Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Rockhard, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Rockhard

Rockhard New Member

Yet another HDR format that Z9X supports but not supported by Nvidia. Another thing to keep in mind when choosing the media player. If anyone wondering what it is you can google it. Notable streaming service that uses it is BBC iPlayer. "His Dark Materials" is one of the series that has this format. While the Z9X spec supports it, can anyone please verify it is indeed playable in Z9x. I can send you a link for a small 1 minute clip to test this . Please reply if anyone wants to test this

2. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

HLG is working fine for TV shows like His dark materials...enjoyable show ..thats on a panasonic z1000 oled

3. Rockhard

Rockhard New Member

Thanks. Does the tv flash any HLG logo when you play it from Zidoo?

4. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

my panasonic does think it shows HLG when i zidoo info button too

5. Rockhard

Rockhard New Member

Good to know. Panasonic OLEDs are the only one that supports all 4 HDR formats. Lucky you can still get Panasonic TVs in NZ. They've exited Australian market and GZ series was the last one they sold

6. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

i got mine a few months back since none of the new tvs coming in to nz were going to be a step up
    most were just higher prioced with lower models getting a numer increase up

plus i could get mine at 50 perc end of run sale :)
    new models are in nz now pretty much same stats just the higher price again

7. Oldirtydog

Oldirtydog Member

on LG C9 his dark materials is on HLG HDR ,at the info show only HLG :)

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Just to add, the Vertex confirms HLG being sent by the Zidoo.

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Good to know - HLG is the format used by the BBC and Sky for their broadcasts here in the UK and although Sky broadcast in HDR as well (Amazon/Netflix/Disney+), you apparently need a TV which supports HLG to watch those. Sky Cinema is now also showing HDR films. Older Samsungs (back to 2017) will support HLG over HDMI, but not via their native apps.

10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Now we are at streaming services: What about Technicolor as used by Amazon Prime?
    https://www.technicolor.com/
    Also that should be supported I think?

Quote: Technicolor's Advanced HDR comes in multiple flavors: SL-HDR1 is similar to HLG, in that it's fully backward-compatible with SDR TVs, allowing for one signal to rule them all; SL-HDR2 has dynamic metadata like HDR10 Plus and Dolby Vision; SL-HDR3 uses HLG as a base, but adds dynamic metadata.

Just to add something to the HDR family of implementations and complexity. The industry once more managed to make a real mess for a new in itself good new technology.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  11. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

Sony is also good with HGL, x950h here.
    tv info shows hgl
    this was playing the same show, S01 down, on to S02 :)