OUTPUT MODE Zidoo UHD 3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by MORT BERNS, Oct 11, 2021.

1. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

I wonder why someone bothered to write a manual for these devices. They are about as useful as empty roll of toilet paper ... but you can always look through one end and use it as a pretend telescope.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that we are all just beta testers for some monstrous & evil :rolleyes:device that is yet to be developed.

muha and rozel like this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's a continuous process - I've been messing with media players for at over 20 years now and you're always a beta tester - it's the nature of these devices that they continue development until the next model comes along and then focus moves to that. The great thing is we can all have a say in how the boxes develop - there's a little bit of all of us in these things!

As for manuals, one of the big problems is that everyone's setup is different - the permutations are literally endless - so to produce a defacto manual detailing exactly how one should hook it up and what settings one should use with what types of files would be like flying to the moon. That's not to say that what we have couldn't be vastly improved but that's also where this forum comes in - as you've found, we're a friendly bunch and help is always close by.

rozel and MORT BERNS like this.
  3. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

Well, using the advice given in message 18, I am able to get both Video and Audio, but ...
    Video is Black/White, NO COLOR!!!
    So, you say using the APP via WiFi, it should work.
    The TV in ROOM B is on the same WiFi Network as is everything else.
    I gather that via WiFi, the Starserve is bypassed????
    I tried it with my BT remote and nothing happened.
    QUESTION 1: Which App?
    QUESTION 2: Where do I find it?
    QUESTION 3: How do I use it?
    Where-o-where has my doggie gone???:D

4. Markswift2003

Black and white! That's odd - that sounds like a SECAM signal being viewed in PAL!! And I assume you are NTSC :confused:

I don't have a UHD3000 so I can't check, but I assume there is a setting for the analogue TV system in the menu and this needs to match the system used by the TV in Room B since it's using baseband SD video on RCAs.

What I don't understand is that there is no difference to how it worked before when you had no sound other than @Nice Monkey 's instructions to toggle the audio.

As for the app - search for "Zidoo Controller" on the App Store. It's pretty self explanatory when you run it...

5. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

No, standard Australian TV is PAL 50Hz. Take a look at page 3 of the document I included in post#8 of this thread. To tell you the truth, I was so frustrated at not having sound when I first attempted Zidoo in ROOM B, I can't remember whether or not there was color in the Video.
    Dinner time now so I don't have time for full response.
    More tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. You've been grand!!!

6. Markswift2003

Sorry - I assumed you were from the States from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society website you posted...

I'm in the UK so it's the same here - check the TV isn't set to SECAM or even MESECAM - that's the only way I can think you'd get black and white image from a PAL signal (and I'm really reaching way back here...)

7. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

All prior suggestions yield same result. Video = BLACK/WHITE.

I wonder if I get an HDMI to RCA adapter (because Starserve input is RCA) and plug the HDMI into the ZIDOO Output on the back panel instead of into the RCA on the back panel, if that would work to get COLOR Output in ROOM B.

Obviously???:confused:, I couldn't use the method suggested by Nice Monkey to get AUDIO because I wouldn't be connecting anything by RCA. So would the HDMI give me the AUDIO?
    My 10 year-old DUNE HDMAX, has software to cope with ROOM B (by changing the Mode, easily done on DUNE Remote). ZIDOO is much less robust in that respect.

Pity that!!!:mad:

And ... there must not have been color output when I got the very first connect in ROOM B.

If anyone can lend me a brick wall, perhaps I can bang my head against it. Even if it hurt, at least I get something for my effort.o_O

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  8. Markswift2003

If the output from a composite video port is black and white it generally means that the standards are mismatched - you need to set them both the same on the Zidoo and the TV - ie both to PAL.

If one is SECAM and one is PAL, or one is NTSC and one is PAL then you'll get a black and white image (and mis-sized in the case of NTSC and PAL).

It's because the colour sub-carrier is at a different frequency in different TV systems.

9. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

The video in ROOM B is already set to PAL. In the ZIDOO settings menu, I saw a TAB that allowed choosing video. It is presently set at "Auto". There is an option of PAL. I'll give that a go and see what happens. I guess the worse thing to happen would be that the whole house would burst into flames and end all my worries about ZIDOO. If you don't hear from me after this, please send flowers to my widow.:eek:

I did select PAL option in Video Tab, gave it a try ... and the house did not burst into flames. I'm still alive.

It worked like a treat!:) Video was in color and enabling the sound as per Nice Monkey, sound worked as well. And as long as I don't "lock" PAL as viewing option, when I restart in ROOM A, video is in Auto mode.

Next question:p ... Would it be possible to program a button to do the Video as was done with the Audio? It's no big deal to go into settings and choose PAL, but it would be simpler for other people in the household if there were a shortcut.o_O

One more question:p:p ... How do you "un-program" (undo "un-map" an associated shortcut) a button?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  10. Markswift2003

Awesome! Glad there were no fireworks!

There's no way to program a button for PAL but remember way back at the start of all this where your problem was only that you couldn't get audio in Room B?

I assume at that time you had colour video in Room B because you didn't mention that - so how was it all connected and setup then?

It seems to me that all we need to do here is replicate how the system was setup back at the start and add in @Nice Monkey 's audio switching trick.

I don't think you can "un-program" a button as such but you can use the "Shortcut Keys" app to reassign them.