Zidoo X1 4K 60fps playback

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X1' started by myroman, Jul 24, 2015.

1. myroman

myroman New Member

Is it this device capable of 4K playback? What am I doing wrong?

2. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

You will not get 4k@60fps because it does not have an HDMI 2 port.

30fps is the best that you will get.

3. spring

spring Guest

We next device can support 4k@60p.

4. barisg

barisg Member

I have downloaded this file; http://distribution.bbb3d.renderfarming.net/video/mp4/bbb_sunflower_native_60fps_normal.mp4

However I only get sound. Kodi, MxPlayer, Es Player, TvdVideo did not manage to play this file in 60fps. I would suggest the company not to advertise as 4K player, but to say 4K at 30fps only.

Because the avarage user does not necessarily need to know the difference between 30fps and 60fps, 8bits or 11 bits. Thus, the specifications at marketing websites should be corrected. Otherwise, Zidoo and it's retailers will have complaint bombardement and return requests.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

The average user is even less likely to own a 4k TV or perhaps even know what it is and so will be highly unlikely to come anywhere near 4k content.

4k*2k is generally recognised as the marketing term for 4k@30fps

6. barisg

barisg Member

When the average user tend to buy 4K Smart TV, these new sets will be able to play 4K @ 60fps and there will be no need to have X1. If not, 60fps content is already on the market and some people are buying these media players to see them all from the same box, like this one; in 60fps or this one;

Even if "4k*2k is generally recognised as the marketing term for 4k@30fps", the average user shall not be captured with this marketing trap.

Official arrival date of HDMI 2.0 is September 2013. 2 years ago.

7. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

When 4k TV's came out, only those over $10k came with HDMI 2 and even today, so many of them at the bottom and middle end range of the market still only have HDMI 1.4.

Those people paying large amounts of money for a 4k TV will not be looking at cheap Android TV boxes to play content on anyway.

Then if you look at how much 4k content there really is for mass market appeal, it is very tiny.

Even HD is by no means universal and many broadcasters are still broadcasting in SD.

4k will take a long time yet before it takes off as mainstream.

The bandwidth required for eben compressed streams is still large and not really commercially viable yet.

So by the time we do see mainstream 4k, the current line of boxes will be seen as antiques.

Marketing of a new technology is often different to how the reality stacks up and this is true will most of it.

8. barisg

barisg Member

Bluesmanuk, I agree all.

However, there are some 60fps capable 4K Android devices are on the market and some more are on presale. They all have HDMI 2.0 support as well and their prices are just %20 to %50 percent more than X1. X1 will definately target entry level average customer but should advertise and market their product correctly and at the right price.
    Competition is very tense in this market and technology pull is so strong that SoC manufacturers are delivering chipsets in so short time. 60 fps 4K, 64bit, 2GB RAM, Bluetooth 4.0 will define the product specification and market price soon, so I advise Zidoo to go for this direction, rather than market entry level products and listen too many complaints about peformance.

I hope someone from Zidoo marketing and technical deparments are reading these.

9. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Yes there are now more devices with HDMI 2.

I bought a Tronsmart Orion last September but even with HDMi 2 the software has yet to delivery what the hardware is capable of.

I definitely agree that 2Gb RAM is the minimum that we should be seeing these days.

Sher power and performance is something that is likely to be of more interest to those wishing to squeeze every last drop of it with heavy usage, gaming and the like, which is why the Nvidia shield will be popular amongst that group of people who will also be willing to pay the premium price.

Competition is very intense indeed and as we have seen only in the last couple of weeks, the rush to get RK3368 boxes to market has resulted in some vendors releasing them with more inferior specification.

I agree about bluetooth as it is now a fairly standard component of most boxes.

How much can be placed in a box to keep it at a low price is going to be potentially difficult though if there is also to be good support behind a product.

So many boxes and sticks have been produced over the years with appalling support, which is where Zidoo do have an advantage, so perhaps more possibility of buying a product from them that will be used for longer, rather than what tends to happen, with people continuously buying the latest box in the hope that it will be better, only to be disappointed and ending up paying more money over time.

The competition is really going to ramp up soon with the introduction of Intel Atom X3/X5/X7 devices and the inevitable rise of Windows use.

Perhaps there is scope here for Zidoo to look at life outside of Android and look at Windows because Windows requires less vendor support, has more versatility and doesn't need custom roms to be produced to get around the limitations of Android.

We all know Windows well, so it might end up killing Android as Google aren't really developing it at a pace that will make it as mature an OS as Windows.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how the market develops.

As far as the X1 is concerned, for what it is marketed at, which is a media player, the sheer quality of video display in terms of colour and depth does make it very appealing in first use.

Yes there are some bugs and things to improve but as far as overall picture quality is concerned, it beats any other box that I have used hands down.

10. barisg

barisg Member

I think this refers to Intel Atom supported, Windows 8.1 Bing/Ubuntu/Android based, 2GB RAM capable media devices. This will definately pave the way for Zidoo and help them to differentiate their brand name.

Openelec is not a solution as Kodi does not provide any credible performance for, at least, 4K videos. Without 4K performance, marketing will not be easy from today.

Also, around 16000 Antutu score does not really help.