Moved folders and files are corrupted

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Kyruss, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Kyruss

Kyruss New Member

Hello,
    have a nasty problem with my UHD3000.
    I have unfortunately noticed that when I move the data from a USB disk to an internal hard drive, with the file manager, then the data is deleted on the source, but does not appear in HT 4.0. Per web interface, the folders are visible, but they are empty. When I remove the disk and connect it to the PC, the folders are there. They are also the right size, but they cannot be opened. I get the message that the folder is damaged. Unfortunately, the folders can not be deleted or overwritten. Do any of you have an idea?

Greetings
    Matthias

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Do you move or copy data?
    Is it the folder on the USB disk that cannot be deleted? If yes and there is nothing else on the USB disk of importance then maybe reformat the disk.

3. Kyruss

Kyruss New Member

Hello,

I move and copy, case by case. If I move, then the source is deleted, as it should be. The folder on the internal disk of the Zidoo is the problem. It is not displayed in HT. When I use the web interface of the player from the PC, then I get the folders displayed, but they are empty. When I connect the disk to the PC, I get the folders displayed in Windows 10, but I can't open or delete them. I get the message that this folder would be damaged. If I use Ubuntu, then I can open the folders, but they are empty as when I use the web interface, but I can delete them.
    The disk is a Seagate Exos X18, GPT partitioned and NTFS formatted.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  4. Netmask

I’m a little more cautious and never use move on my pc or any device. I create a new folder on the destination and copy the file to it. After testing I then delete the original source. A bit tedious but at least I have never lost a file….

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@Kyruss
    I think this is entirely due to using a bigger than 16 TByte HDD. The LBA addressing using a 32-bit OS will wrap according my knowledge inevitably causing corruption.
    https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=576.0
    Only a 64-bit OS can deal with HDD's bigger than 17,6 TByte with my calculations.

Windows made an implicit upgrade to 64-bit with W10 as no new platforms were factory released with native W10 32-bit installed by my knowledge. Made a stupid huge mistake myself swapping to a new motherboard and upgrading W8 32-bit to W10 32-bit. Big big mistake but the reason was simple you can't upgrade W8 32-bit to W10 64-bit only do a clean new install.

Just reformat the drive at 17,5 TByte and the problem is likely gone.

@Netmask
    Use Move since ages and never had any problems with it using Windows. Never even tried it on Android. Copy and delete next is for sure a safer procedure.

Move on the same HDD just changes the File Allocation Table without touching the actual files themselves at all. As long as NTFS handling is well done this never fails.
    Alas I know the Android NTFS implementation to be quite poor so your way of working is definitely recommended using Android. Android did not implement NTFS according specifications they instead just made it working under assumed conditions which definitely is not the same thing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I used to do that, now I use this:

https://www.codesector.com/teracopy

It CRC checks all copies and moves and on move will not delete the original until the CRC is checked and passed. It integrates into the Windows shell perfectly.

To be honest, I've never had a CRC failure in all the many years I've used it which shows how robust the process is, but as a belt and braces approach it's nice to have peace of mind.

dr4go likes this.
  7. Nice Monkey

This is not about CRC errors but about the FAT not matching with the actual file allocations on the HDD. Just look at SMART statistics for CRC and other transfer errors.

8. Netmask

Yes I use Teracopy as well but I really haven't had the need to Move rather than Copy.

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I was replying to @Netmask 's comments about moving files safely, not talking about FAT.

10. Kyruss

Kyruss New Member

@Nice Monkey
    As far as the size of the hard disk is concerned, the manufacturers here calculate on the basis of 1000, while the computer uses the basis of 1024. Thus, the 18TB HDD becomes 17.5781. This value is below the 32-bit limit. After formatting, a net capacity of 16763.98 GigaByte remains. This is definitely within the range that the system should handle.
    I also asked my dealer again, he confirmed that the device can handle 18TB HDDs. He even offers packages with 18TB disks if you buy the device from him. Thus, he would unnecessarily deal with problems that he certainly does not want to have.

@Netmask
    I have not lost any data yet. I always have several backups and I move the data from an external SSD to the player, this is faster than via the network interface.

11. Nice Monkey

@Kyruss
    What is against trying a reduction to 16TByte and check if the problems are gone? Saw somebody reporting exactly that result with that same Seagate Exos X18 HDD.

12. Kyruss

Kyruss New Member

@Nice Monkey
    There is nothing against trying it.
    Any idea, what partition size I should use?
    Cause the usuable size I get, when I format the full Drive, is 16763.98 GigaByte.
    Also any idea, if it will be possibile, to Format the 2nd Partition and use it as a second Drive?
    Was this Post, that this helped in this forum? Just asking, cause I wasn't able to find anything about this via Google.

13. Nice Monkey

My 16 TB calculates revert back to a rounded 14900 Gigabyte. Good value to start with.
    If that works without problems then the next value would be 16300 Gigabyte. If that works too then I understood correctly how it works.

But I may be wrong of course. Never too old to learn. Eating is the proof of the pudding.

I have bad experiences with using multiple partitions but mostly with small ones in front of the main partition. Try first without and next you may try using the empty space with a 2nd partition. Frankly played extensively with HDD formats in the past on the previous generations of players/android OS. No idea if NTFS support changed with newer generations?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  14. Kyruss

Kyruss New Member

@Nice Monkey

Hello,

so I have now tried it once with another 18TB disk.
    On this I have created a partition with the size of the specified 14900 GigaBytes.
    Have this then partially filled on the PC and then inserted into the UHD3000. If I now transfer data from a USB drive to the disk, then this data is fine, after a reboot still present and playable.
    What I noticed here is the fact that at the beginning of the test, when reading the disk, I did get the correct number of files displayed in the overview, but in the HomeTheater many files were missing (there was only about half). Then I read the disk again, there were more, but still not all. Only after further attempts to read / update the disk, all files were then displayed in the HomeTheater.

If I install the other 18TB HD, transfer data, then turn the data also displayed. After a restart, these are then gone and can also no longer be deleted on the PC under WIn10, but only under Linux.

If I fill the Disk (full 18TB) on the PC, then insert, so all data is displayed and can be played. Even after a reboot, they are still present.

So it really seems to be the limit , at the 16TB, but only for writing oder editing Data. Reading seems to be no problem.
    I'll have to test that on occasion with an even larger USB hard drive. We already had a 36TB MyBook Duo successfully connected to a Samsung TV.

Then I changed the partition size of the 16763.98 GigaByte down to 16300GigaByte. You lose just under 0.5TB of space.
    But, the disk is readable, data transferred from a USB Disk is readable and remains so even after a reboot.

So you were 100% right. Thanks for your support.

To summarize, if you partition an 18TB in Win and enter the value of 16691200 MB in the volume size here, you can't use 464GB of the available 16764GB, but you have 1400GB more available than with a 16TB disk.

Since there is currently only a difference of €20.00 between an EXOS with 16TB and one with 18TB, I find the gain in storage for the additional price paid absolutely ok.

What strikes me only, is that the UHD3000 seems to have problems to read a whole collection at once in one go. Here I had to start a refresh several times in all my attempts so that all files were displayed in HomeTheater.

..but, that's another topic....

Greeting
    Matthias

15. Nice Monkey

Thanks' Matthias for testing this one. :) You are now the second person confirming these results.
    Everybody who bothers to read is warned now. ;)

1) Yes HT scrapping results do vary and may find additional movies on additional runs. This is beyond the topic as you already mentioned.
    2) USB drives/docks work via another protocol/driver and the story does not apply to those. It applies to the chips used for those though. So old(er) docking units may not work.

@Markswift2003 @mirror
    Expect to get some reaction and statement from Zidoo here. Obviously the test is open for reproduction with other brand/model HDD's.