EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. vddan

vddan Active Member

After changing the edid you have to put HDR back on auto and then choose the desired HDR mode ...... this allows you to reset all of this !!!!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

HDR options available vary depending on the EDID especially when LLDV is involved so if you go from a DV EDID (your native TV EDID) and switch to a non DV EDID you should always reset the HDR options to Auto and it's good practice to exit from Settings and go back in again to refresh the HDR list - Just noticed @vddan said the same thing ;)

NTSC refresh rates would generally not be shown as a GUI resolution simply because they were a mathematical trick to allow correct scanning in CRT tubes for analogue TV. These days this is irrelevant and although there is still a lot of 29.97Hz material about and indeed being produced, there is no reason for a GUI to use these refreshes.

The same could be said for 23.976fps but for some bizarre reason that has been held over from its necessity in analogue broadcast and distribution into the digital world where its not needed but nevertheless has become ubiquitous.

As I said, this EDID will support those refresh rates if content of that refresh is played but if you really want to display the GUI at those refreshes (and I honestly have no idea why you'd want to), then set Ignore EDID in the Realtek Developer settings.

ursiel likes this.
  3. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Interesting.

I know with 23.976/24.000 it's important that the output is correct depending on which is being payed, because a stutter is noticeable if not. Years ago many players had this issue because 24.000 files were being output as 23.976 since the player could only output one or the other, not both, and you could see a stutter every 42 seconds or so. They finally figured all that out at some point so players could output both stutter-free depending on which framerate was being played. I assumed the same applied to 29.970/30.000 and 59.940/60.000. If I play a file that is 29.970, and it outputs at 30.000 or 60.000, would there be a stutter? That's why I figured it was still useful to have 29.970 and 59.940 available, to avoid frame stutters for that content. But maybe that doesn't apply to those framerates?

Or is this a case where even if 29.970 isn't available or selected as the GUI because it's unnecessary as a GUI option, the player would indeed output 29.970 or 59.940 if it's playing a file of one of those framerates? In other words, if I have 2160p 23.976 locked as the default GUI mode, and I play a 29.970 file, what would the Zidoo output? Would it output it as 29.970, 59.940, 30.000 or 60.000? Just trying to get an understanding of what outputs it chooses with certain framerates.

I'll reset the HDR settings and give it another try this weekend. Thanks to both of you for helping.

4. Markswift2003

There's a lot going on these days with frame rates, resolutions and legal HDMI modes - quite often what will look like a bug is actually a restriction due to illegal HDMI modes - if you have various resolutions from SD to UHD and various frame rates then the best option is to set Resolution to Auto AND make sure Auto Frame Rate and Auto Resolution is set.

In this way, if you play 480i29, it will play at 480i29. If you play 1080p59 it will play at 1080p59 etc etc...

In answer to your question - yes, if you play 29.97 material at 30Hz, it will stutter, but as I say, with everything in AUTO it should play fine at 29.97 even if the GUI is "locked" to 4K23 for example.

ursiel likes this.
  5. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. It sounds like the Zidoo makes a bit more sense with how it handles various framerates than the Dune. With Dune set at Auto, it forces upscaling to the maximum resolution you have set. There seems to be no way to properly output the source resolution and framerate, without framerate and aspect ratio issues of various types. I'll play around with the Zidoo and see how it performs with various media.

6. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Okay, so I tested some files to see how the "BT.2020 HDR10" EDID works for me.

- MKV with DV only:

With HDR set to "Auto":
    Player pops up "HDR10" logo, TV pops up HDR logo, RAISED BLACKS

With HDR set to "Mapping":
    Player pops up "HDR10" logo, TV pops up HDR logo, RAISED BLACKS (GUI is HDR)

With HDR set to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For DV content)":
    Player pops up "VS10 Dolby Vision" logo, TV pops up HDR logo

With HDR set to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For HDR, DV content)":

With HDR set to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For HDR content)":
    Player pops up "HDR10" logo, TV pops up HDR logo, RAISED BLACKS

For files containing DV only, if HDR is set to "VS10 for DV content" or "VS10 for HDR, DV content", VS10 is active and converts DV to HDR output.
    If HDR is set to "VS10 for HDR content", "Auto" or "Mapping", VS10 is not active, and DV is converted to HDR using the native processor, resulting in raised blacks.

-ISO containing HDR and DV:
    -MKV with HDR only:

With HDR set to "Auto":
    Player pops up "HDR10" logo, TV pops up HDR logo

With HDR set to "Mapping":
    Player pops up "HDR10" logo, TV pops up HDR logo, (GUI is HDR)

With HDR set to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For DV content)":
    Player pops up "HDR10" logo, TV pops up HDR logo

With HDR set to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For HDR, DV content)":

With HDR set to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For HDR content)":

Files with HDR only and files with both HDR and DV gave the same results.
    If HDR is set to "VS10 for HDR content" or "VS10 for HDR, DV content", VS10 is active.
    If HDR is set to "VS10 for DV content", "Auto" or "Mapping", VS10 is not active.

What I'm unsure on here is when is the player playing the DV layer and processing/converting it with VS10, and when is the player playing the HDR layer and processing it with VS10? Since VS10 is not active when HDR is set to "VS10 for DV content" and the file contains both HDR and DV, it sounds like it's playing the HDR10 layer with the native processor, not converting the DV layer to HDR. When HDR is set to "VS10 for HDR content" or "VS10 for HDR, DV content" and the file contains both HDR and DV, VS10 is active - but is VS10 playing and converting the DV layer to HDR10, or is it just processing the HDR10 layer?

I'd like to know when is the player using VS10 to process the DV layer and convert it to HDR, and when is it playing and processing the HDR layer only?

"Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For HDR, DV content)" seems to be the best all-around option for everything for me, but I'd like to know when I'm seeing just the HDR layer and if/when I'm seeing the converted DV layer.

7. Markswift2003

This is all expected behaviour, except the raised blacks.

But in that case I assume you're playing Profile 5 DV which does not have a compatibility layer and therefore requires VS10 engine to convert to HDR10.

Again, expected behaviour - in this case I assume Profile 7, hence no raised blacks with the Realtek engine because the compatibility layer is being used natively.

Yes, you should use "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For HDR, DV content)" since that will allow you to view Profile 5 correctly. To be clear there is no conversion with Profile 7, only Profile 5, and that requires VS10.

ursiel likes this.
  8. Artur

Artur New Member

Hello, Mark.
    Can you be so kind and add all audio formats to my EDID?
    I'm using HDMI splitter trying to connect hdmi 1.4 receiver and HDMI 2.0 TV...

Attached Files:

9. Markswift2003

Ok - try this..

What model LG TV is is?

Attached Files:

10. Artur

Artur New Member

Thank you, Mark.
    My TV is LG 65UM76107LB
    Gone trying...
    Playing movie with 4k HDR and DTS hd.
    Nope. No sound. I have HDR but receiver blinking it's display with DTS HD/DTS and no sound.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Markswift2003 likes this.
  11. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Yup, the DV-only file I tested is listed by mediainfo as:
    Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU

While the DV/HDR ISO I tested reads:
    Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

That's very helpful to understand how the different profiles will be handled. Thank you.

What I wasn't understanding is the compatibility layer. I think I've got it now. So if I play a profile-5 DV file (like many streaming /web files) it doesn't contain an HDR compatibility layer, so the VS10 engine is required to convert it to HDR, otherwise the Realtek engine will output it with raised blacks.

But if I play a profile-7 DV file (like from a UHD disc), it does contain an HDR10 compatibility layer, so the HDR is being output.

Correct?

To clarify, when HDR is set to "VS10 Engine (For HDR content)" or "VS10 Engine (For HDR, DV content)" for profile 7 files, it's the VS10 engine that's processing the HDR compatibility layer, which should be a benefit, correct?

12. Markswift2003

Yes, exactly - except that for "VS10 Engine (For HDR content)" DV content is not considered, so you should stick to "VS10 Engine (For HDR, DV content)".

ursiel likes this.
  13. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Perfect. Thanks a ton for helping me understand all of this.

I'm so glad I gave the Zidoo a shot. I was disappointed with the Dune Real Vision 4k because even though it has the same VS10 engine and even added a "disable DV"option, it just doesn't work correctly for me. Every combination of settings I tried still resulted in raised blacks if it contained DV or if I tried to use the VS10 engine. So frustrating. It's great for full blu-ray playback due to excellent menu support, but for HDR, and 3D, which for some reason has less crosstalk than the Dune, possibly due to some additional processing of the image by Dune, the Zidoo is the way to go for me.

14. Artur

Artur New Member

Tried every combination...
    What I've got
    SDR FHD - there is sound including HD.
    SDR 4K - there is sound including HD.
    HDR FHD&4K - silence.

When I turn on "ignoring EDID" in developer options - I have HDR with sound but no AFR.

Starting to think that my HDMI splitter do not support HDR.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  15. Markswift2003

Ok - so firstly AFR - I seem to remember that was a consequence of setting "Ignore EDID" so that's expected. However all that option does is open up the full list of resolutions to the player, as far as I know it has no effect on HDR or certainly audio - those are still controlled by the EDID, so something else is going on.

I suspect that since the Zidoo can now output HDR metadata because of the new EDID that the receiver doesn't know how to handle the signal - theoretically it should just ignore it, but obviously that's not happening and it doesn't explain why "Ignore EDID" works as far as HDR is concerned...

Do you have a link to the splitter you use?

16. Artur

Artur New Member

Hi, Mark.
    It's a appeared that I have a problem with my receiver.
    Tried another one and it worked like a сharm.
    Now I have HDR and True HD at the same time!
    Mark, thank you very much for your help!
    Zidoo rules!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  17. Markswift2003

Excellent - thanks for the update :)

18. EWERTONWP

EWERTONWP New Member

Hello good afternoon.

How do I know, or where do I see, if my TV is LLDV compatible?

I have a Panasonic FZ950 OLED, it only supports HDR10/HDR10+, no dolby vision.

I read about TVs that support HDR10+ could support dolby vision through LLDV.

How would I do that on this TV?

Thanks.

19. Markswift2003

Technically all TVs that support HDR10 can support LLDV, HDR10+ is irrelevant to this.

What you have to do is fool the player into thinking the TV supports LLDV by manipulating the EDID (this can be done by loading the LLDV EDID from the Zidoo) but, and here's the rub, you need to be able to manually switch your TV into its HDR10 mode.

Most projectors allow this, but most TVs don't so in that case you need a HDFury device to send a dummy HDR10 message to the TV to switch it into HDR.

20. EWERTONWP

EWERTONWP New Member

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.

I have the HDFury AVR Key. Would it do that? Or does it need to be another kind of HDFury?

Or how can I tell if my TV manually switches to HDR? Is there any way to see this?

Thanks.