No audio w/ coax digital "IN" Eversolo DMP-A6

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Paco, May 18, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Paco

Paco New Member

I'm wanting to use it as a DAC or DAC/preamp. Nothing works with the coax digital input. Not sure what I could possibly be doing wrong here. My setup/tings are as follows:

• Downloaded app, connected to the device which is connected to my WiFi (not that this should matter)
    • Did NOT install an SSD card/drive
    • Set the input to Coax
    • Plugged in standard 75 Ohm digital coaxial cable to my CD player's digital out and the Eversolo's digital input
    • Set the output to RCA
    • Set the Volume Passthrough to "On" (I'm trying to play through my integrated amp)
    • Pushed play on CD player

No sound. No movement on "VU" meters. CD player shows that the disc is playing. Switching to the Topping D90 and the coax works fine.

I have confirmed that I get sound through the USB C input. It is the coax digital input that doesn't work at all. I do not have a device with optical out to test that input. The issue seems to be that it will not accept a 44.1kHz digital input from the coax input. 48 and 96k work fine, but this is a design flaw if that's the case.

What am I doing wrong here? Does an SSD card need to be installed for some reason? Is there some bitrate issue specific to my Rotel CD player's digital out and the Eversolo's digital coax in? I'm out of ideas.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Set the Volume Passthrough to "On" (I'm trying to play through my integrated amp) What is this one?

What does the status bar show?

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  3. Paco

Paco New Member

Here's the front panel and the Android app. Does this answer the question? Not sure what a status bar is.

The integrated amp is a Nord product with only RCA analog inputs. I did test the coax digital input of the Eversolo with a different device that outputs 24/48 or 48/96 and it works fine with that and no changes to settings were made. Hence, there is an issue with 44.1 digital input via the coax. That is a big problem for a device like this.

Attached Files:

4. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Checking.

5. mirror

We tested some devices and that 44.1k input was normal. Which model of Rotel CD player are you using?
    And did you tried 44.1k on your Parks Puffin Phono DSP device?
    coazial.jpg

6. Paco

Paco New Member

Thanks for the reply. The Rotel is an RCC 945 one of the vertical changers from the mid to late 90s. It works fine with the RME ADI2 and the Topping D90. I am not 100% sure, but I do believe that at first the Eversolo was at least displaying the sample rate (44.1) but now it shows nothing with the Rotel connected. I have switched coaxial cables and that didn't work either. Unfortunately the Puffin DSP only has four output options (24/48, 48/96, Analog and Mute) so I can't test 44.1 that way. I do have an Oppo UDP 105 or something like that in a box that I could try, but I'll have to hook it to my TV due to most of the UI being on the TV screen.

Neither the user manual nor the service manual available online for the RCC-945 are of any help either. No specification is provided for the digital out. That said, when plugged into the Topping D90 it does say 44.1kHz.

I'll update when I try the Oppo.

UPDATE: It works fine with the Oppo's 44.1kHz PCM output via coax, so it appears to be something unique to the Rotel. Only issue with the Oppo is that the VU meters barely move at all unless you turn it up REALLY loud, but for now I think the problem has been identified. Just really strange that CD player works fine with two other similar DAC topologies via 44.1 kHz PCM coax digital out. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  7. soongsl

soongsl New Member

Here I'd like to share my similar experience with Topping E50. I connect both players WiiM Pro & Zidoo Z1000 Pro COAX & SPDIF output to E50 COAX & SPDIF input. No signal receive from E50 on PCM sampling rate 44.1kHz. Others than 44.1 KHz sampling rate are working fine.
    Same source outputs connected to another DAC Topping DX5, works perfectly.

Contacted Topping and identified this is hardware problem on E50 need to be repair FOC.
    Tested the same connection after repaired by Topping in China, all sampling rates are working fine with COAX & SPDIF outputs thru E50 DAC now.

Afraid this may having similar issue on DMP-A6 because I also pre-ordered a unit, not received yet.

Nice Monkey likes this.
  8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The story sounds like a faulty component (maybe even being the design) being used with that Topping.
    As in China most components are used by many brands/products it can be a faulty batch/series.
    Good to signal these issues at the start of sales.

9. mirror

It is a different case. Tried Z1000 pro and WIIM Pro to A6 no problem

Nice Monkey likes this.
  10. Paco

Paco New Member

Well since my OP was a little bit panicked, I wanted to conclude my contribution to this thread by saying that for the purposes I'm using the new Eversolo product, it works perfectly. I won't be using it with the Rotel CD player and it seems to work fine for other disc players that output 16/44.1 so, I consider the issue closed. I'll close this account if that's possible and re-try to create one with my own email (this one is using a friend's).

11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

You can just change the email; no need to abort subscriptions and make new ones...

12. Bhaze9614

Bhaze9614 New Member

I'm trying to use my Project CD Box S with my Eversolo DMP-A6 via Coax In and I'm getting no sound.

I made sure to select Coax In as my source on the A6, am I doing something wrong?

Edit: My Pro-Ject CD Box S has died confirmed broken.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023