Z1000 Pro - Dolby Digital plus - no audio

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by NormanC, Aug 12, 2023.

1. NormanC

NormanC New Member

I have some issue getting sound with video and Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3).
    Not sure what I need to do in order to get audio.

I have tried with both raw and Auto setting (currently set to auto).
    Downmix enabled

If I re-encode the same file with AC3, it get audio just fine, but really don't wanna do that.

Zidoo>Citation soundbar>TV

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can you post your EDID:

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

3. NormanC

NormanC New Member

It is readable?

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  4. Markswift2003

Yes, perfect.

As I suspected, E-AC3 isn't supported, only AC3, DTS and LPCM:

Audio Data Block #1
    1 L-PCM, channels=8, rate=48,44.1,32kHz, bits=24,20,16
    1 L-PCM, channels=2, rate=48,44.1,32kHz, bits=24,20,16
    2 AC-3, channels=6, rate=48,44.1,32kHz, MBR=640
    7 DTS, channels=6, rate=48,44.1,32kHz, MBR=1536

However, E-AC3 soundtracks should default to AC3.

Attached Files:

5. NormanC

NormanC New Member

E-AC3 isn't supported by what device?
    both my soundbar and tv support it

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  6. Markswift2003

Not according to the EDID.

The PNPID of that EDID (the manufacturer ID) is SII which is Silicon Image Ltd - I assume that relates to the Soundbar

7. NormanC

NormanC New Member

hmmm
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/harman-kardon-citation-bar
    "The Citation Bar can handle both Dolby and DTS multichannel audio, but doesn’t support object-based audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X"

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-mcWDyJ73B5J/p_532CTBARGY/Harman-Kardon-Citation-Bar-Grey.html
    • 4K Pass-Through: The H/K soundbar lets you maintain 4K quality from source to screen by allowing 4K video to "pass through" and be displayed on a 4K TV or projector, without compromising image quality. Giving you the pure 4K experience makes this soundbar the perfect partner for 4K-capable TVs and Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal are also supported.
    • HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the soundbar's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
    • ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the soundbar speaker system's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the soundbar speaker through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.

8. NormanC

NormanC New Member

And shouldn't enabling the DTS downmixing send sound through anyway?

9. Markswift2003

Have to admit it's extremely restrictive - DTS and AC3 support only is straight out of the mid 90's.

And yet it does 4K for which DTS-HD, TrueHD and associated object oriented codecs are ubiquitous.

Very odd.

10. Markswift2003

Not for Dolby, no, but what I don't understand is that E-AC3 is backwards compatible with AC3 so you should get AC3 sound from an E-AC3 track with no problem.

11. NormanC

NormanC New Member

Hmmm, but I don't.
    Guess I will re-encode the audio then.

Thanks for trying :)

12. little-endian

little-endian New Member

At least with the Z9X, one can get a AC3-reencode from E-AC3 via S/PDIF output.

Although it's silly that one doesn't via HDMI (which would technically be perfectly possible of course), it's better than no audio at all for sure, despite having to fiddle around with the AVR's input setting then.

Maybe the Z1000 behaves similarly and thus it's worth a try.

13. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

I have similar situation, since Zidoo picks up information from television EDID, where my television is not capable to play certain audio like E-AC3, but I have my sound system connected to Zidoo by S/PDIF by coaxial cable and it works. But, my sound system is capable to play other codecs like AAC 5.1 and higher bitrates but Zidoo will not send it to S/PDIF output, only AAC 2.0. I used some older player, which does not use EDID information, connected it to my sound system and I have AAC5.1 audio played perfectly.

The idea I am posting this reply is related to possibility in new firmware to separate audio outputs of HDMI and S/PDIF in the way that HDMI uses EDID information as basis what audio data can be sent there and then ZIDOO can have different handling on S/PDIF output. This is just idea which looks possible.

14. DenTo

DenTo New Member

I have exactly the same problem with DD+ (E-AC-3) on my ZIDOO Z1000pro.....
    ZIDOO >>> Pioneer VSX-LX505 >>>TV

15. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

You have a nice AV receiver. What I would try is to check what HDMI In on Pioneer side is used, there are different inputs with different behavior, which means Zidoo picks up EDID from input you used. Then, I suggest you power off completely both Zidoo and Pioneer and television then turn on Zidoo first, complete boot, after that turn on Pioneer and finally television. Hopefully, you use HDMI 2.1 cable. Then, on Zidoo side, go to Settings/Display, HDCP and use HDCP 2.2.

If that fails, you can connect Zidoo directly to your television and connect Pioneer with digital coaxial cable to Zidoo. You will have DD+ and E-AC3 but no Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD since they need more bandwidth which can be done through HDMI eARC connections only.

16. DenTo

DenTo New Member

BD/DVD Input
    Well, that's not a solution to the problem, I have most of my movies in Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD...
    I'll try replacing the hdmi cable

17. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

As I see, you use two HDMI cables, one for Zidoo to Pioneer connection and other one for Pioneer to television connection. I would suggest you to use two same HDMI 2.1 cables if you have them or if you need to buy them, then go one by one, just to see if it is solution for your problem and to avoid extra costs.

Just to for checking, could you tell me if you can play 4k videos with Dolby Atmos without problem. If that is the case, then new cable will not solve anything, since you have a proper cable with proper bandwidth. Then, I recommend you to connect additionally Zidoo to Pioneer with digital coaxial cable and then in go to Settings/Audio and play little bit with turning off HDMI audio and turning on S/PDIF audio, RAW for DD+ and EAC3 content. It should work. Then you can go back and turn on HDMI RAW audio and turn off S/PDIF for you Dolby Atmos content.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  18. little-endian

little-endian New Member

The Zidoo player for sure won't send AAC 5.1 or AAC 2.0 because neither are part of the specification of HDMI and S/PDIF. In both cases, the player will decode the format to Multichannel-PCM in the case of HDMI or Stereo-PCM for S/PDIF.

19. DenTo

DenTo New Member

There's no problem with dolby atmos

20. DenTo

DenTo New Member

Well, that's not a real solution to the problem. DD+ should also pass through hdmi correctly. I wonder if this is a firmware issue or a hardware issue?