Z9X can't see HDMI 4K setting (update b6.3.0)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Visconti12, May 7, 2021.

1. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

As I said, it doesn’t work with the new cable but I can try again with old one. Then EDID won’t be the correct one as the answer will be for 1080p only.
    I’ll try to play around and also test it with another media player Zappiti One 4K which works flawlessly with a Denon AVR-X6200W.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

This is an EDID issue - it has nothing to do with the cable.

The EDID you posted for Zidoo > BenQ shows full 4K support to 60Hz with HDR support - this is the pure BENQ EDID. The VICs supported in the CEA extension are:

upload_2021-5-19_19-35-44.png

The EDID you posted with the Denon inline (and the splitter, which will always cause problems) only shows support to 1080p and no HDR support so the Zidoo can only do what it's told by the EDID. The VICs in that EDID are:

upload_2021-5-19_19-37-31.png

To diagnose this properly the wildcard (the splitter) needs removing so the chain is just Zidoo > Denon > BenQ regardless of what cables are used.

3. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

the Denon amp is from 2112 going by reviews
    it isnt 4k compliant for a start theres main issues

Connections:
    • 1080p-compatible HDMI digital audio/video switching 6 in, 1 out (including 1 front-panel input)
    • HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
    only option is zidoo to display ,and arc back (is it supported ? ) to the amp ,so you have 4k images but will lose atmos dts x

4. Markswift2003

I had a quick look at the manual and it does support 4K - HDMI 1.4 allows 12-bit 4:2:2 at 4K30 and 8-bit 4:2:0 at 4K60 but yeah, it's a bit long in the tooth now. HDMI 1.4 doesn't support HDR metadata either.

It doesn't do Atmos or DTS-X anyway and if you use ARC you lose DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD as well.

5. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Thanks for the analisys but the Z9X is what is causing the misconnection, although AVR-2113 isn't delivering the upmost.
    Test:
    1) Z9X through AVR-2113 with direct connection high-speed 4K 10m cable (without splitter) it gets 1080p only.
    2) Z9X through AVR-2113 with direct connection 8K optic fibre 10m cable (without splitter) it starts showing 3840x2160 then after 3'' goes black screen.
    3) FireTV 4K through AVR-2113 with direct connection (with and without splitter) it runs 380x2160 30Hz. I can see movies in HDR and 4K.

Then I do believe the actual firmware of Z9X is too demanding EDID and need a completely clear line to deliver 4K full range.

Attached Files:

6. Markswift2003

This is not a firmware issue, the problem is your projector has an HDMI 2 EDID and your amp is only HDMI 1.4 and the amp is mishandling the projector EDID.

I suspect the amp is incorrectly passing an HDMI 2 mode and then can't handle it, hence the black screen.

Try loading this EDID into the Zidoo.

This is HDMI 1.4 only with no HDR which is the limit of your amp:

https://mega.nz/file/0WJ2SLzY#f00U_SrqTbvFKFh0ANtbgo2nG_s5g_lXJWsA1XYBnz4

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  7. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

This EDID file works although got limited functions.
    Anyway I'll test another Denon AVR-X6200 to see the difference.
    For the video splitter, any suggestion to avoid mishandling?

Thanks Markswift2003 for your great help!!

8. Markswift2003

No problem ;)

Interesting to hear what the 6200 does - what do you mean by limited functions?

9. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I was refering to amp limits due to HMDI 1.4, since you don't get the wider capabilities of brand new projector (Benq W5700).

I'll post the result once I test it in the other Denon amp.

10. Markswift2003

That's correct, but as the amp limits to HDMI 1.4, that's expected - the only way to get all 4K modes and HDR is with an HDMI 2 amp - as you say, the 6200 will fix all this!!

But I think I know what happened now though - I suspect you set up as per here:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...f-for-rtd1619-players-includes-unbrick.82695/

This ok for HDMI 2 but for HDMI 1.4 the colour settings need to be:

Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV422 12BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT

This is because the posted settings are 400MHz and HDMI 1.4 only reaches 300MHz. So when you connect to the projector it's fine but when you connect to the amp it incorrectly passes the EDID back without truncating to HDMI 1.4 (because it doesn't know about HDMI 2) but then it finds that it isn't able to pass the 400MHz signals.

(this could also happen if you turned "Ignore EDID" on, which you shouldn't do!)

This is why the Firestick works because it uses the lower settings by default but in fact chooses to wrong mode by selecting 4K30 8-bit RGB rather than 4K60 420 8-bit, both of which are 300MHz and supported by HDMI 1.4.

Hope that makes sense :)

11. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Yes, very much sense.
    Thanks for the advice!!

12. Markswift2003

Let us know how you get on with the 6200...

13. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Finally I installed HDFury Vertex2 with Benq W5700 and EDID doesn't work off but custom BT.2020 LLDV although Vertex2 detect automatically the source and display. With EDID off and Z9X video the screen doesn't stabilize.

Attached Files:

14. Markswift2003

If you're still using the old amp, you still need to use an HDMI 1.4 EDID and set the Zidoo accordingly otherwise of copurse it won't work, Vertex or no Vertex.

I thought you were replacing the amp with a 6200?

15. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Old amp is used just for the audio (HDMI Audio Out). Even without this output, Z9X doesn't work with EDID off. It shows flashing screenshots and then empty screen.
    On the other hand, FireTV 4K works flawlessly with EDID off from first moment.
    The other amp AVR-X6200 is placed in one room of the house and projector is fixed to the ceiling of the other alongwith AVR-2113.

16. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I'm using Vertex2 as matrix/scaler and following HDFury guide lines HDMI cable must be capable 600MHz/18Gbps. It's important!!

Attached Files:

17. Markswift2003

Of course it's important - you should always use Premium Certified cables and even check the QR code to make sure they're genuine.

What I meant was that diagnosis requires a straight connection regardless what cables are used to remove as many variables as possible. Once that's done you can then narrow down the problem.

18. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Yes, that's right. And when the cable is long like 10m, then such kind of cable is a must.

19. Markswift2003

At 600MHz, it makes a difference even at just 1M.