UHD3000: A major error with latest firmware?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Netmask, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

2. Netmask

3. muha

muha Active Member

HT 4.1.17 no problems whatsoever,
    only thing that I noticed is variable frame rate
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 23.564 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 24.390 fps

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

5. Markswift2003

v6.3.40 is the same:

!cid_334d4202-32b5-49d2-a554-f15d8252b847@winuk.jpg

6. Markswift2003

Was just going to post before you sent the link that although I don't have many 4:3 movies, of the ones I could find, and these vary from SD 720x576 to HD 1440x1080 and various odd resolutions in between, including one 1.67:1 movie, all played correctly.

I'm really not sure what's going on here...

7. Markswift2003

What is interesting is, again, The Black Cat was filmed in Academy Ratio (1.37:1) and the resolution of that file is close at 1.36:1 (possibly a mastering choice to keep clean edges).

The file's Display Aspect Ratio is 4:3 which is not correct for the movie and yet the Zidoo still presents correctly at 1.36:1 (with full height).

8. Netmask

As I said could it be a UHD3000 anomaly? Since posting I’ve been carefully checking a number of widescreen movies and I noticed even 16:9, which should fill the screen appear also to be cropped top and bottom. Avatar was shot in the camera as 2:35 but matted for release as 16:9, however the IMAX version got out as 2:35. Anyway I either have a faulty machine or a dud firmware version as far as UHD3000 users. Can I safely install the G version over the one I have? Basically to see if there is any difference. I guess it’s difficult and maybe hazardous to try and go back. Apart from background graphics etc none of my files fills the screen vertically.

9. Markswift2003

I think the first thing we need is someone with a UHD3000 to test your file....

10. Netmask

Yes indeed! In the meantime I fired up KODI on the SONY and all the files played correctly including Avatar in 16:9 as the director wanted. I know a bit about this from friends who worked on it, two expats from Sydney. Personally I prefer 2:35 myself. Hope I can sort this without waiting for the next update. I do hope someone from Zidoo reads these comments. We are due to come out of lockdown mid October depending on vaccination rate, which is good only limited by short supplies of the stuff.. We have some freedoms however we can now picnic in the park with champagne and alcohol generally in groups of 5.

Mabon likes this.
  11. muha

muha Active Member

I have cousin in Sydney, know all about strict lockdowns but also about failure with vaccine rollout in spring and summer. Before going out why dont you try installing Kodi on UHD3000 and check the videos?
    As for drinking I need only one friend.

12. Netmask

Yes I know about KODI and Zidoo. No need, it’s preinstalled on my TV and my QNAP NAS as well with Plex. So lots of options. Vaccine rate is taking off now at last, so far we have managed to keep total deaths down to just over one thousand for the whole country since the start last year.

13. Netmask

Actually that image doesn't look correct for a 4:3 as its positioned up near the top of your TV with a black bar at the bottom as well as both sides. It looks around 1.72 aspect ratio.
    A 4:3 image should be full screen vertically with black bars either side of the image like this 4:3 movie shown on Popcorn A-500 or KODI via the TV http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?attachments/a500-jpg.7820/ if you measure the width of your image and the height and work out the aspect ration I'm sure you will find it is not 4:3

Just zoomed in and spotted the brand name just below the image...in all that black!!! My bad! delete!!

I have written direct to Zidoo with the hope they will have a fix. I can't leave my suburb at the moment so going to the company I bought it from in Sydney is not possible.

14. muha

muha Active Member

@Netmask I was suggesting installing Kodi just to check would you have same problem with different software.

Netmask likes this.
  15. Netmask

My gut feeling is it's an error in the firmware associated with the media player. And yes I have considered trying to install an alternative media player if there is such a beast. Kodi would fit the bill, but it would be good if there was say an Android version of VLC or MPC-HC etc that can be installed, basically just for testing purposes.

BTW Still images are fine no matter what their aspect ratio, Zidoo seems to accommodate. That's what got me thinking it was in the handling of video in the media player part of the firmware. Personally I think the Kodi interface is a bit clunky and prefer Plex but that's not available as Zidoo doesn't have a Plex server AFAIK. I have written to Zidoo but I won't hold my breath as few large companies these days bother to reply or even acknowledge.

16. muha

muha Active Member

If you like Plex, I can confirm that Emby server works just fine on Zidoo. Right now I am using it as dlna server for music.

17. Netmask

Where do you find an appropriate version for the Zidoo to download? Which model Zidoo do you have?

18. muha

muha Active Member

19. Markswift2003

I know you corrected yourself, but you piqued my curiosity so I got a tape measure out :)

I have my aspect ratio set to "Fit" which in this case shows the same as "original" due to the file's vertical being 1080px.

The image is 125.5 x 95.5cm which is a ratio of 1.36:1.

The file being 1464 x 1080px is also at a ratio of 1.36:1.

As I said earlier, .01 away from the true Academy Ratio of 1.37:1 in which the film was shot so the Zidoo is honouring the correct aspect ratio in which it should be viewed.

(By the way, 1.72 would be 1857 x 1080px, nearly filling the screen. Standard HDTV (16:9) is 1.78:1)

Quick question - what happens when you play this file and disretely set the aspect ratio to 4:3 in the Zidoo Aspect Ratio settings?

20. Netmask

Absolutely nothing! same as fit
    16:9 stretches the full width of the screen with no vertical change - same for full