Zidoo Z9X - NFS poor performance

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by PhenixS1970, Oct 24, 2022.

1. PhenixS1970

PhenixS1970 New Member

Hi All,

New owner and I'm very impressed with the Z9X.

Dedicated 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos home theatre room with JVC N5, Anthem AVM 60, nCORE digital amplifiers, M&K 150 speakers, JL Audio subwoofer.

My media is on a Synology DS918+ and I have multiple media players connected via NFS (Apple TV 2017, Shield Pro). Use Plex Server on NAS for these players.

Never had any NFS performance issues but with the Z9X I'm getting very poor performance (spooling, fast forward doesn't work at max speed).

Connected now via SMB (SMB2, max SMB3 setup in NAS) and no issues anymore.

Just trying to understand why NFS is so slow.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  2. Are you using WiFi or direct cables?
    I found that SMB worked better over WiFi, but now that I've got a direct cable, have switched over to NFS.

This is my experience though - other may differ

3. PhenixS1970

PhenixS1970 New Member

Hardwired. Most important is that with SMB all seems to be working fine.

4. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

Yep I'm getting the exact same thing on my Z9X also connected to a Synology DS420+, NFS playback is very poor performance on smaller files like TV episodes. It will start n stop constantly almost like buffering. Play the exact same file through SMB workings perfectly fine. Play the exact same file over NFS with the Oppo perfectly fine too. Go back to NFS on Zidoo get the issue once again. All connections are over ethernet.

5. PhenixS1970

PhenixS1970 New Member

Thanks a lot, Thanh. I also have an Oppo (203) and no problems at all with NFS.

6. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

how do you tell the zidoo how to connect ??
    in the file browser on the zidoo i see, is that what you are referring to ??
    is this different under the movie wall thing, or zmbc ??

have my first synology arriving later this week. debating if i should just add another hard drive to my asus router and skip it. (ds 220+ )

7. PhenixS1970

PhenixS1970 New Member

Yes in de file browser you can chose how to mount your shares, NFS or SMB or a local drive.

If you opt for zmbc, the customized Z-Kodi fork you have the same options.

So 2 different ways to watch your content and equal flexibility to mount your preferred storage options.