and all audio formats are decoded properly including TrueHD Atmos and DTSX, haven't tested a lot of PCM formats at different sample rates and bit depths but so far they seem fine too.

It's a bit annoying having to do it this way, but since my receiver doesn't support HDR10+, I prefer a direct connection for video for the few HDR10+ files I have.

15. royibo

royibo New Member

Hi Gurn,

I am very satisfied with the performance of my UHD5000. I bought it mainly to play HR music because I also have a Zidoo Z9X to play movies. But with the latest firmware (1.0.75) I have no problems playing both movies and music with the UHD5000.

To play music I enable the internal DAC which sends the audio signal ONLY to the analog outputs, (XLR and RCA), which are connected to the stereo amplifier, in my case Marantz NR1200.

To play movies, I turn off the internal DAC and the audio signal is sent via HDMI to the 7.1.4 home cinema system, in my case Samsung N950.

The HDMI output in my UHD5000 is set to "Main and secondary port separation mode". The HDMI video port is connected to the Marantz NR1200 whose HDMI output is connected to the television while the HDMI audio port is connected directly to the home cinema system, N950.

In my stereo amplifier, NR1200, I assigned the input mode for the media player to the analog signal, not digital.

For me, this is the optimal setup for playing music and movies at the highest quality.

gymnos likes this.
  16. Gurn

Gurn New Member

Royibo,
    Thank you for your prompt reply! Sorry, I still am a little confused though... so I don't use the Zidoo for music, only for movies. I thought I could separate the audio with the balanced outputs and still have the video stream via the HDMI cable is this not possible? I have a separate pre-processor which has analog inputs and a separate amplifier.
    Also what is the best setting for my video resolution? I have a Samsung
    Q80 that has HDR.

17. Gurn

Gurn New Member

So I guess my question simply put, is you can't separate audio from video via the analog outputs for video/movies? Main hdmi carries both. Analog output is only for music playback? I just "assumed" movie sound would be better thru the analogs.

Also how/can I get the Amazon Music app on the Zidoo?

18. royibo

royibo New Member

Hi Gurn,

I tried to implement your request in my system. I was able to get audio (while playing movies with the internal DAC turned ON) to the stereo amplifier (via the analog output), but only for 5 ÷ 15 seconds. After this short period, the video continued normally, but without sound.

The same movies play without problems in normal configuration, DAC OFF and audio sent to the TV (or soundbar) via HDMI.

I think movie audio is better through HDMI than stereo analog. Most movies have multi-channel audio which creates a spatial listening environment. In addition to dedicated soundbars, recent TVs can also play spatial sounds.

The UHD5000 only has stereo analog output from the internal DAC, while the digital outputs (HDMI, RF and optical) can handle multi-channel audio streams.

Music files (low or high resolution) play smoothly through both analog and digital outputs, but the quality will be better with the analog system.

19. Gurn

Gurn New Member

Thank you guys that answers my question! I'll just use the analog outputs for music.