What metaTag data format does the DMP-A6 support under v1.2.15?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Alan Rutlidge, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

My DMP-A6 automatically updated to V1.2.15 firmware this morning. However I've noticed the screens no longer display the track title, artist or album titles except when playing SACD ISO files which now only display the track title and the artist. o_O:confused:

Thinking that my recent metaTag updating of files that previously didn't have metaTags might have somehow buggered things up I copied a few of the untouched but previously tagged files from an old backup drive that displayed without problem under V1.2.10 onto a USB thumb drive and played them. No title, artist or album info was displayed. :( All I now see is the default scrolling filename of the track been played that would be displayed if no metaTag data was appended to the file.

So my question to the eversolo development team is what metaTag format(s) are supported by the DMP-A6 for MP3 ,WAV, DSF, DST, DFF and FLAC files? ID3V1, ID3V2, ID3 UTP-8, ID3 UTP-16, ID3 ISO-8859-1 ????

Do I need to do a factory reset for the screen to display the metaTag information correctly?

2. bob

bob Active Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

Can you show me a screenshot?
    Thank you.

3. Alan Rutlidge

Screenshot_20231010-175319 (before update).png
    Screen shot before V1.2.15 update. Note the artist's name of "Crowded House" is visible.

Screenshot_20231111-124740 (SACD ISO after update).png
    Screen shot playing a SACD ISO file after update to V.1.2.15. Not all information is displayed. Album title "Let's Dance" is missing.

Screenshot_20231111-124921 (after update).png
    Screen shot after V1.2.15 update. Note the track title, artist and album title are missing which were previously visible under previous firmware versions.

Screenshot_20231111-124646 (after update).png
    Screen shot after V1.2.15 update. Note the track title, artist and album title are missing which were previously visible under previous firmware versions.

Screenshot_20231111-125843 (after update).png

Attached Files:

4. Eric777

Eric777 Member

It's a pity. I haven't updated my DMP-A6 yet, so are you seeing a new option somewhere to show artist/album again?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  5. Stuj

Stuj Member

This has also happened to me, I’ve always been meticulous in tagging, there is something up that it worked prior but not now.

6. Alan Rutlidge

No there's isn't as far as I know and can find. I factory reset my unit but this didn't remedy the problem. All that happened is I lost all my installed apps as was expected when you do this.
    I tried rolling back to V1.1.80 of the firmware but you can't. Sure the box lets you do this but it becomes non-functional and just prompts you to "upgrade" (don't you just love this term when an upgrade is actually a downgrade? :() to v1.1.15 which I had to do to get the unit functional again.

This product and its ongoing problems are really starting to annoy me now. :mad: I'm thinking of removing it from my system, putting it back in its box, into the cupboard and waiting for an update that actually works. Either that or it's going back to the dealer for a full refund. Fortunately under Australian consumer law I believe I'm entitled to get my money back as this box has never delivered the full functionality features promised since day 1.

When I first purchased the DMP-A6 is worked relatively okay under earlier firmware which it immediately upgraded to the then latest version on connection to the internet, until you played files of different bitrates where you would get a momentary muting of the audio at the beginning of each track you had just skipped to. Unfortunately, eversolo appears to have chosen the path of adding bling features to the DMP-A6 on subsequent firmware upgrades rather than (IME and IMHO) addressing the basic problems with the unit. I guess attracting a new customer base with pretty screenshots of spectum displays and different ways of displaying the album artwork in several different ways is going to sell more units to customers interested in these features over basic reliable functionality is more of a priority. :(

So my advice for the moment is don't update your DMP-A6 to v1.2.15 if you value or use the existing functionality of the unit under older and perhaps more stable firmware.

7. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Add the path to the music library, shoud show all the info.
    This is not a regression issue, playing tracks via the file manager has always been like this, depending on the file formats.

AndyLu and Nutul like this.
  8. Eric777

Eric777 Member

I've updated and all is OK, I've always title, artist and album displayed o_O
    I think this subject can be closed....

ammar11 and Nutul like this.
  9. Alan Rutlidge

Had to re-build (rescan) the entire music library from scratch. It took hours as there were over 30k of titles to scan but finally got there. Thanks @mirror for explaining how the metadata is read by the player. I mistakenly thought it was read directly from the metaTags of the actual music file but apparently it is dependant on the track been added to the music library for this information to be displayed. I suppose this kind of means that if someone brings a USB thumbdrive with tagged music files on it and plugs it into your DMP-A6 and you have chosen not to add those files to your DMP-A6's music library you're not going to see anything beyond the track filename displayed?

Even if the track(s) are in the music library of your DMP-A6 there is still an inconsistency on how the information is displayed depending on how the track is accessed. If you access the track via the MUSIC search function the player displays what I believe is the correct screen full information which includes track title, artist, and album title, artwork and the icons for display spectrum, VU meters, favourites (heart shaped icon) and information (...) icon.
    However if you access the track via the FILES menu from the home screen it's a completely different result; with the screen displaying the track filename, artist, artwork, spectrum icon and VU meter icons only; except SACD ISO files where the full (what I classify as normal) information displayed no matter how the track is accessed and played. o_O:confused: Okay, I appreciate that in the case of SACD ISO files the metaTag data is actually imbedded within the ISO file so technically different from individual tagged WAV, MP3, FLAC, etc files

I would classify this as a bug rather than "a feature" of the operating system and I think most DMP-A6 users would probably agree with me on this point. Pity as I often initially access my music via the FILES menu which effectively prevents me from adding that track I'm currently playing to my favourites or searching for tracks by the same artist from the playing screen. To perform these functions requires accessing other screens to do this. Kinda tedious method IMHO. :(

10. kc001

kc001 Active Member

Alan, you could look at adding a Roon server on a NUC for your music,
    and use the A6 for streaming/playback as an option.

11. AndyLu

AndyLu Member

Roon forces the user to put everything in it's own curated music library. Also there is certainly no folder/file view in Roon (something Alan wants to use). If you ask for it on Roon's forum you almost get banned, because that is not how they want the 'user experience' to be ;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  12. AndyLu

AndyLu Member

Maybe I am not most users, but I don't completely agree with you here. Most music players I know (Foobar, Audirvana, JPlayer, Roon etc. etc.) rely on an internal database (that means scanning everything into a library) in order to display all the meta information and do all the sorting, grouping and searching. I do not think the Eversolo is much different here.

Some of these programs (Foobar, Audirvana, JRiver) can show a 'folder view', but basically that is just a different view (instead of 'artist', 'album' etc.) within there scanned music library. Those are not really file managers. The file manager in the Eversolo is more comparable with Windows file explorer or Mac's finder and not part of the music library.

You could ask the Eversolo developers for a 'folder view' within the music library (which would be an extra feature) or you could accept the slightly less information when using the file manager.

As said IMHO this is neither a 'feature' nor a bug. It is simply how databases in music players work.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  13. kc001

kc001 Active Member

You are right (even though the databases are not internal).
    However, some allow you to browse the library by Folder (eg Plex):
    upload_2023-11-12_15-5-19.png upload_2023-11-12_15-6-9.png
    But they don't show as much Metadata as you would expect, yet these are more than what the FILES app on the A6 show.

Yeah - but in the NUC/PC/Mac where Roon server software is installed (or any other music server like the ones you mentioned), you can use the native operating system (Windows/Mac OS/ Linux) ;)
    But, if you want to play a track by selecting it while browsing the folders of a drive, none of the dedicated server software will be able to comply.
    Only a standalone music player like foobar/musicbee etc will. And even then, it would need to also find the track metadata (if it's not embedded in the file/track).
    So in that regard, the A6 is doing a pretty good job.

AndyLu likes this.
  14. AndyLu

AndyLu Member

You are right. I misused the word 'internal' here. I meant to say a 'database file used by the player'.

kc001 likes this.