This 4K UHD Blu-Ray, issue is driving me insane, please help :)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DHP, Sep 16, 2022.

1. DHP

DHP Member

I am ripping Real Genius from Sony and Fatal Attraction from Paramount, tonight and will be testing them tomorrow, my guess is that they will both play correctly :)

2. DHP

DHP Member

Are you sure it is playing back correctly, looks like it is outputting via VS10 engine and not dolby vision natively?
    So could you please try to set hdr to automatic and see if it is outputting natively in dolby vision?
    I get same results if I set the z9x to force dolby vision via VS10, but not when I set it to automatic hdr selection :)

HDMI chain: z9x -> Denon X1700H -> 77" Sony A80J
    Have also tried z9x-> 77" Sony A80J -> eARC to Denon X1700H, made no difference...

3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

@DHP, you are right. There seems to be a bug with DV ISO file playback via BD Menu when VS10 is not used especially from boutique label releases. None of these played with DV.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    DHP likes this.
  4. DHP

DHP Member

Thank you very much, this helps a lot, and confirmed my findings :)

What do we do now to get this fixed, whom do we bring this info to, Zidoo, or is there another route to take to get the firmware teams attention?

5. AngryVirginian

@Markswift2003 FYI.

DHP likes this.
  6. DHP

DHP Member

So I should write him, is he in direct contact with the firmware development team, will do everything I can to supply them with the information they need

7. DHP

DHP Member

@Markswift2003

I have reported the issue in the firmware thread, now that the issue with "boutique label" manufactures have been confirmed in this thread, don't know if that is the correct thing to do, so please let me know how and what to do to get the firmware team working on the bus and solving it, I will provide all the info you need, just let me know please ?
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/beta-version-v6-4-7-20-for-z9x-z10-pro-z1000-pro-uhd3000-neo-x-neo-s-neo-alpha.94137/page-20#post-178645

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not sure I'd call Arrow Video a "Boutique" label ;) but anyway...

I've tested both an Arrow release and a Shout release and yes, in BD Menu mode, the video is presented in HDR10 only and not Dolby Vision.

However, I can find no issue with the frame rates - I get the following modes with the two movies I've tried:

Tenebrae (Arrow)
    Startup: 1080P23.972 444 BT709 8b 74MHz
    Top Menu: 1080P23.972 444 BT709 8b 74MHz
    Movie: 4K23.972 444 BT2020 10b HDR10 371MHz

Child's Play (Shout)
    Startup: 1080P23.972 444 BT709 8b 74MHz
    Top Menu: 4K24 444 BT2020 10b HDR10 371MHz
    Movie: 4K24 444 BT2020 10b HDR10 371MHz

So frame rates are working perfectly for me.

As far as getting this fixed is concerned, I'll send a debug log to the devs and see what they come up with...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    B0RN likes this.
  9. DHP

DHP Member

As I wrote a bit earlier the framerate issues got fixed for me by selecting TV-Led DV, I don't know if this was a fluke incident with the framerate, but the problem is gone now, so that was maybe just one of those weird unexplainable things that happens :oops:

I agree on the Arrow part, but nice that I am not going insane and that there is indeed an issue and super nice of you to bring this to the firmware development team :)

Cheers...
    Dennis

10. Markswift2003

Wasn't sure what you meant by "selecting TV-Led" since the output is HDR10?

DHP likes this.
  11. DHP

DHP Member

Ahh now I understand what you ment....
    On my testing if my settings were the cause for DV not being output from the uhd blu-ray discs that I was testing with, I played around with the TV Led DV and other DV and HDR settings and found that the issue with z9x outputting 60hz from 24p the discs I was having trouble with got fixed by selecting TV Led DV.
    The discs was still output in HDR in sted of DV but in the correct framerate...

Hope that makes sense, English is not my first language so sometimes it can be hard for me to make myself understood correctly, sorry...

Should I keep verification of what discs are output in incorrect HDR format and not their native DV format?

If so do you need a debug log or something like that?

12. Markswift2003

Ok - I think the 60Hz thing is a red herring and we can ignore it.

I've sent debug logs to the devs already so no need to do anything else.

13. DHP

DHP Member

Ok sounds good hopefully it's possible to fix it, keeping my fingers crossed :)

14. AngryVirginian

@DHP, out of curiosity, what don't you like about the VS10 engine?

15. DHP

DHP Member

I have no problem with the VS10 engine at all, but the issue at hand with the discs was the z9x was not decoding or passing on the original Dolby Vision meta data, but only seeing the discs as having HDR meta data and then applying the VS10 engine to the HDR data and therfore converting the HDR to "fake" Dolby Vision instead of sending the original Dolby Vision with its dynamic meta data to the display, and because of that loosing the main benefits of Dolby Vision, it's dynamic meta data, that is not available in the HDR information that the z9x vas decoding with the VS10 engine.

Hope this makes sense, because it's kind of hard to explain, English not being my first language :)

16. DHP

DHP Member

@Markswift2003

Any news in regards to the Dolby Vision UHD blu-ray playback bug, it's been popping up on more and more UHD blu-ray, all Kino Lorber titles are also affected, just to a another label of UHD discs to the list of affected labels ?
    Really hoping that this is being worked on because there is a lot of discs out there that are affected by the bug....

Cheers Dennis

17. Markswift2003

Sorry, not heard anything else since I sent the logs in.

18. DHP

DHP Member

Any chance you could try to get some info from the development team about the states of the fix for the issue?
    Cheers Dennis

19. Markswift2003

Already asked.

20. DHP

DHP Member

Thanks again and let me know what happens :)