Z9X and HBO Max

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by valli, May 19, 2022.

Tags:
  1. valli

valli New Member

After spending several days testing I found that HBO is working on all firmware versions until v6.1.05 , even with atmos sound but not with dolby vision
    From v6.1.10 , when try to play any movie I receive error "cant play title"
    From v6.1.10 change log i guess reason is "Add Dolby Vision support for online streaming app"
    Weird thing , after this error I can not play any movie with default player and it is working again only after restart
    I dont care if HBO dolby vision not work , there is any way to have option to uncheck this option in new firmwares and have HBO working again ?

X-hedgehog likes this.
  2. Streaming apps dont really work with these boxes. They dont have the proper licensing/entitlement to the content from the content providers. You are better off getting a firestick or an AppleTV, etc to run streaming apps.

3. valli

valli New Member

I slready have 2 fire stick but my question remain same , why Hbo Max work perfect with old firmware version and if it posible to just add another option to disable "Add Dolby Vision support for online streaming app" ?

4. X-hedgehog

X-hedgehog New Member

On older firmware (in my case before 6.1.15), streaming applications work without problems. Why write that Zidoo is not designed for this, even the specifications on this site indicate support for DRM licenses?
    The fact that developers do not want to solve this problem in new firmware. Perhaps because many have decided that this is the norm and do not report the problem.

5. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Zidoo never advertised the device to work with streaming services. Having the hardware to support the required DRM is just one part of getting official support from the streaming services. Among others are a huge quantity of devices sold which our niche market can’t really offer.
    I for one, and probably many others, use a dedicated second device for that anyway. There is a plethora of them available which you can use.
    Proper media players on the other hand you can count on one hand. Even if they change the behavior back, then something will change in the future which needs adjustments and so on. It will be a cat and mouse game. So it makes zero sense for Zidoo to focus on this feature.

There will never be a device that can do it all. Famous last words :D

OlivierQC likes this.
  6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Exactly - I stopped looking decades ago - Zidoo for local playback and a Shield for online playback - dead simple, and to be fair that's only because I'm using the Shield in the cinema - TVs support all the streaming services these days anyway, so there's no need for a box to do it in most cases.

OlivierQC likes this.
  7. X-hedgehog

X-hedgehog New Member

For example, here is a screenshot from the Zidoo 9x specification from this site.

Attached Files:

8. X-hedgehog

X-hedgehog New Member

Last year (until April, when firmware 6.2.0 appeared) I used Zidoo 9x for streaming.
    And it is not necessary to advise using third-party devices, to fix the claimed function when asked by developers.

9. ...Yeah, it says it supports the DRM...does NOT say that the content providers have licensed the device to actually work with their streaming platform. Thats a big difference in language. It doesnt say anywhere that it will work with any streaming apps.

Its a two way handshake, dude. The box might support the DRM needed to support HBO Max. That does NOT mean that Warner Media has officially allowed the Zidoo to stream anything from their content library. Its the same with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. They control who has access to stream, not the other way around.

Your firestick works with zero issues because Netflix, HBO, etc have officially licensed them to work. You are never going to get support for the kind of device that the Zidoo is.

This article explains what you are experiencing.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-widevine-drm-leaves-linux-users-in-the-cold/

The referenced supported devices list

https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001243

HBO controls what can stream and what cannot. This is not a Zidoo problem. Doesnt matter if it worked on a lower firmware...that probably worked because of some sort of backdoor. Just use your firestick, dude.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

To protect the quality of delivery of their content, all the major content providers have pretty much locked everything down.

11. X-hedgehog

X-hedgehog New Member

OK, Netflix and HBO require device certification.
    But there are many simple online cinemas and local IPTV providers that have enough DRM L1, they should work
    In addition, they also work on old firmware.

So this is a software problem that needs to be reported, and not repeated "Zidoo for local content".